PDA

View Full Version : Wanna-be falconer

flyinginmydreams
09-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Hey, my name is Nathan and I am from Texas. I have always dreamed of doing falconry but I have yet to really do something. All I got is Falconry and Hawking by Glazier. Is there a good place in Texas or in an adjacent United State to learn? I would love to have a goshawk.

Eagle Owl
09-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Nathan,

Where do you live? There are plenty of falconers in Texas that can help ya out with learning falconry. The best place to start is by joining the state club, the Texas Hawking Association. That will give you access to a list of local falconers and an apprentice coordinator that is more than willing to help ya find a sponsor. Go to www.texashawking.org and have a look around. There is a lot of info on becoming a falconer on there as well.

With all that said. The most important thing you should start out doing is finding local falconers and start going hawking with them this season. Falconers don't sponsor people that just ask and don't prove their commitment to falconry. It takes a lot of time and dedication to be a proper falconer and you have to prove you are willing to commit before someone will sponsor you. But you have come on board at just the right time as the hawking season will be starting up soon, and has already started for some.

So welcome to the forum. If you have any questions let me know.

everetkhorton
09-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Nathan:
Welcome to the site.Brandi gave you some very good advice, I suggest that you follow it. Falconry is like no other sport. How old are you. You should also contact your local state agency that cover falconry and ask for any information related to falconry. Have fun.

kenbro77
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Hey nathan, just responded to you pm. Brandi pretty much said it better than me, but that is why she is and I hope will remain a THA officer. Welcome to the board.

flyinginmydreams
09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
You guys are awesome! I am so ignorant...all this time there has been a Texas Hawking Association. I am 21, still in college. I will begin to read up on these things and see what I can do to get started!

Eagle Owl
09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Nathan,

You aren't very far from me..I live in Jacksboro. There is a large group of falconers in the Fort Worth area and a lot of us get together every weekend to hunt our birds. I will also be going trapping for a new bird soon. If you would like to meet up with us one weekend to go hawking, let me know and I can give you directions.

Eagle Owl
09-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey nathan, just responded to you pm. Brandi pretty much said it better than me, but that is why she is and I hope will remain a THA officer. Welcome to the board.

Awww...thank you Kenny!

kenbro77
09-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Awww...thank you Kenny!

Just call it as I see it. You are welcome.

flyinginmydreams
09-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Trapping would be a unique experience and hunting sounds like a blast. I have thought and read a little about doing my own trapping. I am always on the lookout for birds of prey, just ask my family...

Could I get a hold of the logistics of some of the Fort Worth-area events to see if I could work something out? Also, I actually go to school in Waco, so any hunting/trapping close by would be advantageous. I am always driving 171 through Hillsboro and that area seems perfect for birds. But, I am just a noob.

Eagle Owl
09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, before you can actually trap a bird yourself, you need to have all the necessary permits. To get your permits you will have to have a sponsor, take a test, build a mews and have all the necessary equipment. We go hawking in Fort Worth every Saturday and Sunday. We usually meet around noon, but depending on how many birds we have to fly, the times may change. Most of the birds are still up for the moult right now, but there are a few that have their birds out hawking now. We will probably start up the weekend hawking in a few weeks. I will let you know when we start back up.

There is also a great falconer that lives in Hillsboro...he is the new President of THA. There are also a couple of falconers in the Bryan/College Station area. Your best bet is to join THA soon so you can have access to all the members. We have several mini-meets throughout the season and a large field meet in January. To take advantage of all these activities, you need to be a member. We also have one of the best publications...I think it is even better than NAFA's publications!!!!!!! So you get a lot of benefits when you join THA.

Again, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me brandi7777@yahoo.com

flyinginmydreams
09-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Hey, right on about Hillsboro! How can I be a member? Sign me up!

kenbro77
09-07-2007, 03:46 PM
Go to the texashawking.org web site and you can join from there. The good thing about signing up now is your dues is good for the remainder of this year and next year. So you get 4 months free.

kenbro77
09-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I just saw the county you live in. There is an event going on three weekends from now that I and some of the other THA falconers will be at that is pretty close to you. Go to the THA website and got to upcoming events and look for the DSC S.A.F.E.T.Y. Event

Dallas Safari Club S.A.F.E.T.Y. Event

Greystone Castle, Mingus, TX - Saturday Sept. 22, 2007

Hope to see you there.

flyinginmydreams
09-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Am I to be a regular member, or associate member? I think I need a little help before I shell out some money...

kenbro77
09-07-2007, 05:05 PM
You are an associate until you get your permits. You still get the same amount of help. You just can not vote. The main thing is you get access to Falconry contacts so that you can make arrangements to start hanging around some of the Falconers and beat the brush for them. That is the best way to meet your future sponsor.