PDA

View Full Version : Chinook Hood blocks

sakerjack
08-09-2010, 03:19 PM
As September and hunting season inches closer and closer my wife and I will be shutting down our hood block production for another season. We will have two sets finished and ready for shipping in the next few weeks. Once those are sold we will not be making any more sets until next April/May.
The set of 34 includes two sets of patterns and sells for 575.00US plus shipping.

canvibe
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
PM Sent

gos'n
08-09-2010, 05:28 PM
I got a set from Ken a couple months ago. I love 'em. Nicely finshed. Great fit on the birds.

sakerjack
08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I got a set from Ken a couple months ago. I love 'em. Nicely finshed. Great fit on the birds.

Thank you John, I am pleased you are happy with them. Your hoods are well done and unique. Keep up the good work.

sakerjack
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
One set has been sold. We have one set left until next spring.

sakerjack
08-28-2010, 12:25 PM
The other set is sold..

sakerjack
09-04-2010, 03:01 PM
My wife and I are making a a set this weekend as we have nice temps and want to use up our materials.
SO,, will have one set for sale...

sakerjack
09-11-2011, 01:33 PM
My wife and I are just finishing our last set of blocks today and then we will be shutting down for the year. We will have 3 sets for sale. Set of 34 blocks ( jack merlin- average female Golden eagle) with two Dutch patterns are 650.00 plus 16.00 shipping to anywhere in the world. Other patterns are available as well.

GONEHAWKN
09-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I got a set from Ken earlier last month. Ken did a top notch job packing and shipping the blocks out in a timely fashion and kept me posted the entire time!! Thanks Ken!!

sakerjack
09-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I got a set from Ken earlier last month. Ken did a top notch job packing and shipping the blocks out in a timely fashion and kept me posted the entire time!! Thanks Ken!!

Thank you Bill, when you need some more patterns to try give me a yell,,

This is what JOHN MORAN- Master Hoodmaker and falconer for over 40 years has to say about our hood blocks - "I have heard some bad rap about the (Maynes) Chinook blocks that appears to be unjust. I was hesitant to use them at first. After forming some hoods on them and getting the feel for them with my patterns I have come to the conclusion that they are a fine precession set of blocks".

Keith Denman
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi I have a full set of the Chinook blocks from Ken and they are awesome blocks. I have tried creating my own and have some I have no clue who actually designed them and then a few from Ron and I constantly use the chinook blocks. Of course patterns are made to the block so one persons pattern made for a certain block my not work perfect on another block.

mosman
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Any Pictures of the blocks? side profile and such..

Tom Smith
09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I like to get a single #19 size chinook block if anyone has one. Ken do you sell singles and what price?

GONEHAWKN
09-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Ken, i would still like to hear more on Dennis and the history behind the blocks. As i have said, i am a sucker for nostalgia.

gos'n
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I like to get a single #19 size chinook block if anyone has one. Ken do you sell singles and what price?

I've got a single 18 I will sell you. A bought a few singles before I bought my complete set, so it is redundant.

Tom Smith
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I've got a single 18 I will sell you. A bought a few singles before I bought my complete set, so it is redundant.

Sorry, I have an 18 & 20, 21, 22 and oddly I only need an 19, but thanks anyway

Lowachi
09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
an 18 fits....?

sakerjack
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM

We just finished pouring blocks yesterday and are finished for the year. I know we have four full sets, one set is sold, we have three full sets for sale @ the moment and I won't split them up, if I have some singles I will let you know.

sakerjack
09-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Ken, i would still like to hear more on Dennis and the history behind the blocks. As i have said, i am a sucker for nostalgia.

Have not forgotten, Dennis is not the easiest person to get a hold of, I will keep trying . Dennis is one of the featured hood makers in Jim Nelson's new book, nice Bio on him .

sakerjack
09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
an 18 fits....?

Large Female Per, Gyr/Per Hybrid, F Prairie,

gos'n
09-12-2011, 10:01 AM
an 18 fits....?
Female peregrine, male hybrid, and similar.

gos'n
09-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Female peregrine, male hybrid, and similar.
Whoops should have read the whole thread before stepping on Ken's response.

GONEHAWKN
09-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Have not forgotten, Dennis is not the easiest person to get a hold of, I will keep trying . Dennis is one of the featured hood makers in Jim Nelson's new book, nice Bio on him .

Thanks Ken....i look forward to hearing more about Dennis and the blocks...

Tom Smith
09-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Large Female Per, Gyr/Per Hybrid, F Prairie,

Maybe I'm all wet here but I was thinking an 18 fit a small female peregrine and a 19 would fit a little larger but still small peregrine.
Here is the deal, the bestest ever hood I have ever had on her was a Moran #33 that the breeder sent with her and some others to try to get a fit. Of course he wanted them back right away and I couldn't blame him. The hoods I have made for her on Rollins classic blocks are size 8.5 and they fit but don't go on smooth and hang up causing me to have to tap the front of the hood to get it settled. My bird gets pretty irate about that as she can see me and she is a fight and no flee type of bird. So I got a bird hooded that thinks I'm trying to tease her and she wants to fight back. So I'm trying to put her on the cadge and she is trying to bite my fingers off and I think she is going to do it looking at all the blood. So any way I have an old junker hood that says inside #19 and it performs like the Moran #33 very smooth and I get some information on it and I was told it was blocked on a Chinook hood block. So I'm thinking I would like to make some that size and I have some Chinook hood blocks but no #19. So there it is to be brief lol.

sakerjack
09-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Maybe I'm all wet here but I was thinking an 18 fit a small female peregrine and a 19 would fit a little larger but still small peregrine.
Here is the deal, the bestest ever hood I have ever had on her was a Moran #33 that the breeder sent with her and some others to try to get a fit. Of course he wanted them back right away and I couldn't blame him. The hoods I have made for her on Rollins classic blocks are size 8.5 and they fit but don't go on smooth and hang up causing me to have to tap the front of the hood to get it settled. My bird gets pretty irate about that as she can see me and she is a fight and no flee type of bird. So I got a bird hooded that thinks I'm trying to tease her and she wants to fight back. So I'm trying to put her on the cadge and she is trying to bite my fingers off and I think she is going to do it looking at all the blood. So any way I have an old junker hood that says inside #19 and it performs like the Moran #33 very smooth and I get some information on it and I was told it was blocked on a Chinook hood block. So I'm thinking I would like to make some that size and I have some Chinook hood blocks but no #19. So there it is to be brief lol.

Tom, who made the hood that says #19 ? I just took a look at the blocks and it apperas that I have an extra 19, 18 and a few smaller sizes,,BUT I will have to confirm with the wife first..

gos'n
09-12-2011, 05:08 PM

OK, Northwoods sells Chinook blocks, but doesn't size them as Ken does. I defer to Kens size numbers. I have a couple from Northwoods, and they seem to be numbered two sizes larger than Ken's blocks. For example a size 20 Northwoods block matches an 18 Ken Hooke block. So, I would take the braces out of that hood you like, and see how it fits on the blocks you already own. You might have a fit already.

Tom Smith
09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Tom, who made the hood that says #19 ? I just took a look at the blocks and it apperas that I have an extra 19, 18 and a few smaller sizes,,BUT I will have to confirm with the wife first..
Well, I don't want to sour any deal I might have with you, but it was a hood that came from Pakistan and I was friends with the dealer to some extent and was curious about how they came to make Dutch hoods and he said they were making hoods in the Dennis Maynes tradition so I'm pretty sure it is a Chinook blocked hood. I didn't get the chance to ask anymore questions from the Pakistani guy about his Dennis Maynes connection because he had a heart attack and died. His relatives took over his business and I didn't communicate with them after they notified me he had died. Their stitching and craftsmanship was top notch but the leather, leather dye and finish just sucked.

sakerjack
09-12-2011, 05:20 PM
OK, Northwoods sells Chinook blocks, but doesn't size them as Ken does. I defer to Kens size numbers. I have a couple from Northwoods, and they seem to be numbered two sizes larger than Ken's blocks. For example a size 20 Northwoods block matches an 18 Ken Hooke block. So, I would take the braces out of that hood you like, and see how it fits on the blocks you already own. You might have a fit already.
There likely is some difference. Dennis gave Northwoods a different (later) set of Master molds, not saying ANYTHING NEGATIVE about the Northwoods blocks as they are likely identical cept they do have a few Prairie sizes and eagle sizes my blocks do not.
I think a difference also might be how you make your hoods... Let me explain, Dennis Maynes who made the originals only makes glued hoods, I know that the way I stitch that I sometimes almost always have to use a smaller block. I then adjust my patterns and personal size chart to accomodate the difference.Sewing like most other hood makers do you could likely use the appropriate block ??? Not sure . also when you glue hoods you have to be a little more careful when you first roll the seams and Dennis and I recommend you use a smaller block say one number down, sometimes even two down at first,, then roll the seams, stretch the leather, then progress,, I still do that on all my hoods whether they are blocked on Chinook, Rollins, Tait and my Tysen set of blocks. As I said I block hoods very differently than other hood makers..

Tom Smith
09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
There likely is some difference. Dennis gave Northwoods a different (later) set of Master molds, not saying ANYTHING NEGATIVE about the Northwoods blocks as they are likely identical cept they do have a few Prairie sizes and eagle sizes my blocks do not.
I think a difference also might be how you make your hoods... Let me explain, Dennis Maynes who made the originals only makes glued hoods, I know that the way I stitch that I sometimes almost always have to use a smaller block. I then adjust my patterns and personal size chart to accomodate the difference.Sewing like most other hood makers do you could likely use the appropriate block ??? Not sure . also when you glue hoods you have to be a little more careful when you first roll the seams and Dennis and I recommend you use a smaller block say one number down, sometimes even two down at first,, then roll the seams, stretch the leather, then progress,, I still do that on all my hoods whether they are blocked on Chinook, Rollins, Tait and my Tysen set of blocks. As I said I block hoods very differently than other hood makers..

I have some Northwoods blocks and some Rollins blocks and some I have made. One of each Corny McFadden and Jack Stoddart's really really old blocks but I'm just not into making hoods or blocks like I used to be and thought rather than building a block like I want that is a step between the 18 an 20 Northwoods block which supposedly are Chinook blocks I would just buy one if anyone had a single. The hood I have marked 19 is to big for my 18 by a shade and a shade to small for the 20 so I'm thinking it is in fact a 19 of the Northwoods variety Chinook blocks and Brad doesn't have that size anymore as his molds are old and he doesn't do much business in blocks any more, he told me, and probably won't replace that mold. He did send me a pattern for it though and threw in a 22 block for free.

GONEHAWKN
09-13-2011, 05:04 AM
i would love to see some pics of the McFadden blocks. I was given access to some molds that were of blocks used by guys like Lou Woyce and Brian McDonald from way back when. I would love to see how the blocks i made those molds look compared to the older McFadden blocks.

Tom Smith
09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
i would love to see some pics of the McFadden blocks. I was given access to some molds that were of blocks used by guys like Lou Woyce and Brian McDonald from way back when. I would love to see how the blocks i made those molds look compared to the older McFadden blocks.

I have only one and it is an plaster of a paris knock off from a mold made on a McFadden block, anyway it does not differ much from any other block.
The one thing I have noticed in the old blocks is that from a front view just casually looking at them they don't seemed to be "necked in" like the more recent blocks. On closer examination it seems the old hood makers were making hoods more spacious in the ear opening area by keeping the block nearly as wide over the ear and the jaw hinge area as the eye. I read once from one of these oldtimers that much of a birds discontent and scratching come from pressure on the ear opening or pressure on the point of the jaw near the ear opening. Looking at old worn hoods one can see in some of them the scratch wear supports that belief.

sakerjack
09-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Tom, I have a spare 19 and 20 block .

Tom Smith
09-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Tom, I have a spare 19 and 20 block .

PM me the price you want on the 19, I don't need the 20, I'm thinking at this point.

sakerjack
03-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Well spring has come and we are back making blocks. Full set of 34 unfinished blocks plus two Dutch patterns for 650.00 plus 16.00 shipping to anywhere.... AS well, many other patterns are available to any who have purchased our Chinook Blocks.

SEAN MAGUIRE
03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Ive a full set of these blocks and love them to bits,sean