PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Canadian Meet

schwartze
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Greetings,

This year's Canadian National Meet will be hosted by the Alberta Falconry Association from Monday, October 11th to Saturday, October 16th. The meet venue is still undecided, but will be in southern Alberta where quarry numbers, variety, and hawking conditions will support a large number of attendees.

This thread will be updated as more information on the meet becomes available.

Regards,

Steve

Hunter45
06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Steve,

I so remember the great time I had at a past Canadian Meet in Milk River, Alberta that I attended w/Hal Webster. The fellowship was GREAT and the falconry was simply FANTASTIC. I don't know if I can make it this year, but certainly would like to try. My best to you and your buddies "north of the border"!

passagejack
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
I'll be there!!!!!!!!!rockonpeacee

Eragon
06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
What are the legalities of taking a bird in to Canada? Is it out of the question? Either way it would be a lot of fun to go!

passagejack
06-15-2010, 12:07 AM
What are the legalities of taking a bird in to Canada? Is it out of the question? Either way it would be a lot of fun to go!

Ryan you need a CITES permit and a health cert. The permit takes up to 6 weeks. You then must arainge for a Agent (vet) to meet you at the border when crossing. I believe its $100 to get a bird across then $100 to bring it back to the U.S. All of this info is what I've heard from a pretty reliable source. This meet should provide a first class look at some great upland game hawking!

Hunter45
06-16-2010, 06:42 PM

PassageJack has it right and the area they held the Meet I attended several years ago was pretty much longwing country, but oh WHAT awesome longwing country! AND our Canadian brethren and sisters of the hunt are wonderful hosts. It's an expensive but worthwhile trip every "lower 48" falconer owes themselves at least once in their life.

sakerjack
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Greetings,

This year's Canadian National Meet will be hosted by the Alberta Falconry Association from Monday, October 11th to Saturday, October 16th. The meet venue is still undecided, but will be in southern Alberta where quarry numbers, variety, and hawking conditions will support a large number of attendees.

This thread will be updated as more information on the meet becomes available.

Regards,

Steve

Steve please keep posting any Updates, I know several CDN's that want to attend. Hopefully I will see you there. Jeremy, I think it is time we shared a BEER or Several!

kitana
06-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Yes, please continue to post information as it could be a nice trip to do! I've got family around Lethbridge so might even get free lodging, that would be a blast! :o)

schwartze
08-11-2010, 12:24 AM
2010 CANADIAN NATIONAL FALCONRY MEET
Hosted by the Alberta Falconry Association

Monday, October 11, to Saturday, October 16, 2010
Drumheller, Alberta, Canada
__________________________________________________ ________

The Drumheller area boasts healthy populations of Hungarian partridge and ring-necked pheasants, as well as cotton-tailed rabbits, snowshoe hare, and white-tailed jacks. Reports from the area indicate a good number of duck ponds, and waterfowl numbers are expected to be healthy. Also within daily driving distance is some of southern Alberta’s best sharp-tailed grouse hawking, though grouse can be found in pockets very close to Drumheller.

Meet attendees are invited to the Badlands Hotel and Whiff’s Flapjack House Thursday through Saturday for evening events and guest speakers. The weathering yard will be located next to the Badlands Hotel, across the street from the Dinosaur RV Park.

The town of Drumheller offers a variety of restaurants and other venues for evening socialization, as well as a number of tourist attractions for visitors to enjoy.

Visitors can register in the evening at Whiff’s Flapjack House. The $35 registration fee includes evening events and speakers, plus Saturday’s banquet with dinner and raffle. Guests can also pre-register for $30 prior to September 15, 2010 by contacting Alex Stokes at wastokes13@yahoo.co.uk. Visitors seeking information about hawking in the Drumheller area can contact Jon Groves at grovesjon@hotmail.com. All other meet inquiries can be made with Steve Schwartze at s_schwartze@hotmail.com.

Out-of-province guests can contact Strathmore Fish and Wildlife at (403) 934-3422 for information on import/export permits and hunting licenses. Hunting licenses are also available at Canadian Tire in Drumheller.

Accommodations:
Badlands Motel
(403) 823-5155, Double $90, Single $80

Econolodge Motel
(403) 823-3322, Double: $110, Single: $90

Dinosaur Hotel
(403) 823-6844, Double: $71, Single: $55

Best Western Jurassic Inn
(403) 823-7700, Double/Single: $139.99

Dinosaur RV Park
1-888-823-3291, www.dinosaurrvpark.ca

The 2010 AFA AGM will be held at noon on Saturday, October 16.

schwartze
08-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Steve,

I so remember the great time I had at a past Canadian Meet in Milk River, Alberta that I attended w/Hal Webster. The fellowship was GREAT and the falconry was simply FANTASTIC. I don't know if I can make it this year, but certainly would like to try. My best to you and your buddies "north of the border"!

Thanks, Greg, for the kind endorsement. Yes, Milk River 2004 was truly a great time and it certainly set the bar for national meets to come. I think our venue this year has lots to offer and I can't wait to see the quality of falconry I know will be had. I would love to see more falconers from south of the border make the trip like you and Hal have done.

More info to come...

Best regards,

Steve