PDA

View Full Version : Meet Makya

Eagle Owl
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Well, after 2 and a half days of trapping, I have my new RT. Her name is Makya, meaning Lover of the Chase. She weighed 1350g off the trap with a hood on, no crop. The next morning she weighed 1280g. She is short and stocky, with some fat feet. Here are a few pics.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/Me_Makya.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_7096_600_x_400.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/Makya_back.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_7110_600_x_400.jpg

robhawkyyz
09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Brandi,

I knew you would have one in no time... she looks like another rabbit stompin' machine!!!

Rob

everetkhorton
09-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Brandi:
Congratulation on your new bird. 70g. drop over night. Interesting.
Have fun.

Jimmy
09-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice looking bird....... the redtail too [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
How do you pronounce her name?

chamokane
09-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Nice, powerful looking Red Tail.

Eagle Owl
09-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Nice looking bird....... the redtail too [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]
How do you pronounce her name?

Thanks, Jimmy! Her name is pronounced Mah kī ah.

Eagle Owl
09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Brandi:
Congratulation on your new bird. 70g. drop over night. Interesting.
Have fun.

Not sure where it went, but she was weighed twice both times. The hood weighed 16g and she was hooded the first time, but not the next morning, so her drop was actually about 54g. She was at 1250g this morning with about 20g food yesterday. She is already taking tidbits from tweezers, leaning over to get them, and I will try to get her to bend down for food on the fist later.

Rudd
09-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Congrats. She is a nice looking bird.

kimmerar
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
WTG Brandi - keep us posted. She looks great.

Lee Slikkers
09-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Congrats Brandi...I sure love the 1st few weeks with a freshly trapped RT. There are few things like it on earth, imho...I wish you both much success.

robhawkyyz
09-19-2007, 07:17 PM
Brandi ,

What happened with your knee surgery??? all is good i hope!!!

Rob

Eagle Owl
09-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Well, she just ate on the fist very aggressively. I also have her drinking water out of a glass. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I have never seen a bird that drinks so much!

And Rob, the insurance company is being difficult, so not sure when I will be having surgery now. So, my friends have offered to help me with hunting before and after the surgery so I could get a bird and complete my apprenticeship this season.

robhawkyyz
09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Well, she just ate on the fist very aggressively. I also have her drinking water out of a glass. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] I have never seen a bird that drinks so much!

And Rob, the insurance company is being difficult, so not sure when I will be having surgery now. So, my friends have offered to help me with hunting before and after the surgery so I could get a bird and complete my apprenticeship this season.

Hope it works out... damn insurance companys LOL . At least the new RT is getting on with it...and keep them friends around too !!!

Rob

sevristh
09-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Congrats Brandi! Great looking bird! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

Keep us posted with pics and updates!

Bodarc
09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
She is a beaut Brandi....and a hoss too.

Horath
09-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Great Lookin' Brandi! Bird... [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

[smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

wesleyc6
09-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Very nice! Congrats on the new bird. I hope your surgery works out perfectly with regards to timing and falconry. I am STILL waiting on some license issues to work out. I think I am going to have to send a pair of birds back to GA, because I am DONE building and I have 3 pairs and 4 chambers and two falconry slots. Doesn't quite add up even though the falcon will never see a mew. I just built a nice shelf perch for the falcon. OH well..................................I can't wait to be able to trap. It may be a a few days still or a couple of weeks. I hope not!

Eagle Owl
09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
We have a lot of permit issues around here [smilie=icon_toilet.gif]
Just keep on them about it. And good luck trapping...you are in a great place for it!!!

Eagle Owl
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, Makya is proving to be a handful! She is VERY feisty and is a real biter! She will let me do anything I want to her feet, but I move my hand within biting range and she will get me. I take a drink of water and she will bite at the bottle. She has even bitten my head a few times. And for some reason she has started biting my hair. Has done it several times in the last few minutes [smilie=dontknow.gif] She has an evil look that my last bird didn't have...this bird wants to kill me!!! LOL

But, she did lean as far as she could to take tidbits today and actually jumped to the fist for the last tidbit, so something is right [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] She still bates like crazy, though. I guess this is payback since I had such a calm bird last season.

kimmerar
09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Well, Makya is proving to be a handful! She is VERY feisty and is a real biter! She will let me do anything I want to her feet, but I move my hand within biting range and she will get me. I take a drink of water and she will bite at the bottle. She has even bitten my head a few times. And for some reason she has started biting my hair. Has done it several times in the last few minutes [smilie=dontknow.gif] She has an evil look that my last bird didn't have...this bird wants to kill me!!! LOL

But, she did lean as far as she could to take tidbits today and actually jumped to the fist for the last tidbit, so something is right [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] She still bates like crazy, though. I guess this is payback since I had such a calm bird last season.

This bird I have now was like that - but she's coming around. Ahe would bite anything and just hang there biting and feet dangling. It's alot easier with a small bird to ignore those - she drew blood a few times - I still flinch thinking she's gonna get me.

Jimmy
09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Brandi,
Find a small flat rock, and put it between your fingers. Let her bite it a few times and she may quit biting your hands after she realizes that it doesn't do any good and doesn't get a reaction from you.

kimmerar
09-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Good idea Jimmy - on my kbird I use my fingernail. Same idea - smaller scale.

Eagle Owl
09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
I was told to try the rock thing yesterday, too. I am going rock hunting :)

stewbutter
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
I trapped a bird last year early and had her taking tidbits the first night. But she was a bitting fool. put leather work gloves on to just let her bit them over and over and over. I finally just let her go.

Eagle Owl
09-24-2007, 10:21 PM
Well, the rock thing worked...she pretty much stopped biting. Every once in a while she will try to bite me, but she still will bite at other people that try to touch her.

She is progressing very well. I had her outside on the creance and she flew 25 feet at 1170g. Not bad for a week. [smilie=banana.gif]

BestBeagler
09-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I am very jealous. Conformation is everything to me, and that bird has it. Feather perfect to. Very nice. My apprentice named his last bird Makya. What are the chances? Isaac

Eagle Owl
09-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Here are a few pics I took this morning.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_1607_sized.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_1605_sized.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_1609_sized.jpg

everetkhorton
09-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Brandi:
Very nice looking bird. Her feed are nice a heavy. Have fun and keep us posted on her progress. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Eagle Owl
09-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Another update: Makya flew 111 feet on the creance this evening. She does not like the lure...she is afraid of it! [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I fed her a mouse on it tonight and I had to split it open and expose the guts and she would lean over and steal bites off of it. I fed her some more tidbits on the lure and she did the same thing. She landed in front of the lure and walked close to it and then leaned over and took the tidbits. Then she jumped up on my head! This bird is just nuts!!!!!

I am also having a hard time finding a hood that fits her. I have 5 hoods and have cut on 2 trying to get them to fit. She has a big head! I have tried several other hoods on her, but they are all too small. They are either too small in general, or the beak openings rub on her beak. The first hood I had on her rubbed a sore, but I caught it just as it was forming and it was gone 2 days later. This is 2 birds in a row that have had big heads!

everetkhorton
09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Another update: Makya flew 111 feet on the creance this evening. She does not like the lure...she is afraid of it! [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I fed her a mouse on it tonight and I had to split it open and expose the guts and she would lean over and steal bites off of it. I fed her some more tidbits on the lure and she did the same thing. She landed in front of the lure and walked close to it and then leaned over and took the tidbits. Then she jumped up on my head! This bird is just nuts!!!!!

Brandi:
She is just not there yet. She knows the fist because of food, now she has to learn the lure is food also.

I am also having a hard time finding a hood that fits her. I have 5 hoods and have cut on 2 trying to get them to fit. She has a big head! I have tried several other hoods on her, but they are all too small. They are either too small in general, or the beak openings rub on her beak. The first hood I had on her rubbed a sore, but I caught it just as it was forming and it was gone 2 days later. This is 2 birds in a row that have had big heads!

Eagle Owl
09-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Brandi:
She is just not there yet. She knows the fist because of food, now she has to learn the lure is food also.

I know Ev...it is my fault. I did this with my last bird, too. I get so wrapped up in them jumping to the fist that I completely forget about the lure until I start creance flying. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I am really gonna work on the lure the rest of the week.

everetkhorton
09-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Brandi:

I know Ev...it is my fault. I did this with my last bird, too. I get so wrapped up in them jumping to the fist that I completely forget about the lure until I start creance flying. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I am really gonna work on the lure the rest of the week.

Brandi:
You are no different than any of us. The day that you no longer get excited about training a new bird is the day you should think about hanging it up. IMO

chamokane
09-26-2007, 12:46 PM

Sounds like a good excuse to start making your own hoods. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

My old RT has a large, long head and I could never buy a hood that fit her. I finally had to practically build a hood on her head to get one to fit. She's so happy with the final result that, now, if I hold the hood in front of her, she will push her face into it and snuggle in. Some birds are just built different.

Your bird sounds like she is doing well. Good luck.

Eagle Owl
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, I am at a loss as to what to do with this darn bird! This afternoon I had her on the fist for a while and when I went to put her back on her perch, she footed my head. No big deal...I just blew it off as a one time thing. I went to creance her this evening (1160g) and the first 3 flights to the fist were perfect. Then I broke out the lure and she flew straight at my head again then jumped on the lure. I had part of a chicken neck on there, so it took her a while to eat it and she mantled like crazy and chirped the whole time. I did the normal with putting my glove close to her feet so she would learn that I was not going to steal her food. When she was done with that, she jumped right on the fist. I put her back on the perch and this time I did not even get 10 feet before she was flying to me, so I turned around and took her back to the perch. Next time I got about 20 feet away and swung the lure again...again she went for my head. I took her off my head and took her back to the perch. Tried the lure a third time and this time she landed in front of it again and bent over to take the tidbit off. I let her sit on the ground for a few seconds before putting the glove up, hoping she would not come at my head again, and she didn't. I put her back on the perch and again, did not get 10 feet before she was flying to me. Did this 2 more times, so I called it a day. When we got back tot eh house and I put her on the perch, this time she bit the top of my head I am not sure what I am doing wrong with this bird. Any suggestions???

everetkhorton
09-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Brandi:
I only reward the bird gets is when I blow the whisle (spelling?) I the bird come while I am walking away she get nothing. I never want her to come unless I blow the whisle. Did the bird have time to react to the lure before she got to it. Once the bird takes off the perch after the lure and it is half way there put the lure on the ground etc. Give it lots of time to react to it. I never take the bird off the lure I tid bit her and use the whisle and she fly's to the fist. She will look up when she is done. I step on the lure just in case she has a talon hook on the lure. Are you feeding your bird while in the mew off the fist etc? Brandi this works for me and I hope some part of it will work for you.

robhawkyyz
09-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Brandi , They all have different personalities! So you have to work with that. If it goes for the top of you head it's looking for a higher perch... get your glove up and be prepared and a little bating is good excersize...

Eagle Owl
09-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Brandi:
I only reward the bird gets is when I blow the whisle (spelling?) I the bird come while I am walking away she get nothing. I never want her to come unless I blow the whisle. Did the bird have time to react to the lure before she got to it. Once the bird takes off the perch after the lure and it is half way there put the lure on the ground etc. Give it lots of time to react to it. I never take the bird off the lure I tid bit her and use the whisle and she fly's to the fist. She will look up when she is done. I step on the lure just in case she has a talon hook on the lure. Are you feeding your bird while in the mew off the fist etc? Brandi this works for me and I hope some part of it will work for you.

Ev,
I did not reward her the times she flew early or landed on my head. When I swing the lure, I whistle ans swing it, then let it fall on the ground so she can see the food. She then flies to me, not the lure...except that last time. I always let the bird finish what is on the lure before offering the glove. But when training, I put my glove at their feet and stroke their feet so they learn that I will not steal from them. I used to do that with my ed. birds, and extended that to falconry. That way, if I need to get control of the bird while on a kill or the lure, I can reach in and safely hook the bird up.

Right now the bird is tethered to a perch in my living room, on the fist, or in the GH. I have never fed her while on the perch. When I started tidbiting her, we were in an area separate from where she is perched. I don't put them in the mew until they are steady with me and hunting. I free-lofted my last bird and she did fine.

Eagle Owl
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Brandi , They all have different personalities! So you have to work with that. If it goes for the top of you head it's looking for a higher perch... get your glove up and be prepared and a little bating is good excersize...

I know they all have different personalities...and this one is FULL of personality!!! I just have a bad feeling that I will end up with stitches from this bird at some point this season [smilie=BangHead.gif]

everetkhorton
09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Brandi:

Sounds like you are doing every thing right to me. When calling her to the lure and you have put the lure on the ground step 90 degree to the side some distance so if she has commited herself to coming to you. This will give you some prior notice that she is coming. I use the dog run creance so this is not as likely to happen if I step aside. Just to be safe, wear safety glass and I would even wear a hard hat until I get it figured out. You may want to toss the lure in the direction of the bird to give yourself a little more distance between you and the bird. Good luck.

robhawkyyz
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Brandi , My first hawk was as sweet as could be and hunted great... My second hawk was a mean S.O.B. and footed me even while hooded . It knew its feet were deadly weapons and had no fear but it hunted great also... You may need gloves for both hands... all the training does not make them polite... Train it hunt with it and be ready for this new behavior you have stumbled upon...

Eagle Owl
09-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I really appreciate it. I am gonna put a whole back leg of a rabbit on the lure tomorrow to see if that will get her to fly to it. I will let her eat well and take a day off Friday. This weekend I will be in town with all the TODs, so I can get some help hunting her. We still have such high cover that it will take a large group to flush those darn bunnies.

Thanks again Ev and Rob!!!!

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 05:26 PM
OK...well that was fun [smilie=BangHead.gif] Let me start by saying that I can't find a hood that fits her properly, so I am using a hood that is too big until I can get one made for her. So I go to get her out of the GH (she is also hooded) and she foots at the glove. I take her out and pull the hood and hook her up to the creance. I walk about 20 feet away and blow the whistle and swing the lure and let it fall to the ground so she can see the whole back leg of a rabbit I put on there. She comes straight at me and I put the glove up just in time for her to land, then she jumps immediately on the lure. I am thinking...OK, not what I wanted, but she did jump immediately on the lure and started chowing down. I sit on the ground and let her eat, resting my hand next to her feet so she can get used to my glove being around her feet when she is on prey. She is mantling and chirping, but not as much as yesterday, so I am thinking this is at least better than yesterday. She has the bones about stripped of meat, so I am thinking that I need to get ready a tidbit so I can call her to the glove when she is done. As this thought is going through my head, she decides to latch onto my face. She got one talon stuck in my face right next to my nose and the other talons grabbed my sunglasses. [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] I put the glove up to get her off my face and she latches on to my arm right where the glove ends, so yet another talon is stuck in me. I put my arm on the ground and she gets off and stands there and chirps at me. I am now getting the taste of blood in my mouth as the small gash is gushing blood...it is dripping down my chin and onto my shirt. I put my glove up, ungarnished of course, and call her to it...she jumps right up. I take her and put her in her GH.

I really think now that she is too low. I felt her keel again today before I took her out and she may be a little sharp. I took her out at 1160g and when we got back she was 1265g. She didn't eat any of the bones. Tomorrow I will try this again at a higher weight. Not really sure what else to do with this aggression.

everetkhorton
09-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Brandi:
Do you think the bird seen itself in the sun glasses. If she knows the lure is food there is no reason for her to come at you. The Rt. I have now is a hand me down three years ago. When I went in the mew the third day I could just tell she was going to come after me, so I backed out and grabbed my glove. Just as I thought she flew at me and I put my hand up and pushed her to the floor, she right away few up again and I did the same thing again. She has never do it again. To protect your self only use enough line on the creance to let her get to the lure and stand outside that distance, that way if she passes the lure and heads for you she will be pulled to the ground by the line. Are you handling her outside of the feeding and lure training time, like going for walk etc. Put out two perchs and every hour go out and picker her up and move her. Let her get use to you fooling with her. I hold the jess tight and play with there feet. etc.
Good luck.

sevristh
09-27-2007, 06:42 PM
That's a very good idea that I didn't even think of and I bet that's it, that she saw her reflection in your sun glasses. I know when I was first getting Neco to jump to the glove, I was standing in the bathroom doorway to my bedroom, and had the meat in a dish on the sink. Well, I turned around once with him on the glove and he bated toward his reflection and I realized my mistake.

everetkhorton
09-27-2007, 07:10 PM
That's a very good idea that I didn't even think of and I bet that's it, that she saw her reflection in your sun glasses. I know when I was first getting Neco to jump to the glove, I was standing in the bathroom doorway to my bedroom, and had the meat in a dish on the sink. Well, I turned around once with him on the glove and he bated toward his reflection and I realized my mistake.

Dave:
At this point you just do not know. I would have a safe zone plus I would stand at about a 45 degree angle with my back to her. That way if she comes at me I duck and push her off before she nail me. It is much easier to set up the safe zone.

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Brandi:
Do you think the bird seen itself in the sun glasses. If she knows the lure is food there is no reason for her to come at you. The Rt. I have now is a hand me down three years ago. When I went in the mew the third day I could just tell she was going to come after me, so I backed out and grabbed my glove. Just as I thought she flew at me and I put my hand up and pushed her to the floor, she right away few up again and I did the same thing again. She has never do it again. To protect your self only use enough line on the creance to let her get to the lure and stand outside that distance, that way if she passes the lure and heads for you she will be pulled to the ground by the line. Are you handling her outside of the feeding and lure training time, like going for walk etc. Put out two perchs and every hour go out and picker her up and move her. Let her get use to you fooling with her. I hold the jess tight and play with there feet. etc.
Good luck.

When she grabbed me, she was not looking at me. She had her head down pulling at the fur on the rabbit foot and then she is attached to my face. I have still been manning her and when she is on the glove, I touch her feet and put my hands near her head so she is used to me messing with her. She was biting me a lot, but I used the rock Jimmy suggested and she has not tried to bite me in a few days. I think she is too low and when she realized that she was out of food on the lure she was telling me..."bitch, I want some more food!" I am gonna try again tomorrow with other falconers around and see what happens.

I will also try the 2 perches thing.

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Dave:
At this point you just do not know. I would have a safe zone plus I would stand at about a 45 degree angle with my back to her. That way if she comes at me I duck and push her off before she nail me. It is much easier to set up the safe zone.

When she flew at me instead of the lure today, she was not trying to get me, I think she was just flying to me cause that is what she is used to, She landed on the glove fine, then kinda bounced off and landed on the lure. She nailed me while I was sitting on the ground beside her while she was eating.

everetkhorton
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Brandi:
Good luck.

When she grabbed me, she was not looking at me. She had her head down pulling at the fur on the rabbit foot and then she is attached to my face. I have still been manning her and when she is on the glove, I touch her feet and put my hands near her head so she is used to me messing with her. She was biting me a lot, but I used the rock Jimmy suggested and she has not tried to bite me in a few days. I think she is too low and when she realized that she was out of food on the lure she was telling me..."bitch, I want some more food!" I am gonna try again tomorrow with other falconers around and see what happens.

I will also try the 2 perches thing.

Brandi:
Having some other people to watch her movements will help a gread deal.
If she attacked your glove I can understand she is looking for more food.
But not your face. Set up that safety zone with the creance. If she thinks another hawk was there she would attack in a flash. All she had to do is get a glimps of herself in your glass, and bam she there. She does not have to have her head facing you with both eye.. JMO. Good luck tomorrow.

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks Ev. I think I will need lots of luck!!!

robhawkyyz
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Brandi, Let me start by saying " i hope your ok" . I think i told you to be prepared and to get two gloves and maybe a hockey mask LOL. My last aggressive redtail did not relax until i maxxed her weight out during the molt. so you may have a very hungry bird or one that had bad parents and mean siblings LOL... sounds like you got a plan Stick with it and don't give up!!!

Jimmy
09-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Brandi, I think you're lying....... we need video as proof....... [smilie=smileys13.gif] hehehe....

It kinda sounds like she was trying to bully you out of some more food. This goes without saying, but be careful around her until she settles down. They can put a serious hurting on you. My daughter's bird nailed her in the face last year, trying to bully her. We stopped it by realizing what she was doing wrong, and it's never happened again. Talons in the face are no joke.

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks, Rob...I am OK. Pride is hurt more than my face. I may try the hockey mask...with my luck she will still get a talon through and nail me. I plan to stick with her...I am not a quitter and I won't let her intimidate me. If anything, it makes me more determined to turn this bird into am awesome hunter that WON'T hunt me.

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Brandi, I think you're lying....... we need video as proof....... [smilie=smileys13.gif] hehehe....

It kinda sounds like she was trying to bully you out of some more food. This goes without saying, but be careful around her until she settles down. They can put a serious hurting on you. My daughter's bird nailed her in the face last year, trying to bully her. We stopped it by realizing what she was doing wrong, and it's never happened again. Talons in the face are no joke.

Thanks for the support, Jimmy...I knew I could count on you! LOL

I think she is trying to intimidate me. I trapped her in an area that had 4 passage birds in one field earlier that morning. So she may have been one of those 4 birds I saw and is used to getting beat up when eating. Hopefully having others watch me will help determine what I am doing wrong.

everetkhorton
09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Brandi
Kenny Rogers had a song about a gambler and it said " you need to know when to hold them and know when to fold them". Don't let your pride get in the way of your judgement. There are a lot of Rt's out there. Don't lose an eye or worse. Just because this bird is aggressive (spelling?) means it will be an outstanding hunter, that is [smilie=bs.gif] There are birds that are just going to fight you every step of the way, and then there are the ones that are a lot of fun and you have fun with. I would set a time frame for progress and getting down to business and being calm and if she is not there cut her loss and thank her for her time with you. You would not be the first and will not be the last to do so. Be Carefull

Eagle Owl
09-27-2007, 11:49 PM
I agree that I may need to cut my losses, but I am not going to throw in the towel after just 10 days. I am not the kind of person to just give up. I will raise her weight some, work with the lure a little more, and evaluate her in a few more days. I don't want to just say she is too aggressive, so she is history. I want to give her a chance.

The reason I think she will be a good game hawk is because she has already shown interest in game. I can't walk her around my snakes or large lizard or she will key in on them and bate toward them. On Tuesday I took her out of her GH to take her in the house and a large toad hopped in front of is and she bated at it. I know these are small prey, but they are prey, nonetheless.

I have worked with hundreds of hawks, falcons, owls, vultures, and eagles in the last 7 years, and I know what they are capable of. I now know that she will attack me, so I will be more diligent of my actions as well as hers. I will have people with me this weekend that can watch me with her and help me determine what I am doing that is causing this reaction. If it can't be figured out, or she remains aggressive, even after I get her out hunting, then I will release her. But I want to at least give her a chance.

everetkhorton
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I agree that I may need to cut my losses, but I am not going to throw in the towel after just 10 days. I am not the kind of person to just give up. I will raise her weight some, work with the lure a little more, and evaluate her in a few more days. I don't want to just say she is too aggressive, so she is history. I want to give her a chance.

The reason I think she will be a good game hawk is because she has already shown interest in game. I can't walk her around my snakes or large lizard or she will key in on them and bate toward them. On Tuesday I took her out of her GH to take her in the house and a large toad hopped in front of is and she bated at it. I know these are small prey, but they are prey, nonetheless.

I have worked with hundreds of hawks, falcons, owls, vultures, and eagles in the last 7 years, and I know what they are capable of. I now know that she will attack me, so I will be more diligent of my actions as well as hers. I will have people with me this weekend that can watch me with her and help me determine what I am doing that is causing this reaction. If it can't be figured out, or she remains aggressive, even after I get her out hunting, then I will release her. But I want to at least give her a chance.

Brandi:
Sounds like you have a plan. On my desk at work I had a saying" Plan your work and work your plan". Have a good week end, good luck!

Eagle Owl
09-29-2007, 03:13 AM
Well that just figures!!! I have a couple of fellow falconers watch as I creance my bird today. She was at 1175, a little lower than I would have liked. I get about 50 feet away and swing the lure. She did not really respond until I let the lure fall on teh ground and she came right to it! I sat down about a foot and a half away and let her eat in peace. But she just sat there mantling. After a couple of minutes, she cast and then chowed down!!!! When she got down to nothing but bone, I stood up and got a tidbit ready on the glove. I called her name and she looked up at me. After a few seconds, she left teh bone and jumped on the glove. Perfect.

After the advice of my friends, I am gonna try hunting her tomorrow. They think it is best to get her in the field killing and maybe she will lose some of this aggression. I will let y'all know how it goes!

everetkhorton
09-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Well that just figures!!! I have a couple of fellow falconers watch as I creance my bird today. She was at 1175, a little lower than I would have liked. I get about 50 feet away and swing the lure. She did not really respond until I let the lure fall on teh ground and she came right to it! I sat down about a foot and a half away and let her eat in peace. But she just sat there mantling. After a couple of minutes, she cast and then chowed down!!!! When she got down to nothing but bone, I stood up and got a tidbit ready on the glove. I called her name and she looked up at me. After a few seconds, she left teh bone and jumped on the glove. Perfect.

After the advice of my friends, I am gonna try hunting her tomorrow. They think it is best to get her in the field killing and maybe she will lose some of this aggression. I will let y'all know how it goes!

Brandi:
Be sure and use the whisle every time you call her to the lure or fist. Useing a name is just one more thing they have to try and understand. It is most important to use the whisle when calling to the fist. Murphy law took over yesterday. The whisle is the simples Q you can use. Good luck. with your hunt.

Jimmy
09-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I don't use a whistle............

awahl
09-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Hi Brandy,
I just read the whole thread from beginning to end. Sounds to me like you have a lot experience with birds, so this might be a little "yeah I already know that", but in any case here goes:
1. It sounds like she understands the lure
2. She knows you are not a threat
3. She is very close to hunting
In my opinion, the lure is used to retrieve the bird. She understands that. What about just using the lure for calling the bird to you to retrieve her only. While she is busily feeding, hook her up to the glove, so she can't get to you. Put a hood on her (if you can get one that fits [smilie=eusa_think.gif] ). Call it a day.

How any times do you call her to the lure each session? You might be to the point where you only need to call her a couple of times a day. When you are out hawking, how many times do you call her to the lure? My point is that while hunting, you don't have to call her to the lure a bunch of times. She might be feeling a little ripped off with only a small amount of food each call. A different redtail that I had was too a little aggressive, but calmed down immediately when I began to do only one or two calls for a larger reward. It will also mirror the hunting situation more closely as well.

I know there are a lot of falconers out there that like to have their birds feed on the ground. Sounds like that is how you prefer it as well. In this case, you might just have to feed her on the glove. I was grabbed in the face by a big female redtail once; missed my eye by about 1 millimeter. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Take it with a grain of salt, it's just an observation. I hope you get her dialed in. I was always fond of those really aggressive birds as well.

Good Luck!
Andy

RTJim
09-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I am having trouuble posting pics,,,,is there something wrong with photobucket????..... [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif] ............jm

Eagle Owl
10-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Brandi:
Be sure and use the whisle every time you call her to the lure or fist. Useing a name is just one more thing they have to try and understand. It is most important to use the whisle when calling to the fist. Murphy law took over yesterday. The whisle is the simples Q you can use. Good luck. with your hunt.

Ev,

When I call her to the fist, I call her name, then whistle with my mouth. I have a loud enough whistle that for close range she can hear that. When calling her to the lure, I use a whistle. My reasoning is that when I will need to call her tot eh lure, she will more than likely be out of range to hear me, but will be able to hear the whistle.

Eagle Owl
10-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi Brandy,
I just read the whole thread from beginning to end. Sounds to me like you have a lot experience with birds, so this might be a little "yeah I already know that", but in any case here goes:
1. It sounds like she understands the lure
2. She knows you are not a threat
3. She is very close to hunting
In my opinion, the lure is used to retrieve the bird. She understands that. What about just using the lure for calling the bird to you to retrieve her only. While she is busily feeding, hook her up to the glove, so she can't get to you. Put a hood on her (if you can get one that fits [smilie=eusa_think.gif] ). Call it a day.

How any times do you call her to the lure each session? You might be to the point where you only need to call her a couple of times a day. When you are out hawking, how many times do you call her to the lure? My point is that while hunting, you don't have to call her to the lure a bunch of times. She might be feeling a little ripped off with only a small amount of food each call. A different redtail that I had was too a little aggressive, but calmed down immediately when I began to do only one or two calls for a larger reward. It will also mirror the hunting situation more closely as well.

I know there are a lot of falconers out there that like to have their birds feed on the ground. Sounds like that is how you prefer it as well. In this case, you might just have to feed her on the glove. I was grabbed in the face by a big female redtail once; missed my eye by about 1 millimeter. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Take it with a grain of salt, it's just an observation. I hope you get her dialed in. I was always fond of those really aggressive birds as well.

Good Luck!
Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions. Read below for a detailed account of her first free flight. But to answer some of your questions. I don't usually use the lure except to retrieve a bird when in the filed. For the first few kills, I use the lure with the entire meal just to reinforce the lure, but after that, I trade off the bird for small chunks of food. I toss the chunks on the ground just far enough away so the bird has to let go of the kill to get the reward. Then I call them to the glove for another tidbit and resume hunting.

Eagle Owl
10-02-2007, 06:21 AM
OK…After having a couple of fellow falconers watch my bird on the creance (Krys and Kylie), we decided that she was ready to go hunting. Saturday morning we take her out. She was at 1170g. She flies up to a telephone pole and starts hunting. We are beating the brush, but not kicking anything up. We flushed a couple of rabbits, but they ran into some rocks before the bird could see them. She actually seems to be following us…moving up on the poles as we are walking further away from her. She looks as though she is just moving up to another pole, but instead begins circling. I get out the lure and no response…telemetry chase here we come [smilie=angry5.gif] We find her not far away and again I try to call her to the glove and lure…nothing. She again takes off. We spend about 20 minutes trying to track her down again (we were in an industrial area with a small airport nearby, so the telemetry signal was bouncing all over the place). She was sitting on the same freaking pole where she took off from in the first place. I again try to call her down to the glove and lure. She just kept hunting, moving down the poles after a few minutes of scanning the area below her. Again, she took off in a soar. I was pretty fed up. If Makya didn’t have on Krys’ transmitter, I would not have cared if I got her back. She has been a pain in the ass since the beginning and I was just at my wits end at this time. But, I also did not want her flying around with equipment on, so the only choice I had was to try and trap her.

So, we ran to Krys' house to get a BC and a gerbil. Kylie even brought her pet rabbit, Elmer, just in case we needed a baggie. We get back to the area and pinpoint her location. She is sitting on a pole in one of our favorite hawking spots. We go to throw the trap and she bumps to another pole. As Krys is trying to figure out how to get his 4-Runner over to where she is (we are in a field with areas that have over 5 foot tall cover and the only road is about 2 feet of mud), she goes down on something. Krys jumps out of the truck and runs over to her and I hobble there as fast as I can. She is on a very large yellow-bellied water snake. Krys made in and snatched Makya up by her legs…he didn’t have a glove. I got there and put her in time-out for the rest of the day. [smilie=BangHead.gif]

Since that was a total disaster, I needed to rethink my course of action. I decided that her weight needed to be dropped a bit more and that I needed to strictly do lure flights with her on the creance. So Saturday evening I took her out of time-out and put her back on the creance. Her weight was down to 1140g. I divided her meal up into 3 large chunks and planned to fly her to the lure 3 times. The first flight…she headed toward my glove again, but I went a bit further than the creance line and Makya landed on the ground, and it just happened to be right in front of the lure. (Oops…my bad) She snatched the lure and chowed down. The next flight, I could not get far enough away to throw the lure. So Kylie took the lure and she went and swung it. Makya went right to it! Kylie called Makya to the fist so she could hold her so I could get far enough away to swing the lure. Again, she came right to the lure.

Kylie and I have been doing this for the past 3 days. Since Kylie will have to help me with her in the field until I can get my darn knees fixed, we are both doing her training so she is used to Kylie, too. At 1140g, I can’t get 20 feet without Makya flying to me. I turn my back on her, hide the glove in front of me and try to hobble away as fast as I can, but she still flies to me. So Kylie and I trade off holding her until the other is far enough away, then we put her on her perch. Today, I even had to hide behind a mailbox to keep her from flying to me. After her second lure flight, which Kylie swung the lure and took her back to her perch, I was about ready to swing the lure and Makya started flying to Kylie. I yelled incoming, and Kylie turned around and moved out of Makya’s flight path and she landed on the roof. Perfect opportunity to see if she would come down to the lure from a high perch…she did…immediately! And when she is done with her meal on the lure, she politely steps off and jumps to the fist. I think she is ready to try in the field again. She has not shown any signs of aggression and has immediate response to the lure. This darn bird has been such a challenge, but I am hoping the time and effort will be worth it when she is out killing critters.

awahl
10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Great idea mixing up the "trainer" (at least in her head). The only constant was the lure. She has to figure it out then! First free flight, and she got a kill!
Andy

trillionairess
10-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Brandi -

Any updates???

Eagle Owl
10-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Nothing new really. I had been strictly flying her on the creance to the lure. She now has immediate response to the lure and fist. I had some family obligations this weekend, and I need some help in the field because of my knees, so I will fly her free again on Thursday. She has shown no aggression since the face grab. She eats her food from the lure, steps off, and jumps to the glove. She is doing really well. She still bates a lot on her perch, and I can't figure out why. I put her in the mews for the first time yesterday and she sits there very calm.

Hunting her will tell me the true story, though :)

everetkhorton
10-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Nothing new really. I had been strictly flying her on the creance to the lure. She now has immediate response to the lure and fist. I had some family obligations this weekend, and I need some help in the field because of my knees, so I will fly her free again on Thursday. She has shown no aggression since the face grab. She eats her food from the lure, steps off, and jumps to the glove. She is doing really well. She still bates a lot on her perch, and I can't figure out why. I put her in the mews for the first time yesterday and she sits there very calm.

Hunting her will tell me the true story, though :)

Brandi:
If you can find the time, take a chair out and watch your bird to see why she is bating. Sit behind her, change the way the perch is facing. It maybe the time of the year. Are you giving her bath water daily?
I hope those knees get better, any plan's for them.

REDTAIL505
10-11-2007, 11:51 AM
God, she is beautiful and I love reading about her progress. My first bird will be next fall so I am so enjoying your experience with this hawk.

Horath
10-17-2007, 07:41 PM
[quote="Eagle Owl"] I think she is too low and when she realized that she was out of food on the lure she was telling me..."bitch, I want some more food!" [quote]

I'm sorry Brandi I just caught this and have to ask. Do all your birds talk to you like this? Do you think they may be ghetto birds?
[smilie=smileys13.gif]

Eagle Owl
10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
[smilie=smileys13.gif] Yep, they all talk to me like this. In fact, most birds that I know talk like this. [smilie=bs.gif]

Jimmy
10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
How's progress with your bird, Brandi?

wesleyc6
10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
I was wondering the same. I thought no news probably wasn't good news though.

Eagle Owl
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry I haven't posted any progress, but I have been in Fort Worth for the last week and I haven't had access to a computer. Here is her progress report. I will post some pics when I get them from the photographer :)

WooHoo! Makya is finally doing great! I took her out with a group of friends last Thursday (October 11) (weight 1160g, 40.9 ounces) for her second first free flight and things went right this time. We were in the field for about 2 minutes when Kylie flushed a bunny and Makya launched off the fist and chased it! The bunny ducked into a drainage ditch and Makya was walking around on the ground when she disappeared in the tall grass and then I heard a bunny screaming. I guess the bunny made the mistake of popping back out of the drainage ditch and Makya was waiting for it! Her first official kill!!!!!!

I took her back out to the same place on Friday (weight 1155g, 40.7 oz), and she was actually following behind us. I was really surprised, but our time was cut short when she decided to land on a transformer. I called her to the lure immediately and she took a large chunk of meat and ate it. I walked a little ways down from the transformer and let her go again and she flew back to the same freaking transformer, so again I called her to the lure. We were done after that since she had been given her entire food ration at that time.

Saturday (weight 1155g, 40.7 oz) was another great day of hawking. Again she was following well. She likes to soar above us which is fun to watch. Krys took a TON of pictures of her soaring  After about 30 minutes in the field, we flushed a bunny, but it was staying in the thick cover. She saw it and began flying after it. I guess she lost it momentarily and she began hovering over where we saw the bunny stop. She then did a wingover and slammed on the bunny! Kill #2

Sunday (weight 1160g, 40.9 oz) Krys, Belle, and I took Makya to a field that only has a real tall building for a perch. She would land on the building and then soar a bit, then land back on the building. It is cool to watch her soaring above us and I try my best to flush something when she is soaring cause those can be some really cool flights! About 10 minutes in the filed she got her first bunny. I didn’t want to stop yet, so I traded her off for just a large chunk of meat instead of giving her all of her food as I had been doing. It went OK, with some help from Krys. We were in tall weeds, so he pushed the weeds down and used a stick to show Makya the meat. I tried to get her to get back on the building, but she decided my fist was a better place to be…then she decided to climb up my arm. When I got her to climb back over to the glove, she turned her attention to Krys and jumped down at his feet. I called her back to the fist and started walking with her on the fist. Again she jumped down at Krys’ feet, but this time she jumped on his back instead of my glove. I walked over to her and picked her up and started walking with her again. A third time she jumped down at Krys’ feet. I have no idea why she was so infatuated with his feet. This time we just left her and she decided that she didn’t like that, so she flew back up tot eh building. She had 3 more flights, but missed all of them. About 15 minutes after her first kill, she went down again, but this time she didn’t miss! FIRST DOUBLE!!!!! With that I called it a day. We were in the field about 25 minutes total!

Monday afternoon (weight 1140g, 40.2 oz), Kylie, Belle, and I went out to the same field. We walked about 10 steps into the field and Makya launched off the fist and chased down a bunny! Makya had the bunny by the butt and the bunny was wedged in between a railroad track and the concrete. I trader her off to a chunk of meat and when she was done, she jumped to Kylie’s fist. Kylie is helping me out on kills since I am having so much trouble with my knees, so she weras a glove in the field, too. I then called Makya over to me and we continued on. Makya has a problem with leaving the fist, so I usually just walk with her until she decided she wants to leave. Well, she didn’t want to leave, so I tossed her off the fist. She circled around us a few times, then tried to land on the side of the building and about fell out of the air. She instead landed on a rail car. A few minutes later she had a flight, but missed. She walked over tot eh railroad track and just sat there. I finally called her to the fist and walked back out into the field. A few minutes later she took off the fist and again tried to land on the side of the building, but this time she did fall and landed on the railroad tracks again. Kylie finally had to walk over there to try to get her up. She did not even want to come to the fist. She finally went to Kylie, who tried to duck to see if Makya would keep flying, but it didn’t work and she just landed on Kylie’s back. That was pretty funny! Kylie got Makya back on her fist and brought her back into the field. Makya finally flew off the fist and landed on a light pole…the first good perch since we got to the field. Makya had one more flight, but missed. She was acting very odd and I think she was a bit too low so I fed her a bit more to raise her a little.

Tuesday (weight 1155g, 40.7 oz) was another great day!!! We flew her a little later that I thought we would, so her weight was not up as high as I had hoped, but it was at least higher than Monday’s weight. Again, Kylie, Belle, and I went out to the same field to see if she could get back up on the buildings. Makya flew off the fist pretty quick and went to a light pole. After a few minutes, she flew over to the top of the building. She had a flight but missed. She went back up to the building for another try. About 2 minutes later, she had a bunny!!! We transferred her off and 4 minutes later she had her second bunny! We had only been in the field 15 minutes, so I put her back up. 8 minutes later, she had bunny #3!!!! FIRST TRIPLE!!!!!

Today (weight 1180g, 41.6 oz) Kylie, Kurt, and I tried another field. We weren’t having any luck finding bunnies so we were going to try across the street along some railroad tracks. Railroad tracks are great bunny spots around here. As I was trying to get her to follow us over there, she took off in the opposite direction. So we started walking over to her when she went down on something. We were all looking for her when Kylie found her on a large male fox squirrel!!!! Kylie had never dispatched a squirrel before, and I was having a hard time getting Makya off the squirrel. I finally got her off, but the squirrel wasn’t dead yet, so Kylie was still trying to dispatch it when Makya jumped on Kylie’s arm and literally walked up her arm to her face and she grabbed her face with her talon, then let go and attached to Kylie’s bare hand. It was not a good transfer at all and Makya was really pissed! She had to sit on a log for a few minutes before resetting. After she roused and muted, she was fine and I got her back up on the fist. We went over to the railroad tracks and she went to a good perch. A few minutes later she was on a bunny! Another double.

Makya has really turned around from how she behaved on her first free flight. I flew her today 10 grams heaver than I did her first free flight when she took off, but I think it was just a matter of her needing more manning and lure training. Makya is still very aggressive acting after a kill. She had been transferring off really well until the squirrel today, and she transferred off the bunny well. But when I call her to the fist for a tidbit after she eats her transfer food, she had her hackles raised and mantles on the fist. I am very careful when I go grabbing for jesses because I know she will foot me if I move too fast. I still have to really keep my guard up with this bird, but I think she is going to have a great season!

In 7 days she has caught 9 bunnies and 1 squirrel.

Jimmy
10-17-2007, 09:41 PM
sounds like she's turned around. That's awesome!

Eagle Owl
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
She really has. The biting is gone...I can touch her beak and head now without her biting. I am comfortable with her most of the time...except right after a kill when she still has her hackles up. I try to be ready for anything.

Here are a few pics that I have gotten.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/MakyaHiding.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/Makya_head_shot.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/Makya_stooping.jpg

robhawkyyz
10-17-2007, 11:18 PM
I guess if i am up around that area and see two girls screaming out in a field it is probably ya"ll ... LOL glad to hear she is stompin' them bunnies...

wesleyc6
10-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Good job Brandi. I was fearing the worse. Way to hang in there!

chamokane
10-18-2007, 01:58 AM
Congratulations. She sounds like a killer.

awahl
10-18-2007, 08:19 AM
Wow! You didn't wait around for anything! Doubles and triples that fast is pretty amazing. Great job!

Eagle Owl
10-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks, guys. I am amazed at her turn around. She is one hard-crashing bird, too. She has taken bunnies in 5 foot tall cover. I can't wait for NAFA...I want to see her on jacks [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Eagle Owl
10-19-2007, 09:00 PM
I came back home Wednesday afternoon after flying Makya. I did not fly her yesterday or today because I have been too busy, plus she flew for 7 days in a row, so I was feeding her up a little and letting her get some rest with the intention of flying her again tomorrow. I went out to the mews to weight her; she was at 1200g. I put her back in the mews and was in the work room area looking at a possible place for a food shoot when Makya grabbed my face through the bars. I did not think I was standing very close to the small window that looks into her mews from the workroom, and she came out of nowhere. She grabbed the side of my face and my right eye. She only grazed my face, but I have a nice gash on my eyelid and it hurts like hell. Here is a picture of her handy work.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_1668Small.jpg

everetkhorton
10-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I came back home Wednesday afternoon after flying Makya. I did not fly her yesterday or today because I have been too busy, plus she flew for 7 days in a row, so I was feeding her up a little and letting her get some rest with the intention of flying her again tomorrow. I went out to the mews to weight her; she was at 1200g. I put her back in the mews and was in the work room area looking at a possible place for a food shoot when Makya grabbed my face through the bars. I did not think I was standing very close to the small window that looks into her mews from the workroom, and she came out of nowhere. She grabbed the side of my face and my right eye. She only grazed my face, but I have a nice gash on my eyelid and it hurts like hell. Here is a picture of her handy work.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k6/brandi7777/Makya/IMG_1668Small.jpg

Brandi

Dam, that is to close. It only takes a second. I am glad it was not worse.
You just never know.

Falcon Boy
10-20-2007, 01:47 AM
And you put up with this [smilie=bs.gif] why?

Eagle Owl
10-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Because it is my fault she got me. The first time it involved food. This time...I guess I was just too close to the mews. I did feed her in the mews on Thursday, but she did not see me throw it in. I had just weighed her to see how much food to give her so she would be ready to fly today, so I am guessing she wanted her food. She is a real smart bird and picks up on things very quickly. I am not going to be feeding her in the mews any more...will have to find an alternate place to feed her.

I am not going to just give up on her just because she gets me a few times. She is a great game hawk and I am hoping this will stop once we get in a hunting routine. If not, then she is gone.

Another thing I have to look at is that this is my second year apprenticeship. Here in Texas our regs state that you have to FLY a bird for 4 consecutive months of each of your 2 consecutive years as an apprentice. So if I let her go, I would have to have to FLY the other bird at least 4 months. If that bird died or something before the 4 months, then I would have to repeat my apprenticeship for 2 more years.

We also now have 1 year apprentice permits, so we have to pay the $100 federal permit fee every year. That gets expensive after a few years. So I am trying to get through this season with Makya. I don't want to give up on her yet!!!!

Eagle Owl
10-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I took her out this evening for some exercise and hopefully let her take out some of her aggression! We went out about 6:30 pm and her weight was 1150g (40.6 oz). It was a little lower than I wanted, but it was too windy to fly her any earlier. I don't kick up many rabbits when I hawk at my parent's ranch...just too much land to cover and with just me flushing, it makes it tough to flush bunnies. But I still hawk here just to give my bird some exercise. So when I took Makya out, I didn't expect her to get anything. I take her out of the giant hood, and she just refuses to leave the fist. So I walked around for a bit trying to flush something in 4 foot high grasses. I walked close to one of our small tank and frogs went jumping everywhere. About 5 steps later, Makya bolted off the fist and slammed into the ground about 10 feet on the other side of the tank (the tank is only about 35 feet across). She started mantling, so I went over to see what she had...she had taken a large frog. She was trying to swallow it whole and had the two back legs sticking out of her beak...I wish I had a camera, cause it was a funny sight! Makya finally realized that she would have to tear the frog to get it gown, and she ate the whole thing.

I got her back up on the fist and off we went again. After a few more minutes on the fist, she decided to take a perch in a tall tree. I walked around for about 30 more minutes, with Makya following very close behind at all times, and she even flew ahead of me a couple of times. I didn't kick anything up, but she got to fly and have a nice dinner on the lure. Not a bad outing [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

sharptail
10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
Brandi, sorry you got grabbed! It sounds like she could have the makings of a nice Hawk in the long haul.

Eagle Owl
10-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks Jeff,

I think she does, too. She was trapped in an area where I had seen 4 passage birds flying around in a field together earlier in the day. I think she was one of those 4 birds. If so, she really had to fight for her food. She has mantled like crazy from day one...she even mantles on the glove. I just think she is so used to fighting for food, space, etc. that she is aggressive about her food and her space. Both times I was grabbed, I invaded her space. I think I can turn this aggression around. At least I am gonna try!

Jimmy
10-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I did not think I was standing very close to the small window.......

Their legs are longer than they look......

My breeding HH have got me a few times when I thought I wasn't very close.

Eagle Owl
10-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Their legs are longer than they look......

[smilie=eusa_doh.gif] Apparently. I won't make that mistake again :)

Jimmy
10-20-2007, 11:06 PM
I won't make that mistake again

I said that too....... 2 or 3 times [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

sharptail
10-22-2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks Jeff,

I think she does, too. She was trapped in an area where I had seen 4 passage birds flying around in a field together earlier in the day. I think she was one of those 4 birds. If so, she really had to fight for her food. She has mantled like crazy from day one...she even mantles on the glove. I just think she is so used to fighting for food, space, etc. that she is aggressive about her food and her space. Both times I was grabbed, I invaded her space. I think I can turn this aggression around. At least I am gonna try!

When I was much younger and was into trapping and flying Pass. Rts a friend trapped 1 that attacked every other red that she could and caught several and killed a few before my friend could arrive. This was a Passager that he trapped in S. California, in the early 1970's. She would just fly up to them and grab them in the head. It made no difference if they were perched or flying, she would attack on sight. I saw a few get grabbed and it seemed as if the victims didn't think she would really bind. 1 raised its crown and spread its wings in an attempt to flee but was too late, they both went crashing to the ground.

Eagle Owl
10-22-2007, 03:03 PM
My last RT would run off other RTs when we were out hawking. She never bound to any, but did knock a few off their perches then chase them until she was satisfied they were out of her way. She didn't care if they were passage or hags.

sharptail
10-23-2007, 02:35 AM
In her fourth season my pass. Gyr started attacking Golden Eagles and would run them off. She knocked them off poles and sent feathers flying, and then sashay back and forth on the wind screeming at them until they left, or sometimes they would chase her.

Eagle Owl
10-23-2007, 10:07 AM
These birds can be real dumb sometimes [smilie=eusa_doh.gif] But ya gotta love em!

Eagle Owl
10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Just an update on Makya. I headed to Fort Worth on Tuesday because some freinds from the UK were coming in to town to do some hawking with the TODs. Well, they didn’t make it…but that is a different story!!! Kylie, Belle, and I went to fly Makya about 3:30pm. She was way low in weight…1145g (40.4 oz). I unhooked her and this time she went to a perch very quickly. We beat the brush for at least 30 minutes without a single bunny flush. Makya went down a couple of times, but they weren’t bunny flights…more like grasshopper, mouse, or rat flights. We walked across the road to another area and started flushing. We finally flushed a bunny about 10 minutes later. She nailed it! It wasn’t a long flight…she was on a telephone pole and it was basically a straight flight to the bunny. I traded her off to a large chunk of meat and when she was done, she jumped to the fist. When she jumps on the fist, she always has her crest raised and is mantling, so I can’t see her jesses to grab a hold of her. Well, this time she decided to latch onto my face. She scratched the left side of my face and latched onto my ear. I grabbed her and threw her off of me…she then jumped right back at me from the ground. Again, I knocked her to the ground. She just sat there looking at me. Kylie, Belle and I just walked away from her. She sat on the ground for a few minutes, roused, then flew back to a perch and began hunting. She was perfectly fine the rest of the outing. We walked back to the truck, which took about 10 more minutes. We did not see anything on the way back, so I called her to the lure and fed her up. She was fine jumping to the fist and allowed me to clip her jesses without incident.

Before you all start telling me to release this bird…DON’T!!! First of all, there are several reasons why I don’t want to release this bird and trap another…the biggest having to do with the fact that I am an apprentice and if I release her, there is a chance I could be an apprentice 2 more years if I don’t get in all my flying time with my next bird. I am only allowed to replace one bird and I have to FLY the same bird for 4 consecutive months for 2 consecutive years. If I get another bird and it dies, flies away, gets injured and can’t fly, etc. before my 4 months, I would have to do 2 more years as an apprentice.

Also, I would like to try and figure out this bird and why she is the way she is. I am stubborn and this is a challenge. This bird is an awesome game hawk and if I can just figure this out, she will be a blast to fly.

So, I have spoken with several people to come up with a game plan to stop me from getting my ass kicked by my bird. It was explained to me like this. When Makya gets food, whether on the lure, fist, or is on a kill, her adrenaline is pumping. She always has her crest raised for a while after she eats…even if I crop her up. Also, just like in people, it takes a while for the brain to register that she has actually eaten. She still thinks that she is starving, so she is coming at me for more food. What I will try is this…when she is on a kill, I will leash her up and let her sit for however long it takes for her to calm down a little and start plucking. I will then trade her off to her full meal or a large chunk if I will be going for multiples. (She has always transferred off a kill just fine) When I call her to the fist, she will be leashed, so I will have control pf her and can keep her from attacking me. Then I will immediately hood her. After she settles down and rouses, I will walk a little further down the filed, unhood her and she should be “reset” and good to go again.

I tried this yesterday. Our UK buddies finally made it up to Fort Worth. They went out with us to fly Makya and they stayed far away from her [smilie=dontknow.gif] She was at 1170g (41.3 oz) which was much better than the day before. We went to a filed that she does really well in and has plenty of bunnies. It was real windy (20 mph gusts), but she did great. She took high perches on top of a tall building and had several flights, missing them all. After 25 minutes in the field, she had a bunny. It was a long flight and she had a cool wingover!!! I just love those wingovers and crashes. Nothing beats the way a RT crashes its prey! So Kylie hooked her up to her leash and we waited until she began plucking to trade her off. I had planned on not flying today, so when I traded her off, I let her gorge on a squirrel. She ate everything but the shin and head. Her crop was freaking huge. Kylie threw her the organs from the bunny she had just caught and she barely got them down. As soon as she jumped to the fist, her crest was still raised, but I had her jesses, so she wasn’t going anywhere. I hooded her and walked back to the truck. After she roused, I took off her hood and she was calm and I could touch her without her getting mad.

When we got back to the house, 4 hours later, she weighed 1410g (49.7 oz). At 9am today, she had put her crop over and was down to 1305g (46 oz). I had to actually feed her around 4:30pm because she was already down to 1235g (43.6 oz) and I want to fly her tomorrow around 1180g or 1190g.

I really think that this method will work. But I would also like some suggestions on other things I can try in case this doesn’t work. I think one of her problems is that she was trapped in an area with 3 other passage birds and 3 hags hanging around. She also appears to be a late hatch because the white band on her tail is still in very good shape. She was pretty thin and I did not have to take too much weight off her. So she is used to having to fight for food and it is like she is an imprint. So any suggestions you have for me will be greatly appreciated!

robhawkyyz
10-25-2007, 09:06 PM
First of all i won't tell you to get rid of this bird, it sounds like it hunts good like my last SOB i flew. halloween is around the corner and a hockey mask wont be so weird... HAHAHA!!! but on a serious note protect your face at all times, be prepared for anything . the only suggestion i have is to get the bird under control before it can bully you... either grab them jesses or clip a leash on and when you are ready, make in with authority.

Eagle Owl
10-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks Rob. I really think I can turn her around. Falconry is learning and that is what I am doing with this bird! But, that being said, I don't want any more scars on my face, either. I am ugly enough without 'em [smilie=smileys13.gif] Hopefully this will work!!!

sharptail
10-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Brandi,

I never thought you should have released her. I thought about what you wrote. It seems to me that you guys have your act together. So sorry you got grabbed again. I think you have great advice and support and some REAL friends to help you like they do, both with what they do and how they think.

I still think this will turn out to be one great falconry bird in the long haul. She is very agressive, just what you want in a falconry bird. I think that the problem of her attacking you will solve it's self as she learns to trust you. I am sorry that her weight needs to be dropped so low to keep her on task, it makes things difficult but is obviously necessary at this point. It takes some sand to carry on with with a big hawk that attacks you, you have my respect.

Eagle Owl
10-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Brandi,

I never thought you should have released her. I thought about what you wrote. It seems to me that you guys have your act together. So sorry you got grabbed again. I think you have great advice and support and some REAL friends to help you like they do, both with what they do and how they think.

I still think this will turn out to be one great falconry bird in the long haul. She is very aggressive, just what you want in a falconry bird. I think that the problem of her attacking you will solve it's self as she learns to trust you. I am sorry that her weight needs to be dropped so low to keep her on task, it makes things difficult but is obviously necessary at this point. It takes some sand to carry on with with a big hawk that attacks you, you have my respect.

Thanks, Jeff. I do have some really great friends!!! There is no way I could have taken a bird right now without them to help me. Today I was really hurting and barely walking, so my friend Krys did most of the work with her. He actually transferred her off a kill by himself and it went perfectly. Since he was on the ground with her, he could reach right in and grab a hold of the jesses so when she was done with her transfer piece, she had nowhere to go but his glove.

I am really glad I have stuck with it, too. I think she will eventually come around. She is a bunny slaying beast and I love that about her!!! You can read about her exploits this weekend below!

Eagle Owl
10-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Fantastic Weekend!!!

Friday, October 26 – weight 1180g (41.6 oz)…I picked Belle up from school at 3pm and we met up with Michael Beran to go out hawking. Krys, Kylie, Anthony and Jen were at Cabela’s, so we headed to my favorite place to fly Makya…the Del Monte filed with a real tall building. She had 5 really good flights, but ended up getting caught up in the tall brush and missed. She also lost a jess somewhere. About 35 minutes into the filed, Makya had a fairly short flight on a bunny and got this one! Michael helped me with the transfer and all went really well. I hooded her immediately after she jumped on the fist and waited for her to rouse. We walked about 20 feet away from the spot where she caught her bunny and I unhooded her. She was preoccupied with looking on the ground for her bunny, so I put the hood back on and waited for another rouse. This time when I took the hood off, she was ready to go.

She headed back to the top of the building and a few minutes later, she had a fantastic flight. She took off the building and was in a glide heading toward the ground. She then pulled up and started hovering. After a wingover and a teardrop down to the ground, she came up empty handed, but it was one heck of a flight!!!! We hawked for about 10 more minutes then the rest of the group showed up. Makya had one more flight, and then I called her in to the lure. I tried to manage this myself but only got one jess hooked up. When Makya tried to jump to the fist, the leash got stuck on a weed. Instead of landing on my glove, she landed on my arm and I have a nice scratch and bruise from it. She was not trying to go for my face; she just landed in the wrong place. I then hooded her and we went to fly Michael’s birds.

Saturday, October 27 – weight 1185g (41.8 oz) 11am…This was the TOD Halloween Mini-meet, so we had lots of brush beaters today! I took Makya to some RR tracks this outing. She immediately went up on a telephone pole. She moved up a pole after a minute, then to a second pole after another minute. About 3 minutes into the field, she had her first bunny! It was a pretty cool flight, too. She was heading straight for the rabbit when it tuned and Makya had to bank to the left and then slammed it! Kylie and I transferred her off, but Kylie ended up getting Makya off the ground and she had on a short glove, so Makya gave Kylie another war wound. We let her reset and she was again ready to go. She went back up on the same telephone pole and before we could get to the brush, she was down on another bunny! This bird is just freaking amazing!!!!! I put her up after that so we could fly some other birds, but I wanted to fly her again at eh end of the day.

Right before dark, we went back to the Del Monte field (with the big building) and this time started at the opposite end. She got right up on the building and had a flight pretty quick. She missed, but jumped right back up and landed on a RR car. Another bunny flushed, but ran into a culvert before she could get it. Makya landed in front of the opening, then jumped on the culvert. I tried to get Makya on the fist so we could reflush the bunny, but it busted out with Makya right after it. The bunny again eluded her, but it was a good chase. She has a system now after a miss. She lands on a RR car and sits there until she rouses, then flies almost straight up and gets on top of the building. She will do this almost every time she misses. We kept beating and Makya had another good flight and caught her another bunny! Kylie was car hawking with Krys, so Michael again helped me with Makya. Since we had only been out in the field 10 minutes and we had a long walk back to the vehicles, I wanted to put Makya back up and fly her out of the field. I flushed a bunny pretty far away from her and she just watched it run. Oh well…that was the first time she had ever done that. We continued to walk back to the vehicles when the next thing I know, she is flying off in the opposite direction!!!! She is chasing a bunny down the RR tracks that run along the building. She had a very long flight that ended with another bunny in the bag!!!! That makes 4 for the day!!!!

Sunday, October 28 – 1175g (41.4 oz) 11am…Another wonderful hawking day! Took Makya out to a filed she hadn’t flown yet. She took a high perch and we began beating the brush. She had one flight on something, but we never saw what it was. She flew back to the top of a building and we kept flushing. The cover was real thick, but Krys flushed a bunny for her and she chased. She began hovering, then flew back on top pf the building. Krys managed to reflush the bunny and this time Makya didn’t let it out of her sight! Krys did the transfer and hooding with her, and it went perfectly! We let her reset and then put her back up. She had a couple of good flights, but nothing else in the bag. Krys called her to the lure and we were off to fly other birds.

Makya did really well this weekend. I think things will be a lot easier once my darn knees are fixed and I can get down on kills and transfer her myself. Krys made it look effortless!!! 15 more hours and I will get a new knee!!!! I think this method of leashing her up on the kill so she can’t grab me and letting her “reset” is going to be the answer to her aggression. Hopefully after some time, that will subside. If not…this works!!! I am glad that I did not release her as was suggested by MANY! But, time will tell. I may change my mind next time she gets me!!!

Head count: 18...17 bunnies, 1 fox squirrel

sharptail
10-29-2007, 02:31 AM
That is great, pray for a smooth and quick recovery on you knee, I will if you will! What did you do to wreck your knee?

kimmerar
10-29-2007, 02:35 AM
That's awesome Brandi !! [smilie=icon_pray.gif] What a bird and you've done great. Most people would have turned her loose. Pictures!!!! Micheal posted some great pictures on our website. Neo has come a long way - he's a great falconer.

Hope the surgury goes well for you. Sounds like your bird will be well fed during the recovery.

chamokane
10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
They're pretty good at fixing knees. I have one that used to drop me on the ground at all the wrong times. They fixed it about 25 years ago and it's been great ever since. Good Luck.

Eagle Owl
10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone! I am very excited to finally get at least one fixed!!!

I hurt my knees over 2 years ago. I was working as a vet tech at the SPCA of Texas and me and another vet tech were trying to euthanize a 120lb lab that was 12 years old. Long story short, the dog was agitated and being aggressive and I was trying to restrain him for 20 minutes while on my knees. They banged the concrete and it tore all the cartilage in both knees and splintered some bone in the right knee. I informed my manager that evening when I got home from work...had 3 days off and went to the Dr. When I returned to work for my next shift, I informed my manager that it was serious and the Dr. wanted to do surgery. They fired me 7 hours later for a bunch of stupid reasons. I couldn't sue them for firing me...we are an "at will" state, but I did have to fight them for 7 months through the worker's comp system to get them to pay for my knees to be fixed.

sharptail
10-29-2007, 01:34 PM
That was low of the SPCA to drop you like that, I expect more, from something that has 'prevention of cruelty' in its title. That Red Tail will give you something to pull you through this, it will be over before you know it and back in the field!

wesleyc6
10-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Things are looking up with the bird. I pray the knees go well!

everetkhorton
10-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Brandi:
Just trying to catch up on all the post on the fourm. Good luck with your knee, I hope all goes well.
Fred:
Keep looking.
To all the others that have caught game I hope you do as good tomorrow.
Tony Hawk has not taken any more sqr. She took off today in about a 30 mph wind. Good point, she flew into the wind. I got her back about 6 blocks away in the woods. Just holding on.

Eagle Owl
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi all, just an update on Makya. A couple of fellow falconers (Krys and Kylie) have been taking care of her while I had surgery and am recouping. Last night Kylie had to rush her to the emergency vet clinic where Krys works. She was open mouth breathing very heavily. She has had a battery of tests and been seen by two separate vets and they both agree that she has Asper. She was immediately started on treatment, but her prognosis is not good. They have sent off for an Asper test to verify the diagnosis, but the results will not be in until the end of the week or beginning of next week.

Krys is taking good care of her, but I do not have high hopes for her recovery. While I do not have the bond with Makya that I had with Harley, she is a special bird. She has been such a pain in the ass with her aggression and has on occasion, literally kicked my ass! I thought I had finally figured out her aggression and how to control it, and was looking forward to slaying jacks at NAFA. She is one of the best game hawks I have seen!

I will keep y'all up to date on how she is doing.

kimmerar
11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
So sorry Brandi!!! You did great with her. Maybe it's something else. Have they started treating her for asper??

everetkhorton
11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Brandi:
Sorry to hear about Makya. You just feel so hopeless some time. There are so many highs and low in falconry. I hope all turns out well. I can always use another set of eye's at the NAFA meet.

Eagle Owl
11-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys. Yes Kim, they started treating her for asper within the first hour that they had her. All of her blood work is fine. White cells good, not anemic, did another fecal, etc. With 2 separate vets from 2 separate vet clinics saying Asper, then I am convinced. As a past rehabber, I know that there is always the possibility of it not being Asper, but I do not want to get my hopes up. I also know the effects of Asper and that most do not survive. I have already decided that if she has not made some improvement by the weekend, I will more than likely have her put down. Treatment for Asper can drag on and on, and I do not want Makya to suffer. If that is the case, I will be out trapping again soon. This is the perfect time for me to man another bird.

And Ev, I would be happy to be an extra pair of eyes for ya, but I may not be moving very fast yet!

everetkhorton
11-08-2007, 01:03 AM
Brandi:
That is not a problem. You have to remember who you are hunting with. We are out to have fun not run a race unless it is to a cold one or two. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Grahame
11-08-2007, 01:21 AM
So sorry to hear about Makya.

Fingers are crossed for you and her.

Eagle Owl
11-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Thanks Grahame. As has been said by local falconer who tried to take care of her for me, but she attached him, so gave her to the falconers that have her now..."If that bitch of a bird could fend off the local falconers, she will fend off the nasty Asper too!!!!..........All hail the nasty bitch!!!"

He is right...if any bird will beat Asper, it is her. She is just too darn mean to let Asper get the best of her!!!

wilded
11-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Hang in there Brandi. Sometimes you feel like [smilie=BangHead.gif] ET

Eagle Owl
11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks Ed.

I just talked with Krys and he said that Makya is about the same. She is eating on her own, which is good, and has not gotten any worse, which is also very good. Krys said that more RTs survive Asper than any other bird, so I think her chances are a bit better than most. As Noel said...she will scare off that Asper!!!!

Eagle Owl
11-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, it just seems to get worse...Thursday night my foot had swollen so big that you could barely see my toes and it was turning black. About 6:30am Friday I called the doctor's office and they called him at home and woke him up. He scheduled me for a cardiac imagery ultrasound of my right leg. They found a blood clot and I was immediately admitted to the hospital. They have been giving me shots in my stomach to get my blood thin so that the clot won't pose a threat when/if it breaks loose.

I hope to be out of here tomorrow, but I have lost 3 days of knee rehab, so I can barely walk and am basically back at the beginning as far as rehab goes.

I still plan on going to NAFA, but I will be very limited on my activities. I will also have to get my blood levels checked at least once while I am there.

On a good note, Makya is doing better. She is gaining weight and was preening yesterday. It looks like she will pull through, but she still has a long way to go for full recovery.

We are both tough, so we will both be back hawking before ya know it!!!

wesleyc6
11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow Brandi, you have been through the wringer! I am so sorry to hear about all that you are going through. I am glad they caught your clot! There are worse alternatives for sure to them catching it. You will be up and going before you know it I hope!

robhawkyyz
11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
You need to get yourself better, we need you to help flush rabbits. LOL you and your bird can tough out the hard times together with your good friends... hope it all goes good!!!

Eagle Owl
11-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Thanks Rob and Wes,

It has definitely been a crappy 2 weeks. I am just glad Makya is doing better...I feel so guilty that I am not with her, but I trust Krys explicitly with her and I know Krys and Kylie are going above and beyond to try and get her better!!!!

I will get better soon...but I will be on blood thinners for a minimum of 3 months, so I will have to take it easy and make sure I don't injure myself.

everetkhorton
11-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Brandi:
Sorry to hear about you leg. I know you were hoping to get going right a
way. There are lots of thing to do at the other than hunt. Make sure
there is a wheel chair at the meet or there maybe a place you can get one
to use while there. You have to take care of yourself and most likely
stay off your feet some of the day. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

wilded
11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Hang in there kid. Best wishes from Ed and Joe. [smilie=banana.gif]

chamokane
11-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Brandi,

It sounds like you and Makya are both getting your bad luck out of the way all at one time. When you are both back on the wing, someone is going to owe you a long stretch of good times. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

wilded
11-11-2007, 11:07 PM
We will handle that at the THA meet in January! [smilie=banana.gif]

Eagle Owl
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys! I am definitely having a long stretch of bad luck...seems to be going on for a couple of years now [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

Eagle Owl
11-13-2007, 10:47 PM
I just wanted to let y'all know that I came home from the hospital this evening. I got the OK from the docs to go to NAFA, but I have to be very careful and not overdo it. I also have to be careful about not hurting myself for the next 3 months as I will be on blood thinners at least that long. They did another ultrasound yesterday and found another blood clot near my ankle. Apparently I am very susceptible to clots and will have to go on blood thinners after all future surgeries :(

Oh well...I am home and that is all that matters!!!!!!!

chamokane
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Being in your own home sure feels good after a stay in the hospital. Good luck.

wilded
11-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery. ET [smilie=eusa_pray.gif]

everetkhorton
11-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Brandi:
Glad to hear you got the ok for the doc. See you in Alamosa I will be leaving in a couple hours. Have a safe trip. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

Eagle Owl
11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys!!! It was so nice to sleep in my own bed last night!!!!!!! But I have a million things to do before we leave for NAFA.

falconer_39
02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Brandi

Dam, that is to close. It only takes a second. I am glad it was not worse.
You just never know.
you got lucky on that i have been graged in the face two time the first time was a big female redtail she thought my moustache was a mouse her hind talon went in my mouth thru the roof of my mouth
and the second time was a male hh he got me good in the eye ripped a hole in my eye ball and cut alot of those little blood vains had a bad blood shot eye for a couple of months