PDA

View Full Version : Ed Pitcher gives his reasons

RLBagley
05-21-2010, 08:38 PM
There's been a growing discussion about the new book "The Flying of Falcons" by Ed Pitcher and Ricardo Velarde.

Both Ed and Ricardo have been good friends and Marshall customers over the years, so we added the book to the Marshall Radio website since we support it's originality and observations on the development of our birds.

Just last week, Ed sent this interesting summary of what the book is, what it isn't, and why they even did it. I think his own words here might be of interest to customers and others:

"This book is the end result of my forty years of flying falcons and over twenty-five years of constant encouragement by Ricardo Velarde. Our friendship started in 1978 at a North American Falconers Association meet in Alamosa, Colorado. For some reason Ricardo was able to appreciate my approach to falconry. It was not long after we met that he began to suggest that I write down my thoughts and methods while working with my falcons. I was not that interested in writing a book and really didn’t feel competent as an aspiring falconer. Because of my own goals as a young falconer, I was more consumed with the efforts required to be successful at this unique sport.

Ricardo tried everything he could think of to help me record my thoughts and experiences. He suggested using a micro-recorder as I drove my car or during times when I was struck with insightful ideas, that didn’t work. Later, he gave me a hard covered notebook and suggested I write down my thinking about training falcons. That didn’t work either. It seemed that I never had the book or recorder with me when I was struck with ideas or thoughts about my approach to flying falcons. What did work was using any piece of paper I could find to write down my moments of inspiration. Paper shopping bags, old receipts and the backside of envelopes began to make up the bulk of my recording efforts. This approach drove my wife nuts because bits and pieces of paper were soon littering our house. She tried to help organize the litter and began using manila folders filled with my scribbling notes.

Ricardo finally assembled about a hundred pages of script in order to show me that we actually had a project that needed to be completed. With his constant encouragement, the book gradually began to take shape. I was slowly convinced to make the effort of writing down my approach to managing falcons. By using my field experiences with falcons as examples, I make an attempt to entertain the reader as I relate the more didactic explanations of my thinking.

My efforts are guided by what I hope are new insights to the natural developmental sequence of most raptors. Birds of prey mature as our children do. Falcons learn about the world around them and then interact with their environment in an intelligent way just as we do. Falcons learn and interact with what I call in the book, “the neighborhood.” This cognitive ability of falcons to assess and then interact convinced me that operate conditioning and repetitive training techniques were not required. Falcons are much more than ‘instinct driven’ animals.

With the endless help from Ricardo and our editor, Bergitta Kater, we assembled the book into an autobiographical format that carries the reader through my experiences and revelations over my forty years as a falconer. Instead of using the typical numbered chapters usually seen in most books, the book is divided into sections. Each section is introduced with a quote from the book that Ricardo felt would outline the basic intent of each section. The reader is then taken through subsections that further illustrate my intentions with hawking stories or other examples.

My early years in falconry are the initial sections with the people and falcons that influenced my first interpretations of this artful and complex sport. The next section deals with reflective collections of my interpretations in order to prepare the reader for the more complex sections that follow. Falcon development, their cognitive and predatory abilities are outlined in the next sections of the book. Appreciation of falcon development and their cognitive abilities is pivotal to understanding the motivations of falcons and birds of prey in general. I discuss what I think are important milestones in falcon development such as Fidelity Factor, Fear Factor, Categorical Thinking and Trust. These sections carry the reader through what I hope are insightful ways to understand and then manage falcons in a new and more enlightened way.

Traditional Falconry is discussed as a matter of reference to this new way of falcon management. The traditional approach to falconry and its practices should not be abandoned but instead, they can be and I think should be, built upon. The more we advance our thinking about raptor behavior and development, the more we can establish the real partnership between man and hawk in this sport we call falconry. This new approach replaces the traditional interpretation of strict weight control as a life long management tool. Later in the book, I discuss the insightful wisdom of the traditional falconers who fully reclaimed falcons to their natural robust weights after the initial lower weights of training and manning.

American falconers in particular took the initial goals of weight reduction in falcon training and reclamation as the final goal of management. These interpretations of strict weight management resulted from the traditional literature not outlining weight management of falcons being flown at game. The wisdom of the traditional falconers knew wild taken falcons only needed to tolerate the falconer and then be allowed to return to their full capacity as an avian predator. And, the traditional falconers knew wild falcons did not need to be taught ‘how to fly.’ ‘Teaching’ falcons how to fly is relatively new in the falconry literature. For the most part it is not needed.

With these new perspectives on weight management, the developmental sequences of young falcons and the cognitive abilities of falcons, I soon abandoned training falcons. I began to understand what motivated my falcons to remain faithful when flying for extended periods of time at the limits of binoculars. Enlisting the natural growth and development of falcons and understanding the concepts of fidelity exposed me to another level of falconry that could be routinely experienced.

Most falconers already know most of what is written in our recent publication. What I bring to the table is clarification of well-established practices. The idea of natural development, self-actualization and eventually being free of the scale add clarity to what many falconers have already experienced. Encouraging the falconer to trust his/her falcons through understanding the falcon’s mindset allows each falconer to take his/her relationships with both falcons and people to the next level.

I began to assemble my experiences with flying falcons that reflected the natural attributes of falcons instead of the dogma of training techniques. This more liberal approach allowed me to observe the response of falcons being flown at quarry. The subtle influence of eye contact between predator and prey provided insights to the benefits of falcons being flown slightly out of position instead of directly overhead. The story in the book about the Black Shaheen followed by the section on eye contact outline this influence on my approach to falcon management. Most birds of prey will respond in a positive and natural way if managed to their best benefit. Each section of the book carries this simple theme to my approach.

In the long run my efforts are simply a synthesis of what traditional falconers always knew and what contemporary falconers have replaced with structured training regimes. Read the book with the knowledge that my approach is no more than a perspective supported by personal experience. I encourage the reader to use my perspective in a way that improves their falconry rather than emulating mine.

- Ed Pitcher"

You can see more about this, including the great new artwork, by going here (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/522-ed-pitchers-book).

RB

Tony James
05-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Robert,

thanks for posting that, as it clarifies one particular point of importance to me, regarding Ed's understanding of the relationship between 'traditional' falconry and strict weight control.
I'd love to meet Ed sometime to discuss the overlapping wisdoms of the different approaches and philosophies --- do you think you might be able to drag him over to Europe with you sometime soon?
Hope you're well my friend,

best wishes,

Tony.

sharptail
05-22-2010, 01:18 PM
"Traditional Falconry is discussed as a matter of reference to this new way of falcon management. The traditional approach to falconry and its practices should not be abandoned but instead, they can be and I think should be, built upon. The more we advance our thinking about raptor behavior and development, the more we can establish the real partnership between man and hawk in this sport we call falconry. This new approach replaces the traditional interpretation of strict weight control as a life long management tool. Later in the book, I discuss the insightful wisdom of the traditional falconers who fully reclaimed falcons to their natural robust weights after the initial lower weights of training and manning.

American falconers in particular took the initial goals of weight reduction in falcon training and reclamation as the final goal of management. These interpretations of strict weight management resulted from the traditional literature not outlining weight management of falcons being flown at game. The wisdom of the traditional falconers knew wild taken falcons only needed to tolerate the falconer and then be allowed to return to their full capacity as an avian predator. And, the traditional falconers knew wild falcons did not need to be taught ‘how to fly.’ ‘Teaching’ falcons how to fly is relatively new in the falconry literature. For the most part it is not needed.

With these new perspectives on weight management, the developmental sequences of young falcons and the cognitive abilities of falcons, I soon abandoned training falcons. I began to understand what motivated my falcons to remain faithful when flying for extended periods of time at the limits of binoculars. Enlisting the natural growth and development of falcons and understanding the concepts of fidelity exposed me to another level of falconry that could be routinely experienced."

This Quote, is where the rubber meets the road for me. Way too often in communication, mostly with younger falconers, I have witnessed the disconnect between 'traditional' falconers and what is here discribed as the contemporary. Too many think that the best of ancient falconers exibit little insight, were dogmatic about training and flew falcons that exibited there limitations. In some, there is almost an arrogants stemming from the new teachings in amimal science, the idea that the traditionalist is ignorant, of the newest and therefore Best ways to TRAIN raptors.

Ed is obviously a pioneer in the realization in how to motivate the development of falcons to become more in the partenrship that falconry is, than any unaided wild falcon could ever be. There are many more falconers who have learned to understand how to fly falcons in the 80's and 90's. Much of this is due, to some varing degree, to Ed's inspirations, and in some lucky cases, his personal influences. There were several others that also had great insight that contributed and some very good articles have been printed in the HAWK CHALK, AMERICAN FALCONRY Magizine and other palces, over the many years.

Tony James
05-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'd love it if you came over too. What a time we could all have!
One day perhaps?

Best wishes,

Tony.

sharptail
05-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi Tony,
Thanks for the invite! It sounds like a great time to me! Perhaps one day!

RLBagley
05-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Robert,

thanks for posting that, as it clarifies one particular point of importance to me, regarding Ed's understanding of the relationship between 'traditional' falconry and strict weight control.
I'd love to meet Ed sometime to discuss the overlapping wisdoms of the different approaches and philosophies --- do you think you might be able to drag him over to Europe with you sometime soon?
Hope you're well my friend,

best wishes,

Tony.

Hello again Tony-

An even better idea would be to host you over here, spend some time with Ed in the field and at his home. With all the new American friends you've got on this Forum, I'd bet a fantastic trip could be organized.

Anyway, thanks as always for your even-tempered and thoughtful observations. On one continent or another, I look forward to seeing you later this year.

RB

Tony James
05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Hello again Tony-

An even better idea would be to host you over here, spend some time with Ed in the field and at his home. With all the new American friends you've got on this Forum, I'd bet a fantastic trip could be organized.

Anyway, thanks as always for your even-tempered and thoughtful observations. On one continent or another, I look forward to seeing you later this year.

RB

Hi Robert,

that's a very nice idea, and very nice of you to suggest it.

This coming season looks to be full of options, some firmly organised, others still slightly up in the air, but if you could tolerate a visit from a normally even-tempered english falconer, maybe we should try to get something sorted out for next season?

It's funny, but I was made to think of Ed just yesterday as I watched the local peregrines with a few friends. Having watched the two adults take to the air and make height into the sun, it was obvious they were on a mission. A few minutes later, scanning with binoculars, I spotted a pigeon that by it's body language was well aware that it had been targeted. As it flew in my direction, the image of the stooping peregrine appeared perhaps a quarter mile behind it. Moments later the chance had been missed, the pigeon having somehow avoided what looked like certain death. The flight reminded me of something I had imagined while reading The Flying of Falcons, and the comparison makes me smile.

Best wishes,

Tony.

RLBagley
06-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Hi Robert,

that's a very nice idea, and very nice of you to suggest it.

This coming season looks to be full of options, some firmly organised, others still slightly up in the air, but if you could tolerate a visit from a normally even-tempered english falconer, maybe we should try to get something sorted out for next season?

It's funny, but I was made to think of Ed just yesterday as I watched the local peregrines with a few friends. Having watched the two adults take to the air and make height into the sun, it was obvious they were on a mission. A few minutes later, scanning with binoculars, I spotted a pigeon that by it's body language was well aware that it had been targeted. As it flew in my direction, the image of the stooping peregrine appeared perhaps a quarter mile behind it. Moments later the chance had been missed, the pigeon having somehow avoided what looked like certain death. The flight reminded me of something I had imagined while reading The Flying of Falcons, and the comparison makes me smile.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Well, it turns out that we will most likely see you this year after all, at WoodHall Spa this fall, and failing that, the Austrian Meet or the German Meet the week after? We'll have some new products there to make you smile, and maybe Matt Gage could tag along just for the comedy?

More later,
RB

Tony James
06-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, it turns out that we will most likely see you this year after all, at WoodHall Spa this fall, and failing that, the Austrian Meet or the German Meet the week after? We'll have some new products there to make you smile, and maybe Matt Gage could tag along just for the comedy?

More later,
RB

Hi Robert,

if you need anything organised for you during your stay, please let me know.
I look forward to seeing you all,

best wishes,

Tony.

RLBagley
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Some of you may be interested to know that Ricardo has set up a FaceBook Page for "The Flying of Falcons (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Flying-of-Falcons/106864522674253)."

He just added some pics from their trip to Mexico two weeks ago (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=199475830079788&id=106864522674253&aid=55811).

Fun to see.

RB

Bird_Dog
03-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Having a background in experimental psychology, Pitcher's use of terms/theory is not commonly associated with animal learning is interesting, but at this point only is only conjecture. For example, self-actualization, is rooted in humanistic theory which has little cross-over in the animal learning literature. Excuse me, none whatsoever. I laud Ed's forward looking approach, however, it's not psychological science. In my opinion, moving from tradition methods to behaviorism is well underway and Ed's book is clearly pointing the way to a cognitive approach of falconry. The humanistic approach in falconry probably isn't truly possible until we fully understand animal consciousness from a scientific basis. New animal learning research is turning to some consciousness-related areas, such as episodic memory in birds, or symbolic thinking, but it would not touch self-actualization in birds with a 20 ft. pole. Perhaps more precise definitions without the humanistic theory baggage is required before we get too carried away with borrowing humanistic theory concepts. Having read the book, I plan on letting interested academic colleagues read the book. It may be a source of anecdotal evidence not commonly reported, hence may be of interest to animal consciousness theorists.

-- Scott

California Native
03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank You Robert for posting the link to these photos. It's a good chance to see a meet South of the border. From the faces and food photos, it looks like it was a good time. Anyone know what part of Mexico that is ? Looks pretty dry. Ricardo can you tell me.

Thanks Again !

Dan

Tom Smith
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I talked to Ed yesterday and he said he was totally impressed by the caliber of the falconry he seen down there. He mentioned the place but I don't remember that part.

California Native
03-21-2011, 01:01 PM
I talked to Ed yesterday and he said he was totally impressed by the caliber of the falconry he seen down there. He mentioned the place but I don't remember that part.

Hi Tom,
10-15 years ago i was given a short video of falconry in Mexico. Much of the country shown was north of Mexico City and quite lush dairy farmland. The flying was excellent and I was also impressed with what the falconers there were doing with their falcons. I saw excellent made hoods and equipment. I correspond with about five different falconers there and they are scattered across the country. Interesting and makes me want to visit.
Dan

Yeomanfalconer
03-21-2011, 01:02 PM

As overwhelmed as we are with news of the lawlessness south of our border, it was good for me to see clean cut, hatless Ed having so much safe fun. Obviously, there is actually normal life down there. Next year, would I have to fly way south to attend, or could I drive through Jaurez or Nogoles to be part of the Mexican Sky Trials? Anybody ?

Tom Smith
03-21-2011, 01:36 PM
I have heard Shanny Craig Shanholtser (sp) has moved down there, maybe he is on to something. I know my meager income would go a lot farther down there.
Maybe we could get a gringo falconers community started up down there. Of course we would have to stop bickering among ourselves, well, maybe a little just to preserve our cultural heritage.

R Velarde
03-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Dan. The meetings covered two towns. San Luis de la Paz and Pozos. Yes it does look very dry during their winter but the rainy season start in a few weeks and everything changes.
We had a great time and saw probably the best falconry we have seen out of any meet.
I wonder if having thirty some passage peregrines helped.
RV

Yeomanfalconer
03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Hi Tom,
10-15 years ago i was given a short video of falconry in Mexico. Much of the country shown was north of Mexico City and quite lush dairy farmland. The flying was excellent and I was also impressed with what the falconers there were doing with their falcons. I saw excellent made hoods and equipment. I correspond with about five different falconers there and they are scattered across the country. Interesting and makes me want to visit.
Dan

Those places where rich American hunters still go to slaughter a bunch of doves and ducks? I saw a show recently where they were shooting snow geese into slaughter. Addiction-- hunting or drugs. The Mexicans aim to please.

redbird1
03-21-2011, 03:17 PM
Having a background in experimental psychology, Pitcher's use of terms/theory is not commonly associated with animal learning is interesting, but at this point only is only conjecture. For example, self-actualization, is rooted in humanistic theory which has little cross-over in the animal learning literature. Excuse me, none whatsoever. I laud Ed's forward looking approach, however, it's not psychological science. In my opinion, moving from tradition methods to behaviorism is well underway and Ed's book is clearly pointing the way to a cognitive approach of falconry. The humanistic approach in falconry probably isn't truly possible until we fully understand animal consciousness from a scientific basis. New animal learning research is turning to some consciousness-related areas, such as episodic memory in birds, or symbolic thinking, but it would not touch self-actualization in birds with a 20 ft. pole. Perhaps more precise definitions without the humanistic theory baggage is required before we get too carried away with borrowing humanistic theory concepts. Having read the book, I plan on letting interested academic colleagues read the book. It may be a source of anecdotal evidence not commonly reported, hence may be of interest to animal consciousness theorists.

-- Scott
I am glad you spoke on this issue Scott - Maslow's Hierarchy does not include animals. Imbuing animals with the cognitive functions and self-awareness levels of human beings may be in vogue - but it is simply a fallacy. Hawks do not sit under a tree and pout because the other hawks think they look fat. Neither do they worry that other hawks will discover their inner insecurities. Finally, neither do they feel a sense of inner joy that they are becoming the best, most fully evolved hawk they can be (self-actualization - in a nutshell, sort of, LOL). This imbuement of human attributes not only does a disservice to the animals (creating them in our image vs. simply admiring and respecting them for who and what they are) it is one of the primary driving factors behind the activist movements that threaten our sport. Love your birds for what they are - greedy, hunger and instinct-driven hunting machines. Jealous of territiries and mates; intolerant of anything or anyone (including falconers) who cannot demonstrate a value to them. Persopnally - I say you gotta love them for ALL of that. Without trying to make them something they are not. Mike

Saluqi
03-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I think what Ed Pitcher was getting at was more of "peregrine actualization", or the natural progression from a parent dependent eyass to a highly effective predator that can control and dominate it's quarry and niche. There are many examples of peregrines and other raptors hunting for no other reason than to dominate their quarry, killing at will and leaving the dead behind as they vanish over the horizon. What triggers this behavior? Hunger? Breeding instinct? Chase response? It's all of them combined, which when looked at from a human point of view is what makes a peregrine a peregrine, a prairie a prairie, etc., etc., How can a predator exist unless it self actualizes? The answer is the first year 70% mortality rate.

Yeomanfalconer
03-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I think what Ed Pitcher was getting at was more of "peregrine actualization", or the natural progression from a parent dependent eyass to a highly effective predator that can control and dominate it's quarry and niche. There are many examples of peregrines and other raptors hunting for no other reason than to dominate their quarry, killing at will and leaving the dead behind as they vanish over the horizon. What triggers this behavior? Hunger? Breeding instinct? Chase response? It's all of them combined, which when looked at from a human point of view is what makes a peregrine a peregrine, a prairie a prairie, etc., etc., How can a predator exist unless it self actualizes? The answer is the first year 70% mortality rate.

That some awesome thought Paul. I love it ....

redbird1
03-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Paul - I also agree with that thought. I guess where I have the issue with the original thought is the HUMAN concept of self-actualization (not just what the person becomes, but the fact that they shape that becoming as a manifestation of their inner vision about what they COULD become). Raptors simply aren't capable of looking in the mirror and having a sense of who and what they want to be - as the inner raptor (LOL). But again, I like and agree with your expression of peregrine actualization - not because it appeals to me personally (although it admitedly does) but because I believe it to be true.
Mike

Tom Smith
03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Well said Paul, and so true. If only some people were so self actualised...

Yeomanfalconer
03-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Those places where rich American hunters still go to slaughter a bunch of doves and ducks? I saw a show recently where they were shooting snow geese into slaughter. Addiction-- hunting or drugs. The Mexicans aim to please.

Sorry for the mexi-phobic statement. Of course, Mexico is a wonderfully diverse, friendly country with much to offer. I regretted my comment the minute I sent it.

Tom Smith
03-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Sorry for the mexi-phobic statement. Of course, Mexico is a wonderfully diverse, friendly country with much to offer. I regretted my comment the minute I sent it.

Eric, your point is a little bit valid however, my friend and former falconer that lives in Mazatlan says there is a hunting lodge nearby there that Americans can come to and shoot all they want, but the general population is not even allowed guns at all. That may be why they are such good falconers.

He also says I would love it there, he does, but he is into sailing and thinks I would be to, ha, I get seasick very easily.

Another point, you can delete any post for a time after you post it with the edit button below. I hate to tell you how often I use it but some cuastic things slip through anyway.

dirtwinger
03-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Some very deep thinking as to the nature of our birds and what they are to us and to themselves. My current falcon has been very interesting to watch develop and at ten years old I still see his abilities changing and evolving to allow him to succeed. As some of you know I hunt hares with him, initially out of the hood but now he is carried free on the fist or T perch. He makes his own decisions as to when and how to hunt his quarry and this season has seen more experimentation on his part than any before. There is little that is mechanical about his actions he leaves and returns when he wants often when I least desire it but it makes flying him much more interesting.
There is nothing forced about our relationship he does want he wants with me because he likes it. I get the strong feeling that my bird is having a great time hunting with me and visitors in the field get the same impression. I can go for weeks without offering a tidbit let alone swinging a lure yet there is no concern that he will disappear on me. If I did not live in a large city I could easily leave him at liberty through the molt I believe.
While my style of falconry is very different from what many longwingers would desire the quality of relationship with my bird is one that we should all aspire to if given the chance. Time spent in the field is a pleasure whether we succeed in taking quarry or not although we almost always do.

all the best

EddieT
03-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I am glad you spoke on this issue Scott - Maslow's Hierarchy does not include animals. Imbuing animals with the cognitive functions and self-awareness levels of human beings may be in vogue - but it is simply a fallacy. Hawks do not sit under a tree and pout because the other hawks think they look fat. Neither do they worry that other hawks will discover their inner insecurities. Finally, neither do they feel a sense of inner joy that they are becoming the best, most fully evolved hawk they can be (self-actualization - in a nutshell, sort of, LOL). This imbuement of human attributes not only does a disservice to the animals (creating them in our image vs. simply admiring and respecting them for who and what they are) it is one of the primary driving factors behind the activist movements that threaten our sport. Love your birds for what they are - greedy, hunger and instinct-driven hunting machines. Jealous of territiries and mates; intolerant of anything or anyone (including falconers) who cannot demonstrate a value to them. Persopnally - I say you gotta love them for ALL of that. Without trying to make them something they are not. Mike

I'm pretty sure that Ed isn't giving falcons human attributes. Rather, he is saying that a falcon that follows a natural path to maturity becomes fully aware of its own mental and physical abilities and limitations as well as its position within what Ed calls 'its neighbourhood'. At this level of cognition the falcon is not sitting on a rock contemplating its value or brilliance as a falcon, rather it is sitting there fully endowed with the skill and knowledge that allows it to express the full depth of abilities that a falcon has genetically inherited over millions of years of natural selection in a harsh and unforgiving struggle for survival.

Self awareness is about the falcons awareness of its abilities to feed itself, defend its self against predators, manage different wind and air conditions etc etc. This awareness alows the falcon to evaluate a situation before it needs to comit to it, or not. Surely this is not pushing the boundaries of falcon cognition at all? To be fully aware of the total abilities that it is capable of as a falcon that falcon has to first follow the natural development cycle that it evolved to follow.

99% of captive bred falcons in the hands of falconers have no idea of their true full capabilities and are tied to follow the training of their falconer as he scratches the surface of what their falcon could achieve. A haggard wild falcon in full health however is endowed to such an extent through its experience to be both physically and mentally capable of meeting the pressures of survival in the wild head on with flying and hunting abilities that are beyond what most falconers ever experience from their charges. That the haggard falcon sitting on its rock knows what it is capable of within the confines of the envrionment in which it lives as it watches distant quarry and before it launches off in pursuit is not difficult to appreciate.

I now know that I will forever only be scratching the surface of my falcon's ability, but I thank Ed for having shown me that in the right situation and with the right thinking others are capable of taking falconry into a different sphere. Maybe my next scratch at the surface might dig just a little deeper as a result of what Ed has shared with us all.

R Velarde
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Before starting to pay some of the big bills before publishing the book, Ed kept saying or wondering if I thought anyone would be interested on reading what we wanted to share. I told him not to give up on me after all those years and that we would hope for the best.

Everything that is happening on these forums/post are a big surprise to us. A few months ago someone sent me an email with the numbers of how many post or comments had been made because of the book on different forums, in spanish and in english.

The book has done a couple of things we at least hoped for. Create new ideas and a good dialog between falconers.

There was never any lack of topics we could have talked about in this book, as you can imagine or see on these posts. No where in the book do we claim to know that falcons have human qualities, but the terminology in this book was used to be able to create a dialog that could be understood to get Ed's points of view across.

Here is a small part of the book that touches what I am talking about.

My intent with this writing is to discuss with the reader my experiences and thoughts on a kind of falconry i call “The Flying of Falcons.” i say, “discuss with the reader” because i want to emphasize that these pages are based on my interpretations and ideas. all of which may be erroneous in one aspect or another. Over the past forty years, however, I have witnessed such spectacular flights that I feel compelled to document my experiences. The reader can decide if my approach has meaningful application for his or her falconry.

From the book "The Flying of Falcons".

Thanks to everyone. Everyone that has supported the book and ideas, and everyone that has criticized the methods or points of view in this book. It all makes for a better understanding for what we have done.
Ricardo

redbird1
03-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Again, I agree. Your dialogue elucidates upon Paul's more succinct evaluation of the approach under discussion. I must say again, I agree. Forgive my seeming paranois regarding the current world-wide cultural shift to the unlimited embrace of anthropomorphism - I fear it because of its potential impact upon falconers and others who love nature for what it truly is - violent, fierce and beautiful. I see the value in the concepts you refer to, as they have now been more fully explained. Mike

chamokane
03-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Again, I agree. Your dialogue elucidates upon Paul's more succinct evaluation of the approach under discussion. I must say again, I agree. Forgive my seeming paranois regarding the current world-wide cultural shift to the unlimited embrace of anthropomorphism - I fear it because of its potential impact upon falconers and others who love nature for what it truly is - violent, fierce and beautiful. I see the value in the concepts you refer to, as they have now been more fully explained. Mike

Given sentimentality, there is certainly a danger of excess anthropomorphism. Given fear, there may be a danger of under anthropomorphism, for want of a better term. Falcons are certainly "violent, fierce and beautiful," however, they are also playful, social and downright affectionate, even generous given the opportunity. I would guess that "nature," which includes mankind, may be more complex than any of us would realize given our somewhat limited time here.

RLBagley
06-20-2011, 05:43 PM
It was interesting to see the statistics today of the number of people who have looked at the video of Ed's lecture at the Utah Sky Trials in 2010.

The video is embedded here on the Marshall Radio Product page for the Book (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/522-ed-pitchers-book).

We kind of organized a number of things there in one place, including Ed's comments, info and pics of the other contributors, the video of Ed explaining, a bunch of reader comments, as well as the gallery showcasing the great artwork.

Anyway, good to have the ongoing interest in what we consider a milestone book as we all get ready for another season here in the northern hemispheres. . .

RB

sugezwolf
08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ed isn't giving falcons human attributes. Rather, he is saying that a falcon that follows a natural path to maturity becomes fully aware of its own mental and physical abilities and limitations as well as its position within what Ed calls 'its neighbourhood'. At this level of cognition the falcon is not sitting on a rock contemplating its value or brilliance as a falcon, rather it is sitting there fully endowed with the skill and knowledge that allows it to express the full depth of abilities that a falcon has genetically inherited over millions of years of natural selection in a harsh and unforgiving struggle for survival.

Self awareness is about the falcons awareness of its abilities to feed itself, defend its self against predators, manage different wind and air conditions etc etc. This awareness alows the falcon to evaluate a situation before it needs to comit to it, or not. Surely this is not pushing the boundaries of falcon cognition at all? To be fully aware of the total abilities that it is capable of as a falcon that falcon has to first follow the natural development cycle that it evolved to follow.

99% of captive bred falcons in the hands of falconers have no idea of their true full capabilities and are tied to follow the training of their falconer as he scratches the surface of what their falcon could achieve. A haggard wild falcon in full health however is endowed to such an extent through its experience to be both physically and mentally capable of meeting the pressures of survival in the wild head on with flying and hunting abilities that are beyond what most falconers ever experience from their charges. That the haggard falcon sitting on its rock knows what it is capable of within the confines of the envrionment in which it lives as it watches distant quarry and before it launches off in pursuit is not difficult to appreciate.

I now know that I will forever only be scratching the surface of my falcon's ability, but I thank Ed for having shown me that in the right situation and with the right thinking others are capable of taking falconry into a different sphere. Maybe my next scratch at the surface might dig just a little deeper as a result of what Ed has shared with us all.

Great post Eddie - as the great Gok Wan says..............."It's all about the confidence."

Gerry x

P.S. I loved Ed's book so much that I sold my entire falconry library!

Ricko
08-16-2011, 12:19 AM
It was interesting to see the statistics today of the number of people who have looked at the video of Ed's lecture at the Utah Sky Trials in 2010.

The video is embedded here on the Marshall Radio Product page for the Book (http://marshallradio.com/en/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-accessories/item/522-ed-pitchers-book).

We kind of organized a number of things there in one place, including Ed's comments, info and pics of the other contributors, the video of Ed explaining, a bunch of reader comments, as well as the gallery showcasing the great artwork.

Anyway, good to have the ongoing interest in what we consider a milestone book as we all get ready for another season here in the northern hemispheres. . .

RB

I am in the process of ordering this book. I did see the video on the website, thank you for making that available. To be honest...I am still blown away by this mans perspective. I must be honest when I say that at first...my tradionalism felt threatened. In the end...and after watching the video again and allowing some time for meditation, I feel that part of Ed Pitcher is bringing to the table is nothing short of revolutionary. I totally agree with his take on American falconers relying to much on "rigid" techniques. Eds fresh and insightful approach has initiated a deeper introspection of my own approach to falconry. Its all good. Thank you again for posting this video.

RLBagley
08-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I am in the process of ordering this book. I did see the video on the website, thank you for making that available. To be honest...I am still blown away by this mans perspective. I must be honest when I say that at first...my tradionalism felt threatened. In the end...and after watching the video again and allowing some time for meditation, I feel that part of Ed Pitcher is bringing to the table is nothing short of revolutionary. I totally agree with his take on American falconers relying to much on "rigid" techniques. Eds fresh and insightful approach has initiated a deeper introspection of my own approach to falconry. Its all good. Thank you again for posting this video.

Indeed.

Thanks for taking a moment to share this observation.

We view the book as a great milestone in written Falconry works, one that deserves our support.

A welcome and significant paradigm shift for most, and its impact on how we fly our birds will continue to be appreciated over time.

RB

Ricko
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
RB....Im into the book about half way and to be honest...I have mixed feelings about this book. I would be hesitant to call it a "classic". I have immense respect for Ed Pitcher. However...I have this nagging skepticism about how much cognitive credit Ed gives the birds. Also, Ed gives praise for the traditional falconers such as Gilbert Blaine but then, states that he (Ed Pitcher) doesnt believe its in the bird (or the falconers) best interest to have a bird hopping to the fist or lure which are staples of traditional falconry training techniques.

All in all, I applaud this as an ambitious yet overlly idealistic approach to modern falconry. Just my 2 cents worth.

Would I like to sit down and have coffee and "just listen" to Ed Pitcher? Thats a no brainer: anytime he's available!

Ricko
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Self awarness in human terms is rooted in "comprehension". Of course, this is further enhanced by a human conscience. Since animals do not have a conscience, they are operating on predelection and instinct. This changes the "sequential" process in how a wild animal comprehends its abilities. Humanity has the ability to employ reason/ logic. Raptors simply need an environment in which their abilities and instincts can be manifested and cultivated and finally:perfected. To me...its a stretch to intepret the birds progression with the type of verbage that Ed chooses to use in his book. I agree that captive raised birds need an environment that can "sequentially" reveal to the bird its "innate" potential but to use words like "self-actualization" and "cognitive" when describing raptors is zoologically/ psychologically a stretch.

How did traditional falconers like King Fredrick and Gilbert Blaine do such an awesome job of comprehending the role of raptors and then master there usage in falconry?

RLBagley
10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
RB....Im into the book about half way and to be honest...I have mixed feelings about this book. I would be hesitant to call it a "classic". I have immense respect for Ed Pitcher. However...I have this nagging skepticism about how much cognitive credit Ed gives the birds. Also, Ed gives praise for the traditional falconers such as Gilbert Blaine but then, states that he (Ed Pitcher) doesnt believe its in the bird (or the falconers) best interest to have a bird hopping to the fist or lure which are staples of traditional falconry training techniques.

All in all, I applaud this as an ambitious yet overlly idealistic approach to modern falconry. Just my 2 cents worth.

Would I like to sit down and have coffee and "just listen" to Ed Pitcher? Thats a no brainer: anytime he's available!

Hello Rick-

There are plans for the "Third Annual Malad Valley Sky Trials" to be held on November 19th, the Saturday before the NAFA Meet begins. If you're considering coming to the Meet in Vernal Utah this year, you might want to come on up a day or so early and have some fun . . . chatting with Ed in person while watching birds overhead.

Both, I would say, would be positive experiences, memorable.

Best Regards-
RB