PDA

View Full Version : NAFA Forum on NAFEX

Chris L.
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I would like to take the time to remind everyone I have the NAFA forum on NAFEX to discuss up and coming events and positive discussion regarding NAFA. I am seeing it take a turn in the opposite direction.

I did not create the NAFA section for NAFA bashing or for any sort of soap box. It was created to get good information out in a proactive manner.

I am very close to closing the NAFA forum on NAFEX as I am tired of it being a platform for those who want to rant and rave.

I am very Pro NAFA and all for what the organization stands for. NAFEX is not the stomping ground for issues to be hashed out regarding NAFA or its members. Get in touch with those that can make a difference. Email them, call them, or use the forum that is on NAFA.

I created the NAFA forum, on NAFEX, as a courtesy to the falconry community and to help Promote NAFA. Lets use it for that and get the information out in a proactive manner.

Thanks

Chris Lynn

MrBill
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Chris,

Do you consider the question I asked the other day as NAFA bashing? Just curious.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

everetkhorton
08-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I would like to take the time to remind everyone I have the NAFA forum on NAFEX to discuss up and coming events and positive discussion regarding NAFA. I am seeing it take a turn in the opposite direction.

I did not create the NAFA section for NAFA bashing or for any sort of soap box. It was created to get good information out in a proactive manner.

I am very close to closing the NAFA forum on NAFEX as I am tired of it being a platform for those who want to rant and rave.

I am very Pro NAFA and all for what the organization stands for. NAFEX is not the stomping ground for issues to be hashed out regarding NAFA or its members. Get in touch with those that can make a difference. Email them, call them, or use the forum that is on NAFA.

I created the NAFA forum, on NAFEX, as a courtesy to the falconry community and to help Promote NAFA. Lets use it for that and get the information out in a proactive manner.

Thanks

Chris Lynn

clapp

MrBill
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Well, Chris, I didn't receive a response from you, so let me apologize if my post was "NAFA bashing." I certainly didn't intend it to be. I was just using what Ralph said as a springboard for a discussion about whether falconers in days gone bye were more concerned about the sport than they are now. Perhaps I should have put my post under something other than "NAFA"; if so, my bust.

In terms of whether or not you should close the NAFA forum--based upon what you want to see posted there, and your angst with people who write things that do not flatter NAFA, I would suggest you close it. Every organization has a history, and some folks who have been around longer than others will want to discuss that history (good or bad); plus, when we talk about NAFA, we are talking about the people who have made/make the governing decisions (humans). And, as you well know, humans can and do make imperfect decisions, even collectively, and some folks are going to want to discuss these decisions, despite what you want the forum to be about. Heck, even one of your moderators has not been all that flattering about NAFA.

Frankly, realizing your position on this matter, when I took the time to read some of the discussions that have gone on over time under "NAFA," I'm surprised that you haven't said anything previously, in the same spirit as your feelings about religion and politics (which I agree with). Anyway, I guess what I am saying is unless you start throwing people off the list for saying negative things about NAFA, under a falconry forum with the title of "NAFA," you will be reminding people of your mandate in the future; it's the nature of the beast :-)

One other thing--you suggested that folks voice their gripes about NAFA on NAFA's forum. It appears that those type of posts get lifted there, so I'm not sure that would accomplish a whole lot. Also, during a couple of previous somewhat contentious threads under "NAFA," Greg Thomas wrote me and said he was making notes of concerns to present to his next board meeting. So, I do think positive things can come out of a healthy exchange of differences on any given topic. But, in the final analysis, this is your list to do as you wish.

BTW, I tried to call you (as you know) to tell you that a number of folks other than yourself have preregistered for the NAFA meet in an attempt to help Fred sort this on-line registration out (Fred has put a lot of work into getting this done, folks), and since I am handling the registration, I check everone's membership. As you may, or may not know, you are currently not a member of NAFA. So, you may want to join, or rejoin before he NAFA meet. Thanks. And thanks, again, for this site. I think it fits the needs of a lot of falconers, as well as those wanting to be falconers, despite our differences :-)

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

JRedig
08-10-2010, 10:28 AM
I would vote to leave it open. I think there are enough people here who support NAFA to make it useful.

I agree the NAFA forum would be more appropriate in some regards, however the format is very painful to read, IMO. I hope they can use a better forum software or formatting in the future.

jfseaman
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
I would vote to leave it open. I think there are enough people here who support NAFA to make it useful.

I agree the NAFA forum would be more appropriate in some regards, however the format is very painful to read, IMO. I hope they can use a better forum software or formatting in the future.
I hope the NAFA section on NAFEX stays open.

The challenge with the NAFA and state forums is that they only reach the membership. This is good for some things but has no outreach. NAFA on NAFEX provides an opportunity for outreach to new or disenfranchised.

I think the gripes are productive, even some of the ones that appear quite negative. Dissatisfaction expressed as angst is fine with me, constructive criticisms are always welcomed. The thing to avoid is personal attacks, organization attacks and generalizations that do not allow for discussion of improvement.

As Fred Fogg may point out, the software for NAFA and NAFEX is the same. The difference is that NAFEX has has more time to develop. I don't know how to attracted more members to NAFA, what would the NAFEX members suggest?

Chris L.
08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Bill

I have not responded to you as I have more important issues going on in my life than to deal with your post or your messages.

Regarding my membership. Take a look at the registration you will see I paid for 2011. Didn't know my 2010 were not paid. Not even sure why this is even in a post. But what ever, it's kind of amusing

To answer your original question, yes your thread is exactly what I am talking about. I call it trolling. It will stop or I will close the NAFA forum on NAFEX. Don't ruin what is good for masses. The only one to blame if I do close the NAFA forum are the ones who post threads such as yours! Maybe the community pressure will stop these threads. I hope anyways

Bottom line, you run your list and I will run mine!! You will never see me on yours telling you what to do and I expect the same here.

Thanks for your time. Please pm me if you have any concerns

Chris

MrBill
08-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Fred,

Excellent post. I think you are spot on with your comments.

In terms of attracting more NAFA members, it seems to me that we have to listen to the disenfranchised (as you put it), and if they are not members of NAFA, then they can't very well take their concerns to that forum. I just think that this is a great place for the powers-that-be to put their finger on the pulse of American falconry with a view towards improvement, being more proactive, and reconciliation, as long as we "try" to avoid "personal attacks, organization attacks and generalizations" that are counter-productive, realizing that we are not always going to be successful in this regard. I guess what we should encourage Chris to do is weigh the overall benefits of allowing frank discussions about NAFA, versus the losses (IMHO).

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

MrBill
08-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Damn, Chris!. I'm not sure where this is coming from. Wow! I wasn't telling you what to do at all. I was merely commenting on your post and making a suggestion. And, I did PM you, as you know, as well as call you, and you did not respond. Anyway, I'll curtail my posts on the NAFA forum as I certainly would not want to be the cause of it closing.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

Dirthawking
08-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey Bill
Kinda curious as I am tired of seeing the moderators getting bashed. Who are you talking about, and why that mod can not have an opinion? I volunteer my time at the yard as well as other areas, Paul is running for a position, Kory has not been on lately, BRidget is around on occasion when her busy schedule allows it.
Alot of us may have difference of opinion but hopefully we can have discussions like adults without slinging mud.

MrBill
08-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Mario,

I'm not sure we should carry out this discussion here, as "I" will catch hell, but "briefly," I was referring to Bridget's expressed opinions about NAFA's policies. And, I don't recall even suggesting that she sould not have an opinion, so I'm not sure where you are coming from. And, I'm not sure what your statement about you, Paul, Kory and Bridget have to do with anything I said. Also, I didn't realize I was "slinging mud." Anyway, this conversation (between the two of us) is not in the spirit of good dialogue, but, hopefully I have addressed the improt of your e-mail.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

Dirthawking
08-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Here is the thing. Normal adult conversations of both good and bad are allowed and okay. The problem is the bashing. It is consuming every NAFA thread that comes up. We can not even have a thread on the upcoming meet without something spilling over from twenty years ago. The constant bashing has to, and will stop.

Ron Clarke
08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
For whatever it's worth, I hope the NAFA threads stay open. I usually learn more from people I may not necessarily agree with than those whose perspectives parallel mine. Yes, the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable is sometimes elusive. There's no place for pointless bashing of NAFA, moderators, or participants. But the overall discussion often proves useful. Keep it civil, brothers and sisters!

outhawkn
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
For whatever it's worth, I hope the NAFA threads stay open. I usually learn more from people I may not necessarily agree with than those whose perspectives parallel mine. Yes, the art of disagreeing without being disagreeable is sometimes elusive. There's no place for pointless bashing of NAFA, moderators, or participants. But the overall discussion often proves useful. Keep it civil, brothers and sisters!

clappclapp:D

Hunter45
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Without a doubt this forum should stay open. NAFA is not w/o its faults, but it is the primary means falconers have to maintain their sport's legality. As for "bashing" that sometimes occurs, let me suggest that those who have a problem w/NAFA or a situation they think that NAFA should have a hand in addressing, start by asking questions rather than making assumptions or accusations about the problem or persons who may, or may not, actually have the involvement they think they have in the situation. We should be SLOW to anger with each other ("A soft answer turneth away wrath"). Another valuable saying we could profit from is, "Seek first to understand, if you wish to be understood." Our numbers are few and our enemies are many. Can we afford anything less than cooperation, community, and working towards consensus solutions to the problems that come before us? I appreciate the way Chris runs this whole forum. I think he thinks like this as well. I hope this comes across as the positive encouragement I intend, and not as being "preachy".

outhawkn
08-11-2010, 02:51 PM
I hope this comes across as the positive encouragement I intend, and not as being "preachy".

Nicely done, IMO clapp

Chris L.
08-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Without a doubt this forum should stay open. NAFA is not w/o its faults, but it is the primary means falconers have to maintain their sport's legality. As for "bashing" that sometimes occurs, let me suggest that those who have a problem w/NAFA or a situation they think that NAFA should have a hand in addressing, start by asking questions rather than making assumptions or accusations about the problem or persons who may, or may not, actually have the involvement they think they have in the situation. We should be SLOW to anger with each other ("A soft answer turneth away wrath"). Another valuable saying we could profit from is, "Seek first to understand, if you wish to be understood." Our numbers are few and our enemies are many. Can we afford anything less than cooperation, community, and working towards consensus solutions to the problems that come before us? I appreciate the way Chris runs this whole forum. I think he thinks like this as well. I hope this comes across as the positive encouragement I intend, and not as being "preachy".

Greg,

It is not preachy at all. You said what I was trying to. Thank you!

I agree the NAFA forum on NAFEX is very important. My post was to redirect folks. I wanted everyone to take a step back and be a part of the solution.

We all have identified the problems within NAFA. I think its time to start working on them, which I have seen. I can see NAFA listening and working on getting issues resolved. I for one am please at the move forward. It might not be fast enough for some, but it is still progress and that needs to be recognized.

Thank you for the support.

Chris

MrBill
08-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Chris writes:

>I can see NAFA listening and working on getting issues resolved. I for one am please at the move forward. It might not be fast enough for some, but it is still progress and that needs to be recognized.

I am too, Chris; in fact, as I have said before, it was the formation of the Strategic Planning Committe and their hiring of friend of mine to help them along in terms of membership concerns, etc., that prompted me to want to help out once again. My only hope is that they can keep the momentum going. And, it's not all about what the members want for themselves, as Ralph has suggested; it's about members feeling that they are earnestly being listened to. And, I think this committee is a giant step in the right direction. But, I also feel that we need to listen to the gripers and complainers, and take what they have to say with a grain of salt, if necessary. To silence them, in any way, fuels their fellings about NAFA and strengthens their positions (IMHO).

In tems of "progress"--in the last three months, from what I can tell, it appears the membership has increased by about 300 people (in the US), which puts it above 1600; it's ony about half as much as it was at one time, but, it is "progress."

Bill Boni
Norman, OK

MrBill
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Everet Horton, who mails out NAFA's new membership packets, has brought to my attention that my calculations concerning new members is "way off." I guess it is not as good as I figured :-( I was comapring the most recent report we had received from the membership secretary with a membership roster that was sent to me by Pete for the purpose of the NAFA meet, but, somehow, I was in error. Anyway, sorry about the bum scoop.

Bill Boni
Norman, OK