PDA

View Full Version : HELLO FROM FLORIDA/MISSOURI

REDTAIL505
09-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Hi all Im Kate from Florida/ Missouri. Live in Fla now but heading out to my farm in Missouri in June to stay full time and finally get to try and live dream of flying-hunting hawks. Tested in March in Missouri and passed. Joined all clubs and have attended Apprentice workshop here in Florida that was awsome. I am 50 and have lived in Fl Keys for 23 years. No hiunting allowed of any kind down here. We have thousands of birds flying through on migration though and it is a site to behold. Mews being built in Missouri now and just cant wait to start. Life is good

Jimmy
09-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Good to have ya, Kate. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

everetkhorton
09-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Kate:
Welcome to the site. It be a litle different in MO in the winter. I have been to the keys a couple of time, Big Pine Key. Great fishing, but the wind blowes a lot. Lot of good people on this site, (don't let them know that) Right off the bate why don't you go into the profile and have your name posted automaticly. An avator is nice with where you are from. There are not almost 400 people on this site and some times it is hard to keep track of who is who and where they are from. Welcome again,post often and have fun.

chamokane
09-28-2007, 01:18 AM
Hi, Kate.
I hope you enjoy falconry as much as I have. Do you have rabbits around your farm.

REDTAIL505
10-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes Ive got 43 acres and lots rabbits and quail. Surrounded by other farms so hope to make some good contacts with my neighbors so I can hunt on their property when the time comes. Also Cover Prairie just south of me. Am doing improvements to my property now to get it back to being the best wilflife habitat it can be. I have some good savanna that I will seed this fall with native forbs and grasses. Burned last fall

Katie

chamokane
10-09-2007, 11:51 PM
It sounds like you have a good setup, enjoy.

KidK
10-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes Ive got 43 acres and lots rabbits and quail. Surrounded by other farms so hope to make some good contacts with my neighbors so I can hunt on their property when the time comes. Also Cover Prairie just south of me. Am doing improvements to my property now to get it back to being the best wilflife habitat it can be. I have some good savanna that I will seed this fall with native forbs and grasses. Burned last fall

Katie

Katie,

All I can say is WOW! Will you adopt me? Cause where you are headed sounds like heaven to me!

I have done some work in the past for habitat improvement, specifically hoping to be able to keep coveys of quail in place through the winter here in Michigan, but had no luck. I did some plantings, food plots, burns, brush piles from trimmings from the apple orchard, etc and did improve the habitat for many other species, just couldn't keep the quail through the winter. Too much snow and predatiors.

The rabbit and pheasants all benifited from this work and I really enjoyed doing it. They are fun to hawk, but I really like hawking quail.

Sounds like you will have a great place!

RTJim
10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the list.............jm

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s175/nafex_2007/IMG_6305.jpg

paganlove22
10-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Where did you go for the apprentice workshop in Florida?

MikeT307
10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
The workshop was in Melbourne Beach, FL. It was on Sept 15th put on by http://www.floridafalconry.com/

REDTAIL505
10-30-2007, 09:29 AM
It was a great workshop! Learned a whole lot and great to meet other falconers. Florida has a great group of people who are helpful and love the sport. As a newby it was so great to meet these folks and hear the stories and thier experiences with their birds. Hope Florida Falconers Assn has their own meet at some point and another workshop