PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for NAFA meet

forestfalcon
07-29-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't seem to find this information anywhere... Do all birds need to be banded to hawk in Kansas? My bird is just shy of being 6 months OVERDUE for having a band put on, and I can't get anywhere with CDOW (surprise, surprise.) I would really like to hawk at the NAFA meet this year, but if I can't get my bird banded in time...well...?

Does anyone know, or at least know where I can look for this info?

Thanks in advance

frootdog
07-29-2010, 01:23 PM
You don't need a band to hunt at the NAFA meet.

forestfalcon
07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, that's a relief. As I trapped my bird 7 months ago, and with the 30 day requirement they have to band it...I'd say it's not unreasonable to think he won't be banded by November... crazyy

frootdog
07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
The CO NAFA meet is a perfect example. Y'all are required to have DOW band your birds, yet all of us that came for the meet did not have to have bands on our birds. TX does not require all birds to be banded, so my birds were not banded at the time of the meet.

bobpayne
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, that's a relief. As I trapped my bird 7 months ago, and with the 30 day requirement they have to band it...I'd say it's not unreasonable to think he won't be banded by November... crazyy

Jenni, interested in what you put on your 3-186, just left it blank? Guessing this trapped hawk is something not required by the feds to be banded?

forestfalcon
07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Well, when we trap a bird, we fill out the 3186 and send it to the state and FWS. Within a month, FWS is supposed to send a band to our wildlife officers, and they come out and put on the band. They don't send us our bands, it has to be put on by CDOW. So when we send in our 3186's, the band portion of it is always left blank.

rkumetz
07-29-2010, 02:15 PM
If your state doesn't require a band for a trapped bird you just leave the
band number blank on the 3-186 or write "none". I do the latter.

forestfalcon
07-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I always write "not yet banded." same thing, I guess. :D

Chad L.
07-29-2010, 02:54 PM
You've gotta be kidding me that bird isn't banded yet. Talk about lag time. I guess it's not that surprising given that I called to have my band off Tolullah collected after i released her twice with no call back ever about it.
Kinda frustrating that i can go buy a tag to kill almost anything I want with a rifle or shotgun over the counter but it takes months on end to get anything accomplished when it come to falconry.

Eagle Owl
07-29-2010, 04:35 PM
You've gotta be kidding me that bird isn't banded yet. Talk about lag time. I guess it's not that surprising given that I called to have my band off Tolullah collected after i released her twice with no call back ever about it.
Kinda frustrating that i can go buy a tag to kill almost anything I want with a rifle or shotgun over the counter but it takes months on end to get anything accomplished when it come to falconry.

The Coops I have has not been banded, the RT Mario trapped then released was never banded, and the band from his Coops that died in December is still hanging on our cork board in the kitchen. crazyy

Man I will be glad to get back to Texas!!!:D

Dirthawking
07-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Funny thing is that at the last commision meeting they said that they have a great track record for banding birds in the time alloted. A few falconers jumped down there necks for that one. Ever since Kathy K. retired the division is falling apart!

Jen, all you need to have is your 3-186a on hand until the banding is complete.

hawk_1_lawman_2
07-29-2010, 07:15 PM
a friend of mine got caught up in this kind stuff. He called the agent 3 or 4 times to get the bird banded and ended up getting a call back from the agent who was pissed off because he called more than once over a 2 or 3 month period. the agent told him not to worry about it as long as he knew about the bird he would be ok. Then after another month or so the Feds. show up and want to know why the bird was not banded. My buddy ended up having to pay a big fine. The Feds told him if he wanted to fight it he could but he would have to miss work, get a lawyer and go to another state for court.frus) He just paid the fine.

Dirthawking
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I would think that if you can show that you have done your part and your paper work correctly that no ticket on that would ever stand, let alone be issued. But then again, stranger things have happened

hawk_1_lawman_2
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
unless something has changed that I don't know about....we are not allowed to send our paper work in till the bird is banded

Dirthawking
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I don't know about your district, but when I spoke with mine, I was informed that the 3-186a still has to be sent in within the specified time frame (5 days) and to just put "not yet banded by state" in the band line. Covers your butt if the state takes their sweet time.

bobpayne
08-01-2010, 09:30 AM
unless something has changed that I don't know about....we are not allowed to send our paper work in till the bird is banded
Tony, years ago I had the run around, we don't have a band thing come up. The agent said to send it when I got a band from him. I contacted Marlys at usfw and she said fed law trumps state, and to send the 3- pronto, since then I send it in with a band number to follow, and the feds I think see to it the band comes in a timely manner. Lots of trapped hawks don't need fed bands depending on the state, but all need the 3-186 sent in a timely manner.

I always carry a copy of the 3- when traveling out of state, though Ive never needed it, surely Murphy would show up if I didn't!

bobpayne
08-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't know about your district, but when I spoke with mine, I was informed that the 3-186a still has to be sent in within the specified time frame (5 days) and to just put "not yet banded by state" in the band line. Covers your butt if the state takes their sweet time.

Wouldn't think what District would matter, federal law and all..

outhawkn
08-01-2010, 10:21 AM

I agree, send it to the Feds, that way you are in doing your part....