PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Atlantic States Raptor Rendezvous Interest Level Poll

joekoz
06-14-2010, 08:23 PM
I for one would like to see an annual opportunity for falconers here in the Mid-Atlantic Region to get together. My sense is that there is wide interest in Cross-State and Regional “Meets”. However, there also seems to be an agenda expectation when you use the term “Meet”. Well how about an informal get together and for lack of a better term call it a Raptor Rendezvous, where people just show up at a centralized pre-defined location, in an area with lot’s of pubic game-land, inexpensive overnight accommodations, and a restaurant where everyone can get together for an evening meal and conversation.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the logistics associated with holding this Mid-Atlantic States Regional event. My feeling is that the right location is somewhere in mid-to-east central Pennsylvania, and in searching for an appropriate area, I’ve come across Pine Grove, PA.

Pine Grove is:

3 ½ hours from New York City
2 ½ hours from Baltimore, MD
3 hours from Washington, DC
2 ¾ hours from Philadelphia
3 hours from Morristown, NJ

Located very close to Pine Grove are the following:

3,520-acre Swatara State Park most of which is opened to hunting consists of rolling fields and woodlands with common game species including ruffed grouse, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel and waterfowl.
State Game Lands # 264 with 8,826 acres
Weiser State Forest with 17,961 acres opened to hunting.
Also located close by are:

State Game Lands # 256 with 1,223 acres
State Game Lands # 88 with 6,930 acres
State Game Lands # 215 with 1,263 acres

In terms of overnight accommodations there is a Comfort Inn with 1-2 person rooms, with a Free Deluxe Continental Breakfast with a weekday rate of $49.99, and a Friday and Saturday night rate of 59.99.

Pennsylvania offers a 7 day Out-of-State Small Game Hunting License for $31.70

In order to have an opportunity for an early season gathering and not to interfere with the PA & NJ Club meets that are held in January, this event would take place on the weekend of Friday November 19th through Sunday November 21st (the weekend before Thanksgiving).

If you are located in the Mid-Atlantic Region would you attend this “Gathering” given the above logistical information? (Note: for Insurance purposes, there would be no official sponsor for this gathering; rather it would be a publicized Rendezvous Destination for Falconers with an interested in getting together for a few days of hunting and getting to know each other.)

GONEHAWKN
06-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I would be more willing to do this than the long drive out to "the" NAFA meet. the one thing i would look into, that i have ran into here in Maryland with public hunting land is making sure that falconry is allowed at the locations. what i have encounterd on the few times i have wanted to try public grounds is that the folks working there know nothing about falconry. SO, when you tell that thats how you will be hunting, right away because it is not listed on the list of acceptable hunting methods, you are suddenly not welcome. this has sort of been resolved in that if you run into this problem here, a call to our local permits coordinator can usually clear things up. BUT, if you show unannounced on a week end, you may end up hunting somewhere else. just a thought.

zx2run
06-14-2010, 09:31 PM
It sounds like a fun time. I would definitely attend.

Eragon
06-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't live in that region, but I thought I heard that you couldn't hunt on Sunday in PA. Is this true? If so, that could be a problem for hosting it there.

Joby
06-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd love to come Joe, but which Pine Grove PA are you talking about? When I do a mapques search it says there are 6 different ones in different counties.

rri32701
06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
I'd be interested in going although PA.seems more North Atlantic than mid Atlantic.For members in Florida I don't think its much closer than Kansas.
Robert Miller

GONEHAWKN
06-15-2010, 04:12 AM
the hunting on sunday thing was something else i wanted to ad to the above post i made. IF hunting is allowed on Sunday in Pa., i dont think the public lands will be open for use. that would leave folks to seek out private lands to hunt.

hawkstir
06-15-2010, 07:09 AM
Sounds like a good idea. There is no hunting permitted on Sunday in PA. Not a problem. Just plan it for a Thursday, Friday, Saturday gathering and leave Sunday for traveling home.

joekoz
06-15-2010, 08:47 AM
I appreciate the input received so far, and look forward to hearing other suggestions/comments.

With regard to:

Making sure that falconry is allowed on public land.

In addition to Pennsylvania being located in the center of the Mid-Atlantic States Region, I locked in on Pennsylvania as a good location because of the amount of available opened land. Can any of you Pennsylvania Falconers answer this question?

Sunday Hunting.

Here in NJ all forms of small game hunting with the exception of falconry are prohibited on Sunday. Didn’t realize that you couldn’t practice falconry on Sunday in Pennsylvania. If there is an issue with practicing falconry on public land in PA, then this location may be revisited in favor of holding the gathering in New Jersey where you can practice falconry on Sunday.
Would be interested in knowing how people feel about taking Sunday out of the equation and making this a Thursday/Friday/Saturday or Friday/Saturday event.

Which Pine Grove, PA

The one located near the intersection of Interstate Route 78 and Interstate Route 81. Another reason why I liked this location is because of its Interstate access.

Keep the Suggestions/Comments coming.

Anyone else on here interested in helping with getting this off the ground?

Bryant Tarr
06-15-2010, 09:32 AM
I would certainly try to make it.

YARAK191
06-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I would try n its 9hrs for me. I could get least 2 other falconers to go.

Ken S.
06-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I kind of like the idea. But also thinking long-term we might be able to come up something that benefits the various state clubs in the region by organizing something together, perhaps as a NAFA region and coordinating w/ the regional director or something? Or just contacting all of the state club presidents and proposing some coordination. For example: why we wouldn't leverage all of the work that goes into the existing state meets, and organize a rotating schedule (like NAFA does) whereby we would designate one of the state club meets in our region each year to be the overall regional meet too? So maybe this year it's PA, next year NJ, then MD, etc. See what I'm saying? Most state clubs welcome guests, and certainly a boost in attendance every few years is good for club revenue, etc. This feels like a friendlier approach towards the host state and might lessen the amount of duplicate planning needed too. I also like the idea of it changing states each year as a change of scenery like the NAFA national meet does.

Squirrelhawkin
06-16-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that atleast 4 or 5 of us would come from CT.

FredFogg
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I kind of like the idea. But also thinking long-term we might be able to come up something that benefits the various state clubs in the region by organizing something together, perhaps as a NAFA region and coordinating w/ the regional director or something? Or just contacting all of the state club presidents and proposing some coordination. For example: why we wouldn't leverage all of the work that goes into the existing state meets, and organize a rotating schedule (like NAFA does) whereby we would designate one of the state club meets in our region each year to be the overall regional meet too? So maybe this year it's PA, next year NJ, then MD, etc. See what I'm saying? Most state clubs welcome guests, and certainly a boost in attendance every few years is good for club revenue, etc. This feels like a friendlier approach towards the host state and might lessen the amount of duplicate planning needed too. I also like the idea of it changing states each year as a change of scenery like the NAFA national meet does.

Damn, that is a great idea! See http://www.nafex.net/showpost.php?p=131497&postcount=23 toungeout :D

Ken S.
06-17-2010, 08:30 AM
Damn, that is a great idea! See http://www.nafex.net/showpost.php?p=131497&postcount=23 toungeout :D

Great minds... thinking alike. :)

Count me in.

FredFogg
06-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Move it down to VA and I would come. You can hunt there on Sunday, they have low hotel rates, lots of rabbits and other game. I know the VFA Harrisonburg Meet was a great time, that would be a good place to have a regional meet.

Chesapeakehawk
06-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I agree about rotating states, changes in scenery are great. I will drive 6 hours north or south to attend if I can (roughly NY/CT-NC).

Squirrelhawkin
06-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Move it down to VA and I would come. You can hunt there on Sunday, they have low hotel rates, lots of rabbits and other game. I know the VFA Harrisonburg Meet was a great time, that would be a good place to have a regional meet.

I drove through VA a few weeks ago. Looks like ALOT of great bunny cover. A few of us are thinking about going down to the Winchester meet.

GONEHAWKN
06-17-2010, 12:59 PM
i know we in Maryland have hunting on Sunday. BUT, what i can tell you is that where the bunnies are( and i think Ken can vouch for this) are on the Eastern Shore of our State. the problem with that is that land owners are not as willing to let you hunt on their property because most places lease out their property to deer hunters in the winter. There is public land available on the shore, but i have only hunted one or two spots and it was hit or miss. Maybe some other Md's will chime in with experiences that they have had on the shore or elsewhere.

rri32701
06-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I vote for VA

joekoz
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Anyone else on here interested in helping with getting this off the ground?

As it stands right now no one on the forum has stepped forward with an offer to help with making this happen!

Non-the-less, I’m going to continue scoping this out with the intent to make it happen even if I have to do all the work involved on my own.

As it stands right now I’m sticking with the logistics shared above in my first post on this thread.

If I run into any snags, and as my thinking advances I intend to share my findings and thoughts and would appreciate hearing back from everyone with your thoughts and comments.

In the interim for those of you who have indicated an interest in meeting up at the MID ATLANTIC STATES RAPTOR RENDEZVOUS, and anyone with thoughts of attending place a hold for these dates on your calendar.

FredFogg
06-19-2010, 07:54 PM
As it stands right now no one on the forum has stepped forward with an offer to help with making this happen!

Non-the-less, I’m going to continue scoping this out with the intent to make it happen even if I have to do all the work involved on my own.

As it stands right now I’m sticking with the logistics shared above in my first post on this thread.

If I run into any snags, and as my thinking advances I intend to share my findings and thoughts and would appreciate hearing back from everyone with your thoughts and comments.

In the interim for those of you who have indicated an interest in meeting up at the MID ATLANTIC STATES RAPTOR RENDEZVOUS, and anyone with thoughts of attending place a hold for these dates on your calendar.

Joe, I think the best way is to coordinate it with a state clubs meet and then invite any and everyone. Most state clubs have a website and then announcements and updates can be accessed through that state clubs website. But if you want to try and do it all on your own, go for it!

joekoz
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Joe, I think the best way is to coordinate it with a state clubs meet and then invite any and everyone. Most state clubs have a website and then announcements and updates can be accessed through that state clubs website. But if you want to try and do it all on your own, go for it!

Fred:

Both the New Jersey Club which I am a member of and the Pennsylvania Club hold 1 meet each per year, and both clubs meets are held in January. In the case of both clubs meets, I know that they do get some attendance from falconers from neighboring states.

From my perspective, I think that many are looking for additional venues to get together to socialize around a hunting opportunity, and I also think that an early season date for such an opportunity would be well received by many.

With respect to utilizing the clubs websites to announce and provide updates, I can’t speak for the PA Club, or other Mid-Atlantic State Clubs, but I can tell you that as is the case with most volunteer run organizations, our New Jersey Club website is “Under-Maintained”.

I’m hoping that “THIS THREAD” will attract those interested in attending, and that it will evolve in a way that it will keep everyone interested in attending Up-To-Date, and continually attract new viewers who might attend. Also that forum members will provide Word-Of-Mouth notification to their friends who are falconers who are not forum members.

My biggest concern associated with pulling this off is to insure that the “Location” has a sufficient amount of game.

In scouting out/researching potential centralized locations on the web, Pine Grove seems like it has the right characteristics. I’m planning on making a trip or two out to the Pine Grove in the next several weeks to check it out first hand. I also have several other ideas as it relates to determining the viability of this site.

As I’ve stated elsewhere, maybe only 5 people will show up. Maybe 100 will. You will never know if you don't give it a try!!!!!

FredFogg
06-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Joe, that is why I would try and pair it up with a state that has several meets a year. Both states you spoke of only have one meet a year, NC has 3. Also, I would also try and have it in a state that you can hunt that Sunday. I know if I drive that many miles, I want to hunt every single day and I would hunt Sunday morning until noon before heading home. If I am going to a meet, I want to hunt, hunt, hunt!

Oh yeah, if I am not mistaken, someone had a meet in PA or one of those states up there last fall. It was on someones farm that had cabins they rented out. I can't remember who and where, but I will see if I can find out. You might be able to contact them if you want to get some information on holding a meet.

joekoz
06-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Fred:

The “Centralized” location that I’ve locked in on is almost 100 miles from where I live. From a practical point of view for someone pulling this together for the benefit of others who might be interested in attending, it’s already stretching my limits.

I’m not aware of multiply early, mid and late season opportunities close by to me, if there are I’d like to hear about them, and I most likely would back off on moving forward with this initiative.

Interesting that you would mention that a meet took place on someone’s farm with cabins they rented out. Since my last post and prior to reading your post above, I came across a 100 +/- acre campground in the Pine Grove Area with reasonable out of season rates on their 50 some-odd cabins and cottages.

frootdog
06-20-2010, 09:20 AM

And there's the rub.:D Best of luck to you. We can't even find a meet coordinator for out upcoming THA meet.:eek:

joekoz
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
And there's the rub.:D Best of luck to you. We can't even find a meet coordinator for out upcoming THA meet.:eek:

Krys:

The license plate on my Harley reads “KNDO”.

I use to be perplexed when I came across someone with a can’t be done attitude.

At this stage of the game, I accept the fact that we as individuals are all different and special in our own unique ways.

I’m one of those wired to always be on the move, and look forward to meeting new challenges. I’ve never been satisfied with just climbing to the summit and then just sitting on top of that mountain. I like finding new mountains and undertaking whatever it takes to conquer/win/master whatever might have captured my interest.

Making this event happen is really a piece of cake, and really anyone can pull it off with not much effort at all. When I first started thinking about doing this, it was with the thought that it would spark an interest on the part of falconers in other regions of the country to do the same. Maybe it won’t, maybe it will. Time will tell!

Dirthawking
06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Oh yeah, if I am not mistaken, someone had a meet in PA or one of those states up there last fall. It was on someones farm that had cabins they rented out. I can't remember who and where, but I will see if I can find out. You might be able to contact them if you want to get some information on holding a meet.

Fred:

Interesting that you would mention that a meet took place on someone’s farm with cabins they rented out. Since my last post and prior to reading your post above, I came across a 100 +/- acre campground in the Pine Grove Area with reasonable out of season rates on their 50 some-odd cabins and cottages.

IF I remember correctly, it was the group "FUN" (Falconers Unite Now) that held a meet on someones property with cabins. Was low turn out from my understanding. And now their website does not work, so I can not verify this information.

joemac
10-03-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd like the opportunity to come to a meet just so I can see what falconry is all about.

After reading this thread, this is what I see. I believe your name may have some bearing on your potential turn out. When I see Mid Atlantic, I'm not thinking PA or NJ. I consider them the North East. I see four potential MD'ers including myself a VA and a NC but only one NJ, two PA's and a CT. The Oh, Wi, Fl and Il that have expressed interest in attending, it wouldn't make a lot of difference to them exactly where (in the Mid Atlantic) the meet is held.

I'd be interested in helping coordinate and would hope to attend but your proposed location is just a little far North for me. A VA location would be ideal IMO for a "Mid Atlantic" meet. I see it as a key component of a successful turnout to at least contact the state clubs to make them aware of a regional meet. I doubt you will drive enough interest without doing so. Even if it's an email to club members or a mention in a newsletter. The blurb could send them to this thread.

joekoz
10-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Regarding the status associated with this idea:

The level of interest generated by my posts was promising.
No one responded with an offer to help.
My biggest concern was insuring the selected site would offer a decent game population. Didn't want to put in all the effort without a strong feeling in advance that those who traveled out to attend didn't have ample opportunities at game.
I visited several potential sites, and land access and game numbers caused me to back off of formulating and implementing a going forward plan. In total, I made 4 trips out to the general area under consideration. More research time is necessary to insure that the location selected will result in good game access/availability.
Do to above decided to postpone having it this season.
Subsequently discussed the idea with Mike Dupuy, and we have agreed to stay in touch and work together on pulling together this event idea perhaps next season.
I still believe that the work effort associated with pulling this off is very doable/manageable.
The location I selected fits my criteria for a Mid-Atlantic States event. Keep in mind that:

It is not in my state
Is over 100 miles from where I live.
Even though no one else stepped forward with an offer to help, I was willing to put in all the effort.
Given these circumstances, I have no interest/intention of taking on all of the work associated with an event in Virginia 300 +/- miles from where I live.