PDA

View Full Version : First RT!!

sevristh
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
[smilie=banana.gif]

Well, after over 1500 miles, two and a half days of trapping, and $250 in gas, I FINALLY got on some immy's! Thanks to Wes for his tip, and great thanks to Brian for his sharing of some great spots! I would also like to thank Jimmy and Tony for suffering through two very long boring days of unsuccessful trapping! This bird was the 2nd of three that Brian and I trapped this afternoon (all three within one mile of each other and within about 30 mins!! Not bad for two first year apprentices!!

Here's the pics! (1040 grams trap weight)

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/redtail4.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/redtail3.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/sevristh69/RedTail.jpg

wesleyc6
09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you find him around Macon?

sevristh
09-03-2007, 09:24 PM
saw 4 hag rt's, 4 red shoulders and a coop's in macon. Found this one and two others at one of brians spots. didnt have time to finish looking in macon hen brian called. awesome advice wes!

Jimmy
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Congratulations, Dave. [smilie=banana.gif] You definitely earned your trapping stripes this weekend. [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

And just an FYI, those anklets look a bit big....... And I hope you fixed the jesses too. Not trying to knock you, just trying to ward off a potential problem.......

Falcon Boy
09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
Congrats on the bird.

Ironic thing, this is the 3rd bird i've heard of trapping at exactly 1040 in the past 3 days.

sevristh
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes, I re-tied the knot in the longer jess as you suggested. The anklets do seem to be a bit big, though he has hung from them multiple times without them slipping off. One is also a bit looser than the other. As soon as I get my kangaroo skin back from Brian (forgot it there today [smilie=BangHead.gif] ) I will make him some new ones.

sevristh
09-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Congrats on the bird.

Ironic thing, this is the 3rd bird i've heard of trapping at exactly 1040 in the past 3 days.

Thanks! As I said above, he had two little brothers that we also trapped, but we threw them back. Funny thing on the last one, when I tossed him up to release him, he landed on a line about 20' above the hood of my truck, and STARED at the trap. Well, I had one gerbil that had been a pain in the ass, always fighting with the other three, so I threw it out into the field, and we got in the truck. Before I even closed my door, he was ON that gerbil in the grass. When I slammed the door, he picked it up and carried it away! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

everetkhorton
09-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Dave:
Great Job, nice looking bird. Now put it all together and have fun [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

robhawkyyz
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
when does your trapping season start? Sept 15 in Texas. Trapping is fun like fishing from the sky. That is one calm looking freshly caught redtail!!! Good luck. Rob

sevristh
09-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Our season here in GA started on Sept. 1st. And yes, he's pretty calm. Still a good bit of shock I think. He really only bates if one of the dogs walks by too fast. Doesn't want anything to do with food yet though, but really calm. I can touch him on his back and chest and he doesn't mind it. Even hooded him several times without him bating.

wesleyc6
09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Cool! The day I was in Macon I saw a few passage coops. I actually saw more passage birds there in an hour or so than all day in most other places. Interesting that you saw so many birds too. Might be a honey hole of a spot. Imagine what it will be like when all the passage birds arrive!!!!

kimmerar
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
WTG on your first bird Dave. Named he/her yet?

Last year I drove 2000 miles for my kestrel!!! This year I have spotters for me - hopefully it won't be that bad this year.

Now the fun starts. Keep us posted!!

sharptail
09-04-2007, 03:15 AM
Congratulations Dave [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

sevristh
09-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks all!

Kim,
No, no name yet. It's a 'tweener' bird, so not quite sure of the sex, but I was thinking of choosing an American Indian name anyway, so it will most likely not sound either male or female anyhow.

Jimmy
09-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Has he cast yet? If so, what's he been eating?

sevristh
09-04-2007, 08:23 AM
He has, and it looks like some sort of bugs. definitely no hair or bones.

Jimmy
09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
He's been a grasshopper hawk....... That'll change [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

gabboon
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
congratulations! I remember being more nervous about taking home my first RT than I was at my wedding.

I'm surprised at all the driving some people report to trap birds. I guess we have it easier up here.

everetkhorton
09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
congratulations! I remember being more nervous about taking home my first RT than I was at my wedding.

I'm surprised at all the driving some people report to trap birds. I guess we have it easier up here.

Steve
Dave sure put in a few day work and some big bucks. Some people think
Rt's are on every pole, in some places they are. The first Rt I traped was less that 6 miles from home and only took 20 min. from the time I left home. It was a small male, I let it go. It took 25 min for the next one. But I think WNV has hit hard in my area. I do not see them like I use to.
I know Dave will work very hard to get this bird hunting in fine style.

chamokane
09-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Congratulations, Dave. Those 'tweener' size birds can be really great, quicker than a big female, but stronger and bolder than a small male. I've seen some that were really good on cottontail and pheasant. What kind of game do you plan to hunt with it?

sevristh
09-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Down here we have precious few rabbits (unless you can manage to coax them out of a field of kudzu), so I will be hunting mostly squirrels. But I do have a few places picked out that I can get some really good slips on ducks. I am hoping I can get a baggie when duck season opens as I regularly hunt them with a gun as well. And since we use steel shot, there's no risk of lead poisoning.

lcfalconer
09-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Congrats on the new bird. A word of caution though if you want to feed duck you have shot, not everyone uses steel when shooting at ducks.

Wayne

everetkhorton
09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I skinned a sqr. that have had lead shot under the hide, so I alway ck real good for any shot.

Horath
09-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Dave,
Congrats! This will also be my first year and I am about to go insane waiting on Sept. 15th for our trapping season. I have spotted two juvys within 10 miles of my house so hopefully I will spend signifigantly less in gas costs. Hopefully... Again, congrats I hope all is well and everything goes as planned. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

gabboon
09-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Dave sure put in a few day work and some big bucks. Some people think Rt's are on every pole, in some places they are. The first Rt I traped was less that 6 miles from home and only took 20 min. from the time I left home. It was a small male, I let it go. It took 25 min for the next one. But I think WNV has hit hard in my area. I do not see them like I use to. I know Dave will work very hard to get this bird hunting in fine style.

I don't doubt he worked hard to get it and will work hard to work it. We know it will eat well!

Its just a different part of the world. We are lucky to have a good supply here. Also lucky to have ridge trapping. Many of those ridge trapped birds are eating squirrel on their way south so have some experience.

I suppose we'll be seeing a few more firsts soon. Always exciting, even someone else's experience. I'm happy to have the HH, but I do miss training a passage RT.

kenbro77
09-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Way to go Dave, great looking bird. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

stewbutter
09-05-2007, 07:00 PM
When does grasshopper season open???????? just kidding my first bird after her first molt chased g-hoppers first couple of times out. pretty comical. Congrats good lookin bird .. But have you ever seen an ugly hawk....

oldguy
09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
With the bottle of Miller next to your bird in first picture, call him / her "Chill".
Never have seen an ugly redtail, but your's is a looker !

kimmerar
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
But have you ever seen an ugly hawk....

Look at Jimmy's avatar!!!

wesleyc6
09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
But have you ever seen an ugly hawk....

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmy
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM

Hey now! That's a fine specimen of a bird...... [smilie=eusa_sick.gif]

sevristh
09-06-2007, 07:57 AM

Hey now! That's a fine specimen of a bird...... [smilie=eusa_sick.gif]

Yeah... It LOOKS like some sort of.... SPECIMEN alright. LOL!! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Jimmy
09-06-2007, 08:00 AM
You're just jealous, Dave......
How's the grasshopper catcher coming along?

sevristh
09-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Still waiting on him to get hungry.... [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Other than that, everything is great. I carry him everywhere with me, to get mail, let the dogs out, around the house, etc etc. If nothing else, my left arm will soon be larger than my right, haha!

He's even getting pretty used to the dogs. First thing in the morning, he will raise his wings up when they run by his perch, but he soon remembers them and just watches them go by. The dogs don't really care much about him. They were a bit interested until the first time he bated, then they decided that was definitely NOT for them and hid in the bedroom for an hour. hehe!

sevristh
09-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Alright, after an hour and a half of searching, 'the grasshopper hawk' now has a proper name!

From Latin, his name is Neco.

neco : to kill, slay, put to death.

Yeah, morbid, I know, but I like it! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

And regardless of the proper pronunciation I am going to excersize my God given right as an American and slaughter the Latin version and pronounce it (nee-koh). [smilie=banana.gif]

hawkstir
09-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Neco. I like it.

outhawkn
09-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Yes, I re-tied the knot in the longer jess as you suggested. The anklets do seem to be a bit big, though he has hung from them multiple times without them slipping off. One is also a bit looser than the other. As soon as I get my kangaroo skin back from Brian (forgot it there today [smilie=BangHead.gif] ) I will make him some new ones.

I do my anklets a little different from others if you'd like to see how to take all the guess work out let me know?

Bill

Jimmy
09-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Show us, Bill. Enquiring minds and all that.....

everetkhorton
09-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Alright, after an hour and a half of searching, 'the grasshopper hawk' now has a proper name!

From Latin, his name is Neco.

neco : to kill, slay, put to death.

Yeah, morbid, I know, but I like it! [smilie=smileys13.gif]

And regardless of the proper pronunciation I am going to excersize my God given right as an American and slaughter the Latin version and pronounce it (nee-koh). [smilie=banana.gif]

Dave:
Nice name, has a nice ring to it.
[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sevristh
09-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I do my anklets a little different from others if you'd like to see how to take all the guess work out let me know?

Bill

Sure Bill, let's see what ya got! I was just lucky these anklets fit. They were ones I made for my inspection, and used a AA battery to judge size by. Which, since Neco is a male, is why they are a tad big.

sevristh
09-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh! Progress! While I was typing that last reply, Neco bated off his perch, but instead of laying prone with his feet stretched out behind him, he turned around and hopped right back up on the perch! [smilie=banana.gif]

everetkhorton
09-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Oh! Progress! While I was typing that last reply, Neco bated off his perch, but instead of laying prone with his feet stretched out behind him, he turned around and hopped right back up on the perch! [smilie=banana.gif]

Dave:
Yup, that prograss [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

NTTF
09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Congradulations Dave!

You folks are so lucky to be able to trap a bird.

Dan

everetkhorton
09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Congradulations Dave!

Dan

Dan:
Where do you live? I take it you can not trap birds. I know how it feels.

sevristh
09-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, he is now taking tidbits off the glove pretty well, though he still does it fairly tentatively. He will bend down halfway reeeeaaaaaal slow, then SNAP it up. Got him to move toward me a slight bit on the perch for a few. Tried to get him to jump to the glove for one, and he leeeaaaned, and though about it, but then lost interest. I am using very small tidbits so as not to put much weight on him.

One question I did have, though it's a bit late now, because I went ahead and did it, but just so I know for next time... I noticed he was a bit dirty from bating into some wet mutes, and so I took him outside and sprayed him off with the water bottle I use for giving him water. This cleaned him up very nicely, and I sat outside with him while he dried off. Is this the preferred way of cleaning them off?

Jimmy
09-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Nothing wrong with cleaning him like that. Especailly once he settles in and will sit on a perch outside. You can put him out to weather and mist him down with a water hose then.

NTTF
09-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Congradulations Dave!

Dan

Dan:

I am in Ontario, Canada, and No we are not allowed to trap. I have residant red tails all around me probably 18 birds in a 10 mile radius that I know of, and that does not include the sharpshines, and kestrals. The one sharpshine takes birds from the front yard on a regular basis.

Dan

everetkhorton
09-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Congradulations Dave!

Dan

Dan:

I am in Ontario, Canada, and No we are not allowed to trap. I have residant red tails all around me probably 18 birds in a 10 mile radius that I know of, and that does not include the sharpshines, and kestrals. The one sharpshine takes birds from the front yard on a regular basis.

Dan

Dan:
Are there any breeding project in Ontario?