PDA

View Full Version : Wendy

conorhawk
08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Here are some photo's of Wendy my 1x intermewed hen Red tail slope soaring yesterday.
She's kicking a$$ this year! boxingg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1050.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1065.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1066.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1067.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1100.jpg

tony123abc
08-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Muy bueno.

Chad L.
08-23-2010, 01:42 PM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu123/conorhawk/DSC_1100.jpg

Somebody needs to post this picture into one of the "best comment" threads.

I thinking something along the lines of "do you see me now?"

FredFogg
08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Awesome Connor! clappclappclapp I would love to soar hawk with a red-tail, tough to do with all the trees around here! LOL Maybe someday!

rrcoati
08-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Fantastic Connor clapp

hawkstir
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
Outstanding, super, and pretty darn nice even. clapp

longwinger2010
08-23-2010, 06:03 PM
How do you get to hunt already ? (Insert pouting lower lip here !)

conorhawk
08-23-2010, 06:15 PM
How do you get to hunt already ? (Insert pouting lower lip here !)
Wendy was put up in January and started molting February. was almost done in June and then started to double molt in late July by dropping 5 adult tail feathers and 4 adult wing feathers.

rri32701
08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice job Conner,I'm impressed.Just out of curiosity whats her weight now compared to last hunting season.

conorhawk
08-23-2010, 08:03 PM
last year was 1085-1130 this year I am flying her at just about any weight so far the lowest was 1182 and the highest was 1255

Chris L.
08-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Conor,

She looks great. Keep the photos coming this year.

Congrats on a great start!

tyler1998
08-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Connor,

What's the jack and CT pop's like there this year?

conorhawk
08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
They are all over the place I caught 4 ct's in the last 5 days and I see tons of jackrabbits it's not even funny!

42fleet
08-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Dam i love the dark reds

i would love to get one like that

she is so pretty

OATS
08-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Looking good Conor, great pics too.....as usual.

conorhawk
08-24-2010, 02:50 AM
thanks Eric I was trying to get HD video today but the camera is so light weight it shakes might have to go old school and pull out the vx2100 it's SD but still a great camera.

I should have more pics up this week.

Saluqi
08-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Very Nice Conor! Keep it up!

California Native
08-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Beautiful colored Red-Tail Conor.

Was in your area ten-fifteen years ago and out with a friend and his Red-Tail. Watched his bird soar up to 600'-700' while we beat the brush for a jack rabbit. Beautiful stoop followed and very impressive to see the speed and shifting as it took this Jack rabbit in heavy brush.

conorhawk
08-24-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks Paul I should have some photo's up today or tomorrow.

conorhawk
08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Beautiful colored Red-Tail Conor.

Was in your area ten-fifteen years ago and out with a friend and his Red-Tail. Watched his bird soar up to 600'-700' while we beat the brush for a jack rabbit. Beautiful stoop followed and very impressive to see the speed and shifting as it took this Jack rabbit in heavy brush.

When I thermal Wendy it is just amazing how hight she got last season she must have been 3000 feet I couldn't even see her any more I figured she just left the area. Then I pulled out the lure just for the hell of it and all I heard was a whistling type noise. It was her coming down from the highest pitch i have ever seen a falconry bird take.

It just is amazing that a raptor has that keen of eyesight that she saw a tiny lure for a hight that I couldn't see her.

I guess I should have started flushing rabbits instead of calling her down!

starburst89
08-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Conor, that last photo is just splendid. That one needs to be framed

tyler1998
08-24-2010, 07:33 PM
They are all over the place I caught 4 ct's in the last 5 days and I see tons of jackrabbits it's not even funny!

Good to hear! clapp

California Native
08-25-2010, 12:10 AM
When I thermal Wendy it is just amazing how hight she got last season she must have been 3000 feet I couldn't even see her any more I figured she just left the area. Then I pulled out the lure just for the hell of it and all I heard was a whistling type noise. It was her coming down from the highest pitch i have ever seen a falconry bird take.

It just is amazing that a raptor has that keen of eyesight that she saw a tiny lure for a hight that I couldn't see her.

I guess I should have started flushing rabbits instead of calling her down!

Well, Conor

That's an impressive height to see from any type of hawk or falcon. That would have been fun to watch her come down. The sound must have been exciting as well.

Dan

conorhawk
08-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Sorry guys I guess I'm a claimer because I didn't take any photos today in fact I am gathering as much footage as I can for a edit I plan to have up within 3 weeks I just can't seem to get Wendy to take a rabbit in the open but I got some nice stoops on film.

james morrisontoxic2
11-21-2010, 11:56 AM
wow stunning mate

Jared
11-21-2010, 01:08 PM
very cool Conor. That last pic is quite intense.

skooky20
12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
anyone hear from conor. Know if he made it to new york ok?

mainefalconer
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Yup, he's there, and settling in, and (surprise - surprise) has been taking some great pictures.

YARAK191
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
where r the pics?

frootdog
12-07-2010, 02:53 AM
where r the pics?

Facebook. Love the one of the pissed off hunter.......:D

conorhawk
12-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah I have figured out that when I was in CA I was a spoiled little brat and didn't even know it. Not to toot my own horn but I believe I'm a fairly good falconer and I figure things out fairly quickly, but since I have been here I have run into nothing but problems and I don't know how to fix most of them.

I'v only found two fields with rabbits and they are so thick and have no high perches that it makes it difficult to catch them. the wind here is normally at 15-35 MPH and there are no hills so slope soaring is out of the question. everything is posted NO TRESPASSING. and there are waterfowl hunters everywhere so I want to keep Wendy as far away as possible.

Now for Squirrel hawking, Squirrels IMO are one of the hardest quarry to take with a Red Tail they not only can jump from tree to tree, go into holes and nests, and spiral around the tree but when they get on the ground they are not a whole lot easier to catch than a cottontail they can run fast, jump over your bird, dodge, and climb up another tree.

Wendy has not figured out how to wait until they get on the very thin limbs and then go for them she just will try to grab them on the trunk of the tree where they just spiral around to the other side. Or she will try to grab them on the ground and if she misses they dart up another tree and go into a hole.

I was catching one or two rabbits a day in CA and since I'v been here I'v caught one Squirrel. Not saying I don't like NY I love it here I guess because I grew up here. But I just need to figure out how to fly a Red Tail here.

mainefalconer
12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
It'll happen for you Conor! She's a good redtail, and she'll figure it out. Hawking in the northeast is just plain hard. I honestly believe that it's harder to run a head score here than anywhere else in the country. But you WILL do it. I took a redtail from here, out to the southwest for a full winter of hawking. Before we left, she was slaying squirrels and making it look easy. When we got out to the Sonoran desert, it took her several weeks before she figured out the timing of pounding desert cottontails. And during that period, she smashed into many a stand of prickly pear, just as the rabbits were scooting around the backside of them to use the cacti as a shield. Keep at it man. And if you have any reason to get up here this season, Tom and I will put you into some fantastic squirrel areas. Open invitation... :D

Meagan
12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Your bird will eventually figure it out, it just takes time. Squirrel hawking, in my personal opinion, is so much more fun than rabbit hawking. The cover here in Missiouri is so thick that finding good rabbit areas is hard to do. You'll start to see your bird thinking about how she is going to take the squirrel and she'll learn that she needs to ladder up in opposite trees and go from there. She'll even start to corckscrew down the trunk of the tree, much like the squirrels, and that is a beautiful sight to watch. You're doing great, I have always enjoyed reading about your beautiful bird, she'll figure the game out real quick. Good luck!

conorhawk
12-07-2010, 10:03 AM
It'll happen for you Conor! She's a good redtail, and she'll figure it out. Hawking in the northeast is just plain hard. I honestly believe that it's harder to run a head score here than anywhere else in the country. But you WILL do it. I took a redtail from here, out to the southwest for a full winter of hawking. Before we left, she was slaying squirrels and making it look easy. When we got out to the Sonoran desert, it took her several weeks before she figured out the timing of pounding desert cottontails. And during that period, she smashed into many a stand of prickly pear, just as the rabbits were scooting around the backside of them to use the cacti as a shield. Keep at it man. And if you have any reason to get up here this season, Tom and I will put you into some fantastic squirrel areas. Open invitation... :D

Thanks Scott if I don't make it up this season I will next season. Wendy figures stuff out really quickly so I'm sure the Squirrel hawking thing will pan out, I'm just waiting for some nice weather to fly her in. I want to contact some of these Pheasant clubs and see if I can get permission to go out there I don't really care if the Pheasants are farm raised I just want to get out and do something. Too bad it's illegal to hunt Gulls because there sure are allot of them around...

FredFogg
12-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Connor, you are now seeing that squirrel hawking is 3 deminsional where rabbit hawking is 2. She will figure it out, she is like a first year bird on squirrels and it does take them a while. She will be smacking them left and right before you know it. My red-tail will sit in a tree and the squirrel will be running through the tops of trees and I will be under it yelling Ho, Ho, Ho and wondering why she isn't going for it and then when it runs across that one small limb, there she is to snatch it off the limb. She picks her spots. It can be frustrating because sometimes while she is waiting for what she thinks is the right time, the squirrel makes it to a hole. But I just learn to trust her and let her do the work. She is pretty good at what she does! LOL

hawkerev
12-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Conor,

Keep at it once she catches on to squirrel hawkin, she will do well. I'm am of the opinion too Squirrel hawking is more exciting than rabbits here in NC for sure. For one we don't have that many, two the slips we do get are in thick cover so when you do get the odd rabbit, you typically just see the stoop & then find them on the rabbit ... you hardly ever see the catch.

Just to share how much experience counts last year my FRT caught 33 Grey squirrels total. This year we got 26 during the month of November & 5 already for December! She has their number!

Giver her time to figure them out, if you see her looking up as one goes up a tree tell her UP, UP and bag on the tree soon she will learn that when you bag on the tree and shout UP,UP there will be a small Grey treat in the top, even if she hasn't seen the squirrel move up.

It is quite amazing to watch a seasoned squirrel hawking RT do its thing, they get quite good at it.

With that said I would love to teach my RT to slope sore Jacksfrus) !!!!
I guess the grass is aways greener over the next hill?

Your always welcome to Squirrel Hawk NC with us to if you make it this way.

Good luck!

Joby
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Wendy'll pick it up quickly enough. As others have said, it's a new game for her, but there's a reason that the RT is the most successful hawk across the US....they're very adaptable! Are you hunting Greys or Fox squirrels? Just remember to arm her well, weather or not that includes skirted chaps is up to you, but I'd at least give her what Gary Brewer refers to as "barrel chaps", which are thicker and higher traditional anklets. That'll protect her legs a bit more. Good luck and keep it up!

BTW, while rabbits are more difficult, they are doable. Teddy Moritz of NJ turned me on to hawking over mini-doxies. Whether you go with them or another breed of little dog (like the JRT) they are great at driving the bunnies out from under the thick cover. Plus, when trained right, they make a great addition to your squirrel hawking team!

JRedig
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Are you doing any conditioning when not hunting? It will pay dividends on squirrel flights. I also recommend a good sling shot...

conorhawk
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Are you doing any conditioning when not hunting? It will pay dividends on squirrel flights. I also recommend a good sling shot...

Yep and yup the slingshot keeps them moving and I'm big into jump ups and controlled bates now.

AirAssault
12-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Love that dark color, and soar hawking. When they get up like that you got to just start running to get a flush and watch what happens WOW.

Big Foot
12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
thanks Eric I was trying to get HD video today but the camera is so light weight it shakes might have to go old school and pull out the vx2100 it's SD but still a great camera.

I should have more pics up this week.
Conor,

Have you thought of maybe using a monopod? Manfroto make a quick release version too..

conorhawk
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I have used monopods, handles, and I have try'd to add weight to the camera all worked well for their own purpose but I really want to get a professional but there is ups and downs to everything like the Canon 7D it is a great camera but for filming you need really smooth lenses and a rig with a shoulder mount and a z finder for an eyecup on the viewfinder. just that will get up to be about 1,500+the camera body.