PDA

View Full Version : Images from the trip last week to Abu Dhabi

RLBagley
09-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Some of you may wonder what it's like to travel to the United Arab Emirates and the annual Hunting Exhibition held there each fall. Well, we just uploaded a bunch of pics so you could get an idea.

Marshall Radio attended this event where we introduced a new Transmitter model and did some comparative tests out in the desert using the RT Standard as well as those from some from other companies.

We were also invited out to a the Falcon Training camps where they are getting birds in shape for hunting trips outside the country in a few more weeks.

You can find the new gallery of images on our FaceBook page by clicking on this link (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=237098&id=95847325664&ref=mf).

Enjoy,
RB

Takasho
09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Those are awesome photographs Robert! What a trip! You are a lucky, lucky man.

RLBagley
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Those are awesome photographs Robert! What a trip! You are a lucky, lucky man.

Thanks for noticing.

And, I remind myself of this all the time (at least when we get things right).

But what a great thing to be able to interact with other enthusiastic friends around the globe, in a way that transcends politics and religion where we simply share the same passions for the birds.

RB

Joby
09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I've always said that in many ways, Falconry is like our common "religion"

latham
09-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you for posting. Fascinating, beautiful photos with undoubtedly a story behind each one. Bob

RLBagley
09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Here was a fun report on the Event in a local paper The National (http://thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100926/NATIONAL/100929702/1139), where you can read a fun commentary from an Arab Customer about his falcons (that most will readily identify with).

Sometimes, when there's a translation of how we feel, the description gets even better than usual.

RB

RLBagley
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xiIqXxmoqM

Desertfalcon
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Excellent pictures and video! clapp

Tom Smith
03-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Wow, great trip, wonderful photos, it is certainly no secret where the greatest transfer of wealth ever recorded in world history went. We should be proud to be a part of that.To sacrifice for a fellow falconer should be a great honor. errr

RLBagley
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow, great trip, wonderful photos, it is certainly no secret where the greatest transfer of wealth ever recorded in world history went. We should be proud to be a part of that.To sacrifice for a fellow falconer should be a great honor. errr

Well, we're just doing our patriotic duty then and bringing a little bit of that money back home?

RB

Tom Smith
03-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, we're just doing our patriotic duty then and bringing a little bit of that money back home?

RB

To little, to late.

RLBagley
03-16-2011, 12:14 AM
To little, to late.

You have a point when looking at the economic teeter totter in its entirety, but I do have to go on record and say that when it comes to progress made in radio telemetry over the last 15 years, we must thank the Gulf Falconers who have embraced telemetry in such a big way and supported its rapid progress.

Although telemetry on raptors was pioneered in the US (Bob Berry the first to put a transmitter on his gyrfalcon), it was the Gulf Falconer who was willing to pay for the new ideas, helping to then fund R&D so to speak, to take it to new levels in terms of the power and quality of design we enjoy nowadays.

Just a thought on this, from someone who has witnessed it firsthand.

RB

Tom Smith
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
You have a point when looking at the economic teeter totter in its entirety, but I do have to go on record and say that when it comes to progress made in radio telemetry over the last 15 years, we must thank the Gulf Falconers who have embraced telemetry in such a big way and supported its rapid progress.

Although telemetry on raptors was pioneered in the US (Bob Berry the first to put a transmitter on his gyrfalcon), it was the Gulf Falconer who was willing to pay for the new ideas, helping to then fund R&D so to speak, to take it to new levels in terms of the power and quality of design we enjoy nowadays.

Just a thought on this, from someone who has witnessed it firsthand.

RB

Don't get me wrong I envy them and wished I was was in their pipeline. It is a wonderful thing to have that kind of wealth and opulence. They can fund your R&D, buy $50,000 diamond studded hoods from Italy, and any bird they want. We sent them the money, they should enjoy it, I would actually feel bad if they didn't.

I quit when my hawking fuel went to over 500 a month, and to continue my form of hawking it would have gone to about 750 a month. All the money I was spending for gas could have gone to buy some of your telemetry equipment I have heard so many good things about.

Anyway they are projecting that they will run out of oil about 2016 in that area, so maybe you can recoup some of our money before that happens, in the name of patriotic duty of course.

I have friends that were working there (from the 70's) and introduced them to many of the things that we were enjoying in falconry so I'm not exactly a stranger to the process of events and our role in their falconry as it is today.

everetkhorton
03-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Very good video. I noticed a couple of things, one of the falconer was using a glove, the speed in the SUV had to go to keep up with the falcon. At the end of the video, it looked like a falconer was tieing something to the toe of a falcon on the perch.

RLBagley
10-10-2011, 05:13 PM
We added a few more images from this year's Trip to the UAE (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150324089660665.343836.95847325664&type=1), with Peter Bergh, who now heads up the "Marshall GCC Office" there in Dubai.

Looks like there'll be a lot of people attending the Falconry Festival there in December of this year.

RB