PDA

View Full Version : Hello. Seeking information in New Jersey

don c
08-24-2010, 02:11 AM
I am new to falconry and would like ANY information on group meetings and/or any way to get involved with other apprentices or falconers in my general area of Central, N.J. I recently had the pleasure to work with a baby Red Tailed Hawk who fell from his nest with a leg injury. Knowing the local animal control officer well, I've helped him with foxes, racoons, dogs, other small animals, and a couple of horses.
I currently own 7 retired standardbreds, 5 dogs, 4 small birds. All of our birds, with the exception of the Conure, were found on our farm and raised from the size of a silver dollar. Although the Hawk had to be returned, the time that I had spent with him really fueled my desire to learn and experience more in falconry. Anyone willing to help me get more involved in the sport, please contact me. I am in my 40's (though mentally in my 20's) and still love to seek new hobbies and friends , inevitably bringing me here to your forum.

GONEHAWKN
08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
"don c" (signing your posts with your real name keeps things friendly here) all i can say is good luck on your search for more info on the addiction we call falconry. one piece of advice, do not refer to falconry as a hobby. it is far from it..........welcome to the forum...

don c
08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Bill didnt mean to start off wrong.When I refer to the few thing I really enjoy in life that take all my time /money/and I think about it in my sleep I called them a hobby. Your correct addition is the better term. Don Carmody

outhawkn
08-24-2010, 08:45 AM
(welc) to Nafex.
I would contact your state club and your Fish and Game department.

longwinger2010
08-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Welcome to NAFEX.net !

KeiranZ
08-29-2010, 04:13 PM
I too am looking into becoming a falconer (except I'm 14), and the I'd say the best thing to do is to read anything you can on the subject and contact your state falconry club. Try "TheModernApprentice.com," it's filled with information on every aspect of the "addiction" you can possibly think of.

Good luck,
Keiran Zwirner