PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Trapping Pics

zx2run
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM
We first spotted him soring above an industrial park area. Through the binoculars we saw that it was a passage bird.

As we were watching to see where it would go...it dropped into a stoop and disappeared behind a building. We drove around looking for it and eventually spotted it in a dead tree about 50 yards away and only about 20 ft off the ground. We walked the trap out and walked back to the vehicle and drove slowly away. We watched for a few minutes at a distance and realized that the bird didn't really have a direct line of sight to the trap. So we decided to go back to the trap and carry it closer and to an area more visible to him.

We walk the trap out again and as soon as the trap hit the ground the bird was on his way. He hit the trap before we were half way back to the car. He danced around on the trap and it was quickly clear that we had him...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/trapping011.jpg

Male Passage Redtail

Off the trap he weighed 985g.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/trapping020.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/trapping009.jpg

We took a few pictures and sent him on his way. We were on the look-out for something a little bigger...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/trapping012.jpg

zx2run
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
We also pretty good luck on the search for Kestrels.

The first bird of the day was a group of two Kestrels on the edge of an orchard. The trap was dropped and the male and female were clearly interested in the BC.
The female was the first to make a move. She would stoop the trap and then hover. Land next to it the run in circles around the trap trying to scatter the mice. At one point she was on a wire directly over the trap and a group of crows came and harassed her. One crow even landed right next to her...but she didn't budge. Eventually the crows left and the male had a half hearted attempt at the trap but quickly lost interest.

The female then showed a little more commitment and landed directly on the trap. She was snagged and we rushed to the trap.

It turns out she was a haggard female and she was banded. She weighed 135g off the trap. She was kept for a few pics and then released...

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm92/zx2un/trapping004.jpg

I am still trying to get more info about the bird from the band number...but i haven't heard back yet from the Bird Band Office in DC.

hawkstir
09-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a good time trapping. I had a first today. I had a small hawk dancing on the BC with a couple more hang soaring over top when a bald eagle showed up and chased them off. They all soared up and waited for the eagle to leave but wouldn't come down again. I'm going back tommoro with the bow net. I'll try to remember my camera.

zx2run
09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Wow...thats pretty cool...but too bad they didn't come back down to the trap.

What are you after for this season?

Definitely take some pics!!

IndianFalconer
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
Very nice , lovely lookin RT though. Glad to see that in US , u ppl can trap yr birds.

Here in India we always trap our Passage & Haggard birds, Hunt with them for a season then release them back in da wild. If a bird is extraordinary ( specially the size ) Size does matter here, then keep them for few seasons.

FredFogg
09-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Very nice , lovely lookin RT though. Glad to see that in US , u ppl can trap yr birds.

Here in India we always trap our Passage & Haggard birds, Hunt with them for a season then release them back in da wild. If a bird is extraordinary ( specially the size ) Size does matter here, then keep them for few seasons.

Hey Karan, do you see a major difference in flying a passage bird versus a haggard bird? We can only trap passage birds here and I know a lot of falconers that would love to fly a haggard.

tking308
09-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Jessica,
What bait were you using in the BC for the Kestrel? I have had ZERO luck with sparrows. I've had 4 different birds sit above the trap for more than 10 minutes without even budging.frus)

FredFogg
09-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Jessica,

What bait were you using in the BC for the Kestrel? I have had ZERO luck with sparrows. I've had 4 different birds sit above the trap for more than 10 minutes without even budging.frus)

Todd, personally, if a kestrel won't come down to a trap with sparrows in it, I wouldn't want it. I imagine your situation was due to the heat and possibly the birds being hog fat. What time of the day was it? Early mornings have always been the best time for me. I have had my best luck trapping kestrels with sparrows but I am sure a small mouse or even a young gerbil will work but they seem not to be able to resist a sparrow.

hawkstir
09-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Wow...thats pretty cool...but too bad they didn't come back down to the trap.

What are you after for this season?

Definitely take some pics!!

Nothing in particular. I've got Aki in the mews, so I just go out for the fun of it.

IndianFalconer
09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Fred,

It depends on bird to bird, sometimes passage birds r better then haggards & sometimes haggards r better then passage.

Having matured in the wild & learned wary to people, haggards r hard to train but they r experienced hunters.

If haggard bird is hunting a perticular querry in da wild & you wnt to enter her some other querry then it is littel hard to train haggard birds specially if they have been got a hard lesson from that perticular querry. Where as you can train yr passage bird on whatever querry you want to hunt with little efforts.

I have flown many passage birds which were better then haggard ones then again have flown many haggard birds which were excellenthunters & better then passage ones.

So it all depends on birds how they react and hunt.

Takasho
09-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Jessica,

I'm not Jessica but I hope you don't mind me chiming in, check my recent thread about trapping adventures. 5 kestrels in 4 hours, all with the same mouse. Simple stuff. The first female kestrel I had a couple years ago I caught using two sparrows in a BC. She was a great bird but the male I had last year was caught using a mouse and he actually caught more sparrows and starlings than the female did. I really don't think it matters what bait you use to catch them in regards to what they'll chase later, but maybe I've just been lucky...

FredFogg
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
I really don't think it matters what bait you use to catch them in regards to what they'll chase later, but maybe I've just been lucky...

Or maybe your just a darn good falconer! toungeout :D

zx2run
09-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Jessica,

This year I used 2 mice in the BC. This female and the passage male kestrel I kept both went for the trap. Last year we also had success with a mouse and sparrow in the same BC.

Also...if you have the time....wait the bird out...it might take 15 minutes before it fully commits. The male took about 20 minutes before he came down....but some of that time was waiting for him to finish the meal he already had.:D

james morrisontoxic2
11-21-2010, 11:54 AM
fantastic birds mate,wish we could trap birds in the uk