PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Michigan

Kephri
06-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi everybody,

I just heard about this forum at the first ever Michigan Hawking Club Apprentice Workshop, so I thought I would join to see what I can learn here. : )

Nice to meet you all.

Also, I like the smiles on this forum! rtsqrl

Mzingie
06-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi everybody, Also, I like the smiles on this forum! rtsqrl

(welc). I've always enjoyed the selection as well :D

harrishawk_79
06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
welcome i hope you enjoy your reads

Friearth
06-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Just joined and am also from Michigan. "Yooper" to be excact. Just joining up various places/websites and will soon be joining the MCH. Question to the original poster, is the club going to put on another workshop?? I'd like to learn more about that. :D

Dirthawking
06-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, welcome to NAFEX. Please take the time to go to user cp and insert a signature into your posts. One of the few requirements around here is to sign your posts with your real name. It helps keep things friendly around here.

Again, welcome to NAFEX.

everetkhorton
07-01-2010, 06:36 AM
(welc) Breanne, Glad to see you on NAFEX. Let us know a little more about yourself. There are a few other falconer in the U.P.

everetkhorton
07-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Hi everybody,

I just heard about this forum at the first ever Michigan Hawking Club Apprentice Workshop, so I thought I would join to see what I can learn here. : )

Nice to meet you all.

Also, I like the smiles on this forum! rtsqrl

We need a first name please. My daughter lives in PawPaw. I do some sqr. hawking down that way. We will have to make a connection when I am down that way.

REYNALDO
07-01-2010, 07:02 AM
(welc)glad to hear from people from michigan getting into falconry. i was at the workshop and i really enjoyed it and learnt a lot in a very short time. this was the first workshop put on by the club and im sure that there will be another one. i had a great time!

SadieHawk
07-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Welcome all. It is great to hear that the 1st workshop turned out great. I just moved to MI about 3 months ago from OH and already am very pleased with the club and all the warm welcomes from MI falconers.
Thanks to the club and it's members, you are great.

Kephri
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
There we go, signature should be added...

I'm Lena : )

I've met already Rey and Aimee. I'll have to meet Everet. Maybe at the picnic?

Kephri
07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Just joined and am also from Michigan. "Yooper" to be excact. Just joining up various places/websites and will soon be joining the MCH. Question to the original poster, is the club going to put on another workshop?? I'd like to learn more about that. :D

They're planning on having another one next summer, I believe. Keep your eye out on the MHC's forums. That's how I found out about it.

Sorry for the double post...

Friearth
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Everyone I meet so far on these websites are so friendly! Big fan of this community so far. ^_^

@Lena - Thanks! I'll keep my eyes peeled for more cool events!

I'm from the Houghton/Hancock area of the Keweenaw "Copper Country", born and raised in the UP. Going to Michigan Tech for Wildlife Ecology and Management with three more semesters to go! I've been a raptor fan ever since I was a little girl and love just watching these birds when ever I get the chance. Looking to maybe work with raptors either at a Rehab or Educational facility or something similar to that. It's all in the air right now.
Maybe I'll do some research for a Masters if I find an interesting study.

I'm looking to get into this sport fairly soon (?). Depending on the job market, I'll probably be waiting until I'm done with school. The future is a little blurry, and I'm not sure where I'll be going or if I'll have steady income to support this lifestyle right after I graduate. (Right now I'm buying what I can to kind of "stock up", knowing I want to hunt a Red-Tail for my first bird)

I want to do things right, so I'm going to try to get active with the club and meet some folks, and maybe a year or two down the road I'll be able to get things cookin'.

Until then I'm reading and learning as much as I can! :D

Kephri
07-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Nice to meet you Breanne,

I'm kinda in the same boat in that I'm not starting right away. We bought a house and now I need a different car (mine is dying) so I'm not going to be able to start for a little bit b/c of funding issues. I was hoping to start Fall 2011 but it's kinda up in the air.

right now I'm volunteering at the Kalamazoo Nature Center with their birds of prey program. They've got about 10 birds that I'm feeding every Thursday. It's not great but it's getting me experience with the birds and their behavior and care.

Join the MHC if you haven't yet. Maybe I'll see you at the picnic? It's July 31st, I believe.

Friearth
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Lena. We need to get out of this boat, lol, and onto a better one! ;)
Every little bit counts I say! You're ahead of the game to some folks (such as myself right now).
There is a raptor rehab place in the UP not too terribly far from where I'm at, and the Birding group at school I'm in is trying to organize a trip there. I'm pretty about it, hopefully it will workout, otherwise maybe I'll just have to drag the boyfriend off for a weekend road trip!

I wish I could make it to the picnic this year, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to manage a ride to the Mitten. I have some friends up here that live downstate, maybe I could convince them to let me tag a long for a little side trip.

Kephri
07-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that would be a really long drive, lol. : )

everetkhorton
07-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Lena. We need to get out of this boat, lol, and onto a better one! ;)
Every little bit counts I say! You're ahead of the game to some folks (such as myself right now).
There is a raptor rehab place in the UP not too terribly far from where I'm at, and the Birding group at school I'm in is trying to organize a trip there. I'm pretty about it, hopefully it will workout, otherwise maybe I'll just have to drag the boyfriend off for a weekend road trip!

I wish I could make it to the picnic this year, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to manage a ride to the Mitten. I have some friends up here that live downstate, maybe I could convince them to let me tag a long for a little side trip.

Breanne:
Brockway (spelling) Mtn is a great place to watch hawks in the spring. Get to know the guys in the U.P. I feel I have a long hall to the picnic. Nothing compaired to the both of you.

Friearth
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Breanne:
Brockway (spelling) Mtn is a great place to watch hawks in the spring. Get to know the guys in the U.P. I feel I have a long hall to the picnic. Nothing compaired to the both of you.

I have definitely gone there when I can during the spring migration, and it's amazing to see all of the raptors. (you spelled it correctly)

I'll definitely try to get in touch with some of the UP falconers, I'd be very interested to check out their facilities and maybe even go on a hunt with them.

Right now I have a friend who's going to her boyfriend's brother's wedding on the 31st in Midland Michigan, so if it works out I might be able to catch a ride with her!

Chappy
07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
(welc)to all the Michigan newcomers. But I think everyone is missing the most important question here... Wolverines or Spartans fan? (hint:if u are a Spartan fan, click here (http://www.cafepress.com.au/+your_team_sucks_womens_tshirt,288560871)).