PDA

View Full Version : new to NAFEX

joturley
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Hi/ I am starting my 11th? 12th? consecutive season. I have 3 hawks: Cruella de Ville is a 3 year old female domestic-bred HH; she's a very successful snowshoe hare hunter, and maybe the all time Queen of Gophers <G>. Georgie Girl is a juvenile passage RT, almost ready to fly free; Cecelia is a juvenile passage gos I've just started manning. Obviously I'm a sucker for punishment - but you probably guessed that because I'm also from Alberta <G>. /jo

hawkguy1
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
(welc)to NAFEX! have fun with your season.

Red-tail71
10-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow! You have your hands full! lol! Welcome to NAFEX and have a great season!! Take care!

everetkhorton
10-25-2010, 10:18 PM
(welc)jo. Those snow shoes are no push over.

joturley
10-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Guys/ Everett is right - those ss hare are no pushover! It's not that they fight like jacks, or anything like that - but they are quick, calm, camouflaged, and you have to be able to hike for miles through cover to get even one per hunt. So, when it's cold, I can't take the HH. I can hunt jacks at -14F, but she's constantly in and out of the truck warming up, chasing, warming up again. No such luxury on those ss hare hunts!!!
With the gos and RT taking up the slack, I shouldn't have to miss any otherwise good - but COLD! - hunt days this season. That's the method to my madness, anyway.
Thanks for the welcomes. /jo

sevristh
10-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Jo!

Bout damn time you made it to Nafex! Now you just need to drag Dion along with you! I missed reading about Cruella's adventures on RR.

Joby
10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Welcome Jo!! I've enjoyed you on RR, now the rest of the masses can enjoy your stories of your hunts up north. I'm always somewhat exhausted after hearing what you have to go through in the middle of winter to get a slip!!
-Joe

kitana
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Welcome Jo! I'm pleased to see you here on NAFEX, I will be able to enjoy your stories and pics now! I am this girl from Québec who planned to meet you last year but couldn't. It is still on my mind though, I will contact you the day I travel to Alberta!!

thunderheartiii
10-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX.

Roper
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
The peice of heaven tha Ive found
Rocky mountains black and fertile ground
Everything I need beneath the big blue sky
Doesnt matter where I go

This place will always be my home

yes I've been Alberta Bound
all my life
And I 'll be Alberta bound until I die.

joturley
10-26-2010, 11:57 PM
As for being late to join Nafex, I had a very bad spring & summer and just hope the winter goes decently enough to keep my mind off things; surely 3 hawks & who knows how many elusive white ghosts will help me along to that end?
Today I went duck hawking while we still have ducks - the end of our duck season is the beginning of it for some of you guys. Cruella made a good first flight & a phone-in entry the next time around...no catch yet again. I'm unlucky with ducks overall.
Hello to the Quebec Vet who hasn't visited Alberta yet - one of your hawking members was at our Field Meet and I told her to say "hi" from me when she gets back home. /jo

joturley
10-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm always somewhat exhausted after hearing what you have to go through in the middle of winter to get a slip!!
-Joe

Yeah, me too!!! and now I need slips for THREE pretty girls. I hope we don't get a lot of snow; I don't need it to track the hare - I know where they live already! and having to lift my feet in heavy snowboots is a lot of work; much prefer to just trundle along at a steady rate and not get cold and wet <G>.

canvibe
10-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Hi Jo,

Great to see you on here.

kitana
10-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes Helen told me she met you and I'm just jealous, the more she talked the more I wished I was there! She told me that you also have had 2 of my dream dogs so it just gives me more incentives to travel a little bit! :D