PDA

View Full Version : Lost MRT in Hamburg NY

Tom Scheib
07-23-2010, 06:18 AM
On 7/21 my 2 yr old MRT escaped from his perch in his weathering yard, fenced in childs playground, at my friends home while I was visiting from WI about 7 pm. He remained in a tree about 30 yards away overnight. In the morning he refused to come to the glove or the lure. I stayed with him from 5:30 to 11 am, then he flew to a nearby [75 yds] powerpole, sat about 5 minutes and then took off into the thermals. The last I saw him he was a speck in the binocs riding the thermals heading SE out of Hamburg NY [Erie County], probably thinking "man this is great!". He weighed 1150 grams and he has a USFWS band [R0117857] on his rt leg

touyang
07-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Tom - his movement is pretty typical for a red-tailed that is moving out of the area. When I release a rt, that's exactly what it would do. I always release my rt's right from the house, just feed them up and then cut the anklets and band off and toss it in the air. They always take perch in a nearby tree, survey the surrounding a bit then after 5 to 10 minutes take to the air. They would find a thermal, speck out, and disappear...

Tom Scheib
01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
This bird was found on a median in a suburban area in western NY on 31 Dec 2010 and taken to a rehabber. When examined by their vet he was carrying 3 buckshot pellets. He had been hunting well until then, it appeared, as he was not sharp in the keel. His condition is currently listed as "guarded". I'm following his progress and looking forward to putting him back in the mews. His anklets were on, he had pulled his jesses.

I was notified by my DNR thru his USFWS band #.

My fear when he escaped, as he was very calm and comfortable around people, was that he may be shot. I wonder why these shooters don't join the Marines and take their chances with something that can shoot back.

Jimmy
01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear he's been found.

High Desert Hawker
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Good to hear you got him back, hope he recouperates well.

FredFogg
01-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Glad you got him back Tom and here is to a speedy recovery for him. I never can understand how someone can shoot a raptor but I guess our love for them isn't mutual out there in the world. confusedd

sevristh
01-07-2011, 03:42 PM
If he really had buckshot in him and not bird shot, that's pretty damned amazing! Buckshot, even the small stuff, is huge when compared to a MRT. Kind of like one of us carrying around a few .50 cal musket balls...

Hawkmom
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
As a hunter safety instructor. I get really angry hearing of these type of incidents. It puts a real bad image on hunters. Lets hope that your bird recovers and becomes an excellent hunter. And I hope that the local gun club puts a reward out for the conviction of those responsible for shooting your beloved hawk!!!! I've been trying to get the NRA to do the same, for convictions of bald eagle shootings. Heck a rehabber told me that NINE bald eagles were found shot in West Virginia last year!!!!

everetkhorton
01-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Tom:
Glad you got your bird back, I hope he has a full recovery. clapp