PDA

View Full Version : Lost HH, Near Lafayette, Louisiana

Hawkmom
07-16-2010, 10:10 PM
. Help find my beloved ‘Zorro’. ‘Zorro’ is a trained Male Harris’ Hawk.
15 years old. Wearing Bells, Leather Anklets, Nylon Jesses, I.D. tag and Radio Telemetry (Frequency 216.023*(CW). Weight: 700 grams. Lost on Roy Road off Hwy 93 behind Beau Chene High School on April 3, 2006. Last seen near Araundville, Louisiana, 15 miles north of Lafayette.

This is an old notice, but you never know if he will show up. He was a good hunter and was spotted periodically in the area. Just never when I could get there to retrieve him. I know that the telemetry and jesses are likely long gone by now, but not the USFWS seamless band.

BTW: He was trained to fly into a vari-kennel with a treat of quail inside it. That MIGHT work if he shows up again.

Zarafia
07-17-2010, 12:44 PM
This sucks Kitty!
Harris hawks are smart and resourceful though so he may well be fairing just fine. And as well manned as he is he might be sticking close to people areas.
I don't know if you've thought of it, but maybe placing ads in the craigslists local to that area would be a good idea. The ads are free and there are a lot of craigslist junkies (like me) out there. Maybe put ads in the Farm/garden section as well as the Pets section in the Community section, and put new ones in every week.
You never know.
I really hope you get him back. Good luck.

thunderheartiii
07-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Kitty I'll ask my daughter to keep an eye out...she lives in that area.

Zarafia
07-17-2010, 07:42 PM
I just re-read the post and took note of the date. But my previous sentiments stand. Harris hawks are smart. You man your birds to the highest degree. And craigslist is a good place to get attention.
If I had to guess at this point I wouldn't be at all suprised if someone living in the countryside had adopted him by now. If he got vocal and you offered a "no questions asked" reward you may well get a phonecall.
Again, good luck!