PDA

View Full Version : Thread "ownership"

Himiko
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I am curious who controls whether a thread gets deleted or not. The starter? The folks that post to it? or the administration?

If the original poster doesn't like the way the posters are responding even though it is done courteously does that mean all the responses to a thread get erased. What is the point of sharing experiences and offering alternative points of view. I thought that was the idea of a forum? Why bother to respond if your efforts can simply be wiped out because someone doesn't like your opinion.

Where does it say the originator has that kind of power? Seems pretty selfish to me........................ and not a policy that stimulate confidence to post only to have it deleted.

ladyfalconer
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I was seriously wondering that myself......

Saluqi
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
The decision about which threads are shutdown is based on: 1) Subject matter; 2) response to subject matter; and 3) the mood of the moderator at the moment they happen upon said thread. Pretty subjective really, but hey, we're all human and all subject to our own opinions, biases, and experience.

Oh yeah, if the originator of a thread requests that their thread be shut down, then we usually comply, many times there are reasons for such a request that neither we as moderators nor general the public have any business inquiring about.

Himiko
05-05-2010, 11:52 PM
Well, in my experience as an administrator on a forum that had over 1 million members the policy was once a post is made it belongs to the forum and its members. If the material breaks some context rules, those posts were removed (or edited) but to allow members to dictate thread removal is a very slippery slope. You may soon find members regularly asking a thread be removed and only because they don't like all the posts. A thread should not belong to a single member as it is the contribution of several or many members, so it belongs to the community. I assume members of this forum don't have delete powers for in part that exact reason.

We also had the rule that photos could not be removed as that often destroys the whole purpose of a thread. Repeat offenders were banned.

Giving a thread started the right to expect to control the life of a thread is sure not in the spirit of community and could well result it members deciding not to waste their time contributing only to have their efforts wiped out.

I would also expect moderators not to act based on their mood at the time but rather within the bounds of a set of rules or policies that are of public record. Otherwise the whole situation plays into the hands of the "kid that wants to take their ball and go home because things aren't going their way".

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, in my experience as an administrator on a forum that had over 1 million members the policy was once a post is made it belongs to the forum and its members. If the material breaks some context rules, those posts were removed (or edited) but to allow members to dictate thread removal is a very slippery slope. You may soon find members regularly asking a thread be removed and only because they don't like all the posts. A thread should not belong to a single member as it is the contribution of several or many members, so it belongs to the community. I assume members of this forum don't have delete powers for in part that exact reason.

We also had the rule that photos could not be removed as that often destroys the whole purpose of a thread. Repeat offenders were banned.

Giving a thread started the right to expect to control the life of a thread is sure not in the spirit of community and could well result it members deciding not to waste their time contributing only to have their efforts wiped out.

I would also expect moderators not to act based on their mood at the time but rather within the bounds of a set of rules or policies that are of public record. Otherwise the whole situation plays into the hands of the "kid that wants to take their ball and go home because things aren't going their way".

You are welcome to use whatever rules you want to on YOUR forum and we will use the rules that we use here on NAFEX. We decide on a case by case basis if we should shut down a thread based on a request by its originator, there are many extenuating circumstances that we have dealt with in regards to those requests. As far as pictures go, seriously? You ban people if they take down the pictures? Sounds a little like the old east Germany to me. We won't be banning a person if they delete pictures, sorry if that doesn't suit you.

My comment about us shutting down threads based on our mood was more or less tongue in cheek. I say more or less because we're human and we are not devoid of emotion, everything that we do has an emotional response, some things more than others, but occasionally a subject, or a response to a subject, or a response from a particular member will rub us the wrong way and measures will be taken.

If you feel that you are wasting your time by contributing to a thread because it may get deleted at some future date, then why contribute at all? Why waste your time sitting in front of a computer and typing out your thoughts and opinions to people who most of the time don't even really understand what you're saying? C'mon let's face it, we're all just spankin' the proverbial monkey by wasting time on internet forums, we should be out there flying birds, searching for nests, making hoods, building perches, etc. Despite the fact that we are a generation of falconers who can "practice" the sport without ever going to the field, I think that NAFEX does provide a valuable outlet, sure there's lots of chaf here but there's also lots of meat. The how-tos are invaluable, the idea exchange is excellent, the chance to voice opinions on falconry related politics is crucial.

So, now Bill let me ask you. Why this thread? What threads have we shutdown or deleted that you thought we should not have? What threads have photos missing where you think we should ban the originator?

As a moderator and in person, I can be a little harsh and sarcastic in my responses, and I know lots of people think I'm a pompous ass, but I treat everyone the same, I'd treat you the same in person as I do here on NAFEX. I don't care how I'm perceived because I'm passionate about this sport, and I work hard at the state level and I try to stay on top of the national issues. So if folks don't like me that's fine, as far as my moderating goes I try to be impartial and fair, but not everyone is going to see things the way I do.

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey Bill,

Not that I'm stickler on rules or anything, but since you brought it up. I just visited your forum and did not see a link to NAFEX on there, you might review this thread:

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4458

If you made arrangements with Chris to not have a link to NAFEX, that's fine, otherwise you ought to consider adding a link. Thanks.

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Okay, now I see, it was the giant hood thread that initiated this thread. Well, I'm guessing the originator wanted it shut down because everyone was jumping him, not to mention any names here. I'll see about reopening it.

Himiko
05-06-2010, 09:15 AM
You are welcome to use whatever rules you want to on YOUR forum and we will use the rules that we use here on NAFEX. We decide on a case by case basis if we should shut down a thread based on a request by its originator, there are many extenuating circumstances that we have dealt with in regards to those requests. As far as pictures go, seriously? You ban people if they take down the pictures? Sounds a little like the old east Germany to me. We won't be banning a person if they delete pictures, sorry if that doesn't suit you.

My comment about us shutting down threads based on our mood was more or less tongue in cheek. I say more or less because we're human and we are not devoid of emotion, everything that we do has an emotional response, some things more than others, but occasionally a subject, or a response to a subject, or a response from a particular member will rub us the wrong way and measures will be taken.

If you feel that you are wasting your time by contributing to a thread because it may get deleted at some future date, then why contribute at all? Why waste your time sitting in front of a computer and typing out your thoughts and opinions to people who most of the time don't even really understand what you're saying? C'mon let's face it, we're all just spankin' the proverbial monkey by wasting time on internet forums, we should be out there flying birds, searching for nests, making hoods, building perches, etc. Despite the fact that we are a generation of falconers who can "practice" the sport without ever going to the field, I think that NAFEX does provide a valuable outlet, sure there's lots of chaf here but there's also lots of meat. The how-tos are invaluable, the idea exchange is excellent, the chance to voice opinions on falconry related politics is crucial.

So, now Bill let me ask you. Why this thread? What threads have we shutdown or deleted that you thought we should not have? What threads have photos missing where you think we should ban the originator?

As a moderator and in person, I can be a little harsh and sarcastic in my responses, and I know lots of people think I'm a pompous ass, but I treat everyone the same, I'd treat you the same in person as I do here on NAFEX. I don't care how I'm perceived because I'm passionate about this sport, and I work hard at the state level and I try to stay on top of the national issues. So if folks don't like me that's fine, as far as my moderating goes I try to be impartial and fair, but not everyone is going to see things the way I do.

Some very interesting attitudes expressed here. I could write much more but wouldn't wish to continue "Spanking my monkey" is such a public place. If this is Chris' position as well I think you will find many members will not be impressed. I won't bother to waste more of my time writing here or posting photos and rather than ask you to remove my photos (the results of "spanking my monkey" I will do so myself. Feel free to remove any of my text posts as well because they are the result of that same activity.

Himiko
05-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Hey Bill,

Not that I'm stickler on rules or anything, but since you brought it up. I just visited your forum and did not see a link to NAFEX on there, you might review this thread:

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4458

If you made arrangements with Chris to not have a link to NAFEX, that's fine, otherwise you ought to consider adding a link. Thanks.

If you were allowed to join that forum you would find a link to this forum as I noted to Chris but thanks for being so thorough. Now because you treat everyone the same best get on checking all those other links.

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Bill,

You brought this on yourself, you asked and I answered in a truthful manner, no one forces you to post on NAFEX, if you don't like it, then leave. Simple.

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
If you were allowed to join that forum you would find a link to this forum as I noted to Chris but thanks for being so thorough. Now because you treat everyone the same best get on checking all those other links.

Bill,

Did you read what I wrote? I said: "If you made arrangements with Chris to not have a link to NAFEX, that's fine, otherwise you ought to consider adding a link."

Now I see that you did make arrangements with Chris, so my apologies. NAFEX fills all of my falconry forum needs, so no, I wouldn't join your forum anyway.

goshawks00
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
In the spirit in which you seem to moderate posts paul, maybe it would be best to close this thread, or possibly take it off line.
...and yes what you read is what i meant..

sevristh
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I won't bother to waste more of my time writing here or posting photos...

clappclapp

Saluqi
05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't see the point in closing the thread Barry. Folks who have been on here for a long time know how I moderate, if you or anyone else objects to my ways, or the ways others moderate, then I encourage them to post it here, or send me a PM if you're uncomfortable stating your opinion in public. I would be curious to hear people's opinions about what exactly in my long winded post to Bill was so disturbing to him, the post was not directed at him specifically, it was directed to me and it was directed to everyone. I can handle the criticism, I'm not thin skinned.

FredFogg
05-06-2010, 11:38 AM
I personally know how Bill feels but I also see it from NAFEX and Chris's view(Paul is just a moderator running the forum the way Chris wants). I have posted things that were removed and let's face it, we all never think what we say is all that bad, but sometimes it is inappropriate or not worded correctly or just plain not thought out before posting. Most instances, Chris and the moderators had every right to remove or delete part of the post. Sure, I didn't like it and I still think some things were OK and they just took them the wrong way. But as Paul said, this is Chris's forum, he created it for falconers to have a laid back place to communicate and I really believe it is truly that. I have been on other falconry forums and the way this one is set up, the content, the people and yes, the moderators are the best of any forum I have been on. And banning someone because they removed a picture is silly. What if I go on photobucket to clean up some of my pictures becaue I have too many and I delete a bunch that were on a thread I started 3 years ago and forgot about? And what if I don't have them saved anywhere that I could put them back up? Should I be banned, I think not! That is just plain silly. So Bill, take a step back, really think about what you are saying and continue enjoying this forum or if you want, hit the road! Like Chris has told me several times, this forum will go on without you! LOL toungeout:D

frootdog
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
If this is Chris' position as well I think you will find many members will not be impressed.

Funny Bill that you were the one that was an a** on the GH thread and the only one boo hooing that it was taken down. I think you will find that the rest of us don't really care how Chris runs the forum. It's his forum to do with as he pleases. If someone wants a thread taken down because they are taking an undue beating for sharing info then it falls on those that were being a******s not the originator.

tony123abc
05-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey, I demand the little squiggly marks things be inserted in the prior post as needed so that I may keep my boyish innocence here. I do not like potty mouth posts! And for the record, if you take my post down, I WILL post more of my modeling pics! I just got back from Kohls. Man, some people need to lighten up.

JRedig
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Man, some people need to lighten up.

Watchu talkin' 'bout willis??
http://www.vorkt.com/album/data/1/normal_Internet-SeriousBusiness.jpg

;):Dtoungeout

Dirthawking
05-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey, I demand the little squiggly marks things be inserted in the prior post as needed so that I may keep my boyish innocence here.I do not like potty mouth posts!

Done, and you so have got some confusion going on!! Boyish??? toungeout

And for the record, if you take my post down, I WILL post more of my modeling pics! I just got back from Kohls. Man, some people need to lighten up.

I DARE YOU!!! I DOUBLE DOG DARE YA!!! boxingg

tony123abc
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Okay, 1 middle age fat guy in a skirt coming up.

Zarafia
05-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Don't forget the purse, uh... I mean hawking bag.

hawkstir
05-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Now this thread is getting worthy of this forum.

Heatherg
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Here is a past due/much needed and surely deserved THANK YOU!!! to Paul and the rest of the moderators. ya'll keep things in check :D

goshawks00
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Paul I only suggested that the thread be closed as it was appearing to go down "that" slope...
I have as a long time member of this site spoken to you a couple times about this type of approach...

You have done a very fair job moderating this site for the most part... thanks, and yes I totally agree with your sentiments about yourself and find it refreshing that you recognize it...toungeout

""As a moderator and in person, I can be a little harsh and sarcastic in my responses, and I know lots of people think I'm a pompous ass, but I treat everyone the same, I'd treat you the same in person as I do here on NAFEX. I don't care how I'm perceived because I'm passionate about this sport, and I work hard at the state level and I try to stay on top of the national issues. So if folks don't like me that's fine, as far as my moderating goes I try to be impartial and fair, but not everyone is going to see things the way I do"".

sharptail
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM

As a moderator and in person, I can be a little harsh and sarcastic in my responses, and I know lots of people think I'm a pompous ass, but I treat everyone the same, I'd treat you the same in person as I do here on NAFEX. I don't care how I'm perceived because I'm passionate about this sport, and I work hard at the state level and I try to stay on top of the national issues. So if folks don't like me that's fine, as far as my moderating goes I try to be impartial and fair, but not everyone is going to see things the way I do.This thread has given me a chuckle! I too have had things deleted that I would have prefered aired. It is a abrupt reminder that forums are private property and also viewed by the public, not all of which are pro falconry. A lot of Pauls posts are just how I have found him to be as a mod here. A little sarcastic, on the less end of tongue in cheek. A good reminder that there are opposing views.

Pompus or not he has shut down some of my posts, but he has also worked to get some reopened when he found some redeaming content, without being asked too. He has shut down portions of one thread by mutual agreement and later the whole thread on someone elses request after consulting me and then later reopening it after sensitive deadlines had past.

I can't say that everytime that something gets shut down here that I agree that it should have been, but I am not here to agree with everyone.

It is a bit offensive to see Paul write about a generation of falconer as "practicing" without entering the field, but it made me think and there are falconers that fly out of the car window in town and only get out of the rig to retrieve a bird on a kill.

What this and other forums has made me realize is my place and my sense of where I fit it the world falconry community as well as a much more informed perspective of the community its self.

wyodjm
05-06-2010, 06:05 PM
What this and other forums has made me realize is my place and my sense of where I fit in the world falconry community as well as a much more informed perspective of the community itself.

Ain't that the truth! Well said Jeff.

GregMik
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Greg

Chris L.
05-14-2010, 11:47 PM
I am sorry for my late response to this thread. I have been traveling across the country again moving the rest of my stuff and Stef to Roswell. I hope this is the last trip!

Now for the question at hand

I am curious who controls whether a thread gets deleted or not. The starter? The folks that post to it? or the administration?

Bill,

Ultimately I do. I created this forum and set the rules that I feel need to be enforced or followed to make sure that this forum is successful. There are many circumstances that come with each thread and each post. With that, there are no set in stone rules to follow.I cannot make everyone happy. It is absolutely impossible. Bill, you of all people should understand this. As you said you have 1 million members, I am sure you make "wrong decisions" too sometimes.

If the author of the thread wants it deleted we, for the most part, delete the thread or close it. I do that as a courtesy to the author. Sometimes they change their mind and don't like what is happening. That is fine with me. As Paul said, we all have emotion and people change their minds. Just because it is written here does not mean it will stay. Again, all this is on a thread by thread basis. I wish I could just say XYZ will get zapped. The real world just doesn't work like that.

I trust in the moderators to uphold the vision I have set forth and frankly I think they do one hell of a job. No one likes to be the bad guy and I am asking them to do that as a favor to me. I cannot thank them enough for what they do.

If someone does not like the way the forum is run or they feel they are being mistreated, by all means PM me and I will tell you my thoughts and we can discuss it. They need not go after the moderators. They are only doing what I have asked them to do.

I really like how this thread has turned out. Thank you for those who have posted and made light of the situation. It really makes me happy.

Fred, Dude you crack me up. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Like Chris has told me several times, this forum will go on without you! LOL

Paul is a sarcastic ass!! But I love the guy like a brother.

I will end with this, our goal is not to make people angry or make you feel like you cannot post. Out of the 7018 Threads and 121,820 Posts there have only been a handful of them deleted or closed. Please step back and see if it's really that bad.

..and for those that still dont like it , you can fall back on Fred's quote.... Ok that was a joke.. dont flood my PM box please. ;) peaceepeacee

GregMik
05-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I will end with this, our goal is not to make people angry or make you feel like you cannot post. Out of the 7018 Threads and 121,820 Posts there have only been a handful of them deleted or closed. Please step back and see if it's really that bad.

..and for those that still dont like it , you can fall back on Fred's quote.... Ok that was a joke.. dont flood my PM box please. ;) peaceepeacee

Chris,

You and your team have done an awesome job with NAFEX!

We all made a choice to join this forum, and we can all make a choice to leave. We joined the forum because we agreed to the rules that you set forth. We leave on the same footing.

I will send you a PM now...LOL

Greg

Chris L.
05-15-2010, 12:11 AM
Chris,

You and your team have done an awesome job with NAFEX!

We all made a choice to join this forum, and we can all make a choice to leave. We joined the forum because we agreed to the rules that you set forth. We leave on the same footing.

I will send you a PM now...LOL

Greg

Greg,

Thank you for the kind words.

I must say this forum would be nothing without it's members. You all are why we keep NAFEX up and somewhat in a straight line ;)

tony123abc
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I hate it here! No one takes what I say seriously! You all mock me! But alas, I've no place else to go. So........I guess............ I will continue. Even though it hurts me deep inside.

Ross
05-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I hate it here! No one takes what I say seriously! You all mock me! But alas, I've no place else to go. So........I guess............ I will continue. Even though it hurts me deep inside.

Just when we thought you'd pack your dolls in your purse and find somewhere else to play.

tony123abc
05-15-2010, 11:09 AM
They are not DOLLS! They are ACTION figures!

Chris L.
05-15-2010, 11:22 AM
They are not DOLLS! They are ACTION figures!

Hey Tony, in the movie the Gladiator, Russell Crowe plays with Dolls too. :eek: Dude was a bad mofo!!

Dirthawking
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Hey Tony, in the movie the Gladiator, Russell Crowe plays with Dolls too. :eek: Dude was a bad mofo!!

He also wore a skirt! Tony.....your new hero. awwwww!!! toungeout

tony123abc
05-15-2010, 11:42 AM
See.......... you guys mock me! Gladiator was a pretty good flick.

Dirthawking
05-15-2010, 01:35 PM
with some of the pictures you have posted (which I can not seem to find right now) you make it so easy! toungeout

tony123abc
05-15-2010, 01:52 PM
They call me bullseye.