PDA

View Full Version : Birds at hack . . . filming themselves.

RLBagley
08-23-2010, 12:26 PM
We just added a link to the incredible video footage being captured by good customer Jason Jones, who is tame hacking a bunch of birds up in the Teton Valley in Wyoming.

Using TrackPack harnesses, he's got these eensy tiny video cameras mounted that give him an hour or so of run time.

You can find it here, on the Marshall Radio FaceBook Page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Marshall-Radio-Telemetry/95847325664).

Pretty amazing the altitudes and distances they are going. . .

RB

sevristh
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Do you have any more specific info on the cameras he is using? I know a couple people expressed interest in this on another thread where a video from him was posted but nothing was ever found out about it. Maybe you have more of an insight?

RLBagley
08-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Do you have any more specific info on the cameras he is using? I know a couple people expressed interest in this on another thread where a video from him was posted but nothing was ever found out about it. Maybe you have more of an insight?

I had heard from Jared Tanner that it was "a $200 camera from China" and that they were ruined each time the bird got wet.

Here's a description from Jason, together with his contact info at the bottom so you can ask him directly:

"Okay, here are a couple pics from the falcon camera. I have more posted on my site at www.tetonraptorcenter.org (http://www.tetonraptorcenter.org/) if you wanted to see. I also put a webcam on an Osprey nest up the road from me. The link is also on the site. I am going to put together a couple articles about hacking and cameras that will explain more later on, but here is the short version. It has been a learning experience this year for me up here. My oldest lanner, the one wearing the camera, has now been out for 9 weeks. This lanner flies most of the day and goes into Victor, Idaho, over the Teton Mountains, and has also found his way to Jackson Hole town, which is 9 miles away. I have footage of him passing over the tallest peak around, which is about 10,400 ft, from about 2,000 ft over the top of the peak. To give you an idea of how high that is, my barn is at 6,200 ft, so he is at times 5-6,000 feet up over the valley floor. One of his favorite perches is a dead stag at the top of this peak. He comes back when he is done each day and I have never had to use telemetry to get him back. He is as fit as a wild falcon. The other 4 falcons (white gyr, 2 peales tiercels, and another lanerett) have been out 4 weeks. They are all imprints. I feed them before I let them out in the morning and then they get as much as they want when they come back that evening. I will post some actual video once I have a few minutes to cut some of the footage down. Most of the video feed is just so shaky it is useless, but I can get decent still photos. Here are a couple. Drool away."
--
Jason Jones
Program Director
Teton Raptor Center
PO Box 1805
Wilson, Wyoming 83014
Office 307.203.2551
Cell 801-628-9251
jason@tetonraptorcenter.org
www.tetonraptorcenter.org

sevristh
08-23-2010, 02:46 PM