PDA

View Full Version : WRTC Bi-Annual Field Meet

KidK
09-02-2007, 10:59 AM
WRTC Field Meet News - Aug. 30, 2007

The Wild Raptor Take Conservancy is pleased to announce the dates for their bi-annual field meet, January 19-22, 2008 in El Dorado, Kansas, approximately 20 minutes northeast of Wichita.

El Dorado is on the edge of the Flint Hills which is the largest region of native tall-grass prairie remaining in North America; a roughly 50-mile-wide band of prairie that extends from the Oklahoma border northward nearly to the Nebraska line. It is dominated by ranching but is interspersed with agricultural crops which help support prairie chicken and quail populations. To view some marvelous photos of this region, please go to www.sktc.net/~hmb/cowflint/.

A brand new Holiday Express is opening up and has extended us a warm welcome. They even waived the no dog rule. We can bring our dogs in provided we stay responsible.

Place: Holiday Inn Express, 3100 W. El Dorado Ave., El Dorado, Kansas 67042

Contact for reservations: Kim Smith, General Manager

Cell: 316 323 3024

Hotel: 3165 322 7275

Home Office: 316 321 0580

Standard Room Rate is $89.00 per night provided reservations are made prior to December 19, 2007. Reservations are made under WRTC. After December 19 the rate goes up to the standard $99.00. There may be an additional $25.00 dog fee but this needs to be clarified. Kim Smith says it is OK to park self-contained RV’s in the parking area around the hotel. If some have bigger rigs there is an RV Park at El Dorado Lake.

There are good restaurants in the area. The hawking is phenomenal. The date for the extended duck season here in Kansas has been posted. For our area in southeast Kansas it is 19-27 January 2008. Ducks are in plentiful supply, plus a good number of pheasants and bobwhite quail. Remember, this is the heart of the greatest concentration of prairie chickens in North America. There are cottontails, and if you want to drive 3 hours for a day of jackrabbit hawking we might be able to arrange it.

Keep in mind that Kansas has a Walk-In Hunting Access Program (WIHA) which provides hunting access to private property with over 1 million acres enrolled in the program. A WIHA Atlas is available at hunting stores where hunting licenses are available. You can get your non-resident license online at www.kdwp.state.ks.us or pick one up at the Walmart next door to the Meet hotel.

For those who might wish to trap a prairie, merlin, or ferruginous, please contact Tonya Urban, Fisheries & Wildlife Falconry Coordinator, at 620-672-5911 or email her at tonyau@wp.state.ks.us.

Bill Murrin has some outstanding ideas for guest speakers. This meet is open to all WRTC members and nonmembers alike.

Hope to see you there!

Ron Krupa
Meet Chairman

KidK
11-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Anyone from Michigan, Indiana, Illinois or Missouri interested in splitting the trip to this meet?

I am only interested in a practicing falconer flying a bird to join me for this trip. I would have room for a bird and a dog if interested.

Thanks,

Ken S.
11-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I think the Great Lakes Falconry meet is the weekend after that (1/25 - 1/27, 2008 Bloomington, IL)... and as I route my trip from Maryland to Kansas it looks like I'd be driving right through Indianapolis on Rt. 70. I might be interested in meeting up somewhere near Indianapolis, then carpooling out to Kansas for the WRTC... and then coming back in time for the GLFA meet on my way home. I've never been to either of those 2 meets, but since I'm missing NAFA this year it might be a good year to do these 2.

-Ken
Maryland

KidK
11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
Ken,

I'm game! I would suggest that we meet in Bloomington instead of Indy.. No reason for me to go through Indy.

We could spend the last 3 days at the WRTC meet, then take our time heading back to Bloomington. I likely wouldn't stay for the meet in Bloomington (though it is a great meet).

PM me if you want to talk about this.