PDA

View Full Version : Agenda 8.3

FredFogg
06-10-2010, 06:55 PM
There has been some discussion about what happened during Agenda 8.3 and how it has caused some NAFA members to drop their membership. I emailed president Larry Dickerson to inquire into this and with his permission, below is the email I recieved. Hopefully, those that left NAFA due to this will see things are changing and if you want those policies changed, you have to do something about it. I plan on contacting Eric Edwards, my Southeast Director, and having them brought up and removed or changed or whatever they need to do to fix it. Below is Larry's response:

Good questions Fred.

Policies are in effect until such time as they are modified or rescinded. That goes back to the very first policies within NAFA, many of which have been changed off and on since 1961. Do I agree with them? Not entirely. Not just those of AG08.3. This is why there were a number of policy changes submitted [and approved] in the last agenda.

I recall that was a terrible time in NAFA and one I would never want to go through again and in fact told the Board that very thing in 2008. I could have sworn that 8.3 was "out there"...obviously not and if you want to post this, that would be great. Try imagining what it was like to keep up with all of these emails and individual responses to each issue. Yeah, that was fun! <not>. AG8.3 was one of the primary reasons we changed to the way we do business now.

Records of agendas were kept entirely differently then. It was way too cumbersome. Perpetual business meetings by email. It was pretty bad. Rather than me trying to recap that meeting, attached is the voting record on the issues. I'll let you read it for yourself and make your own judgements. I think you will see the information from the former member is not 100% accurate. As with most things moved across cyber-space, sometimes things can get a bit distorted.

What can be done to rectify policy is pretty easy. The Board can easily re-visit and modify any policy at any time [during a Board meeting]. A Board member just needs to present the modification. Only when something changes the by-laws does it get really tough, because that is approved by the entire membership.

The Board that was in place at the time never gave direction to include these in the by-laws, so they are simply policy. All any member needs to do...if they are not happy with any policy is to write their Director with the requested modification, the justification for the change and see if their Director will move the modification forward. Each member really should remember that they have three Directors representing them. Their regional Director and two Directors at large. It is easy for a Director to get an item on an agenda. The Director simply has to request the item(s) be placed on the agenda for consideration.

Each item for consideration is considered a proposal when it is presented for the agenda. Agendas and supporting documents are sent to the entire Board about two weeks ahead of the meeting so they can read, review and recommend any modifications or amendments. At the time of the meeting, the proposal is called usually in the order in which it was received, there is a motion and a second to accept the proposal, discussion follows and then the proposal is voted upon. The majority of Board meetings are now conducted via teleconference. The exception is the Board meeting during the annual field meet. The NAFA Board follows the Modern Rules of Order when conducting its meetings. We [I]do not conduct Board meetings via email anymore.

If AG08.3 did anything for NAFA, it helped move us to a more structured and professional way of conducting the business of the Association and since that time, "we have come a long way baby." How many times Fred have you heard me preach even to the members of our NCFG..."You cannot effect change in an organization if you are on the outside looking in. If you are not a member you stand no chance of making changes." Because someone does not like something is the worst excuse to use for not being a member...if they truly believe that. If they truly believe it and want to see something changed, you have to work for it and make those changes happen. Just bitching about it [whatever "it" is] doesn't make it happen.

Hope this helps explain a little bit.

Larry

Eagle Owl
06-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Records of agendas were kept entirely differently then. It was way too cumbersome. Perpetual business meetings by email. It was pretty bad. Rather than me trying to recap that meeting, attached is the voting record on the issues. I'll let you read it for yourself and make your own judgements. I think you will see the information from the former member is not 100% accurate. As with most things moved across cyber-space, sometimes things can get a bit distorted.

Fred, do you have this as well?

FredFogg
06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Fred, do you have this as well?

Yes, let me see if I am allowed to post a link to it on here!

Eagle Owl
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, let me see if I am allowed to post a link to it on here!

Thanks, Fred.

FredFogg
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Brandi, et all,

Agendas, Committee Reports, etc. and Board actions are only for members as are all the other items in the members section. So I will post a link from the Members Area to Agenda 8.3 for any members that want to see it.

But that doesn't mean we can't discuss those policies here. All members are invited to go read the report and then discuss what they disagree with and we can contact our Director to have things changed. This is how it is done!

Agenda 8.3 is now available for NAFA members in the Members Area under Board Meetings and Agendas.

Eagle Owl
06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Fred!

Saluqi
06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't see it.

Saluqi
06-10-2010, 09:31 PM
got it.

Saluqi
06-10-2010, 09:48 PM
So this "board meeting" was conducted via email? Seriously? If that's the case it's no wonder NAFA nearly imploded......

FredFogg
06-10-2010, 09:52 PM
So this "board meeting" was conducted via email? Seriously? If that's the case it's no wonder NAFA nearly imploded......

Well, that is one of the good things that came out of that mess! In the past 2 years, NAFA is finally catching up with the electronic age! LOL

Peregrinus
06-10-2010, 09:54 PM

It was a teleconference. A long teleconference. A really long teleconference.

Saluqi
06-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Well, that is one of the good things that came out of that mess! In the past 2 years, NAFA is finally catching up with the electronic age! LOL

gee, conference calling, who'da thunk it?

Saluqi
06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
It was a teleconference. A long teleconference. A really long teleconference.

There were so many agenda items, who ever set the agenda was either cruel or just an idiot. I guess when the sky is falling it's important to take care of business.

Peregrinus
06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
There were so many agenda items, who ever set the agenda was either cruel or just an idiot. I guess when the sky is falling it's important to take care of business.

Well, this was at a time, as others have mentioned, when certain members of NAFA leadership had become convinced that the WRTC was about to expand and engulf the entire known universe, upon which we would all lose our falconry permits, the wheels of global commerce would grind to a halt, pestilence would reign, and...well, the scenario painted was that unless the intrepid leadership of NAFA took things in hand, scenes from Night of The Living Dead would play out all across our fair land. And so, they did what most would do, given the above: they freaked out. When the dust settled, apocalypse had been narrowly avoided. The rest of us stood there dumbfounded. Me? I poured myself a stiff drink and bailed.

goshawks00
06-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Brilliant Bridget, so after getting drunk, just how much water did you end up removing from the obvious sinking ship?

Ron Clarke
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM

Yikes, I just re-read the agenda and voting summary -- all 38 pages. I had forgotten how massive it was and agree with Paul: such a lengthy agenda is unnecessarily brutal. As an unwilling veteran of far too many interminable board and committee meetings, I know how mind-deadening and frustrating long agendas can be. No one is thinking their best at the end of a four-hour meeting!

It's neither realistic nor fair to expect board members to fully discuss a huge pile of diverse stuff in one sitting and make wise decisions -- decisions that could affect the organization for a long time. The AG08.3 minutes/summary don't reflect it, but I hope there was a whole lot of committee work supporting the discussion of each of those many items. As much as we all like to malign committees ("no one of us is as dumb as all of us," according to the anti-motivational poster), they do offer the chance for regular members to get involved and work through the details and all the angles of a proposal. Discussions at the committee level are invaluable for the "gee, I never thought of that" factor alone, and can significantly clarify, simplify, and speed the board-level discussion to follow. I especially like the teamwork that evolves from committees, and future leaders often emerge from committees. After all, what is an organization about but teamwork?

I don't know how NAFA evaluates requests to add items to the agenda, but in my experience with both public and private sector organizations, a simple form makes it much easier and can really focus the proposer's thinking. No, it's not too bureaucratic or cumbersome or government-like. It can be as simple as: "What problem are you trying to solve? What solutions have previously been considered or attempted? Why did they not work? What solution(s) are you proposing? Who have you talked to about this? What do they recommend? Who loves this idea and why? Who hates this idea and why? What arguments against your idea are you aware of? Why do you believe your proposal withstands those criticisms? What will happen if nothing is done?"

Might be worth a try in the future.