PDA

View Full Version : Hey, From a Newbie in Georgia

trillionairess
10-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Hey everyone,

I finally read all the old posts about what I need to know to be a great falconer, build an awesome GH and mews, etc. etc. Having enjoyed the banter and knowledge sharing and gotten to the point I don't have to look up most of the falconry terms, I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Reba and I am a 40 year old mom of 6 (5 sons and 1 daughter). I have always wanted a BOP and everytime I mentioned it, was told that it was illegal. So, I believed that meant I couldn't have one. Anyway, my husband and I are avid hunters. So, this year when we picked up the hunting regs for GA (nice picture of your daughter Jimmy [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] ) - I realized that if she could, there must be a way for me too.

So, I jumped online and haven't stopped reading and researching. I signed up on this board that evening and have been reading posts here ever since. I am studying for the test (CHC guide and Beebe & Webster) and plan on being all set up for next season.

I am amazed by all the knowledge on this board and really enjoy keeping up on it all.

I even read all the how-to section, so Ev. hopefully I got my signature on here. And the Avatar - I picked a single RT feather (not that you all wouldn't recognize what it is) to represent the start of my dream. As I make falconry a reality in my life, I will update it.

Thanks again, I feel that I know you all. Hope you don't think I was unsouthern like taking so long to say hello... [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

Falcon Boy
10-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Welcome to the boards! Sounds like your off to a good start. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif]

everetkhorton
10-05-2007, 10:33 PM
Reba:
Welcome to the site. There are a few other ladies on the site. One is also new to the sport and also has a family. I do not understand why people give ladies so much [smilie=bs.gif] about the sport. Good luck and have fun. Post often.

Jimmy
10-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Hello, Reba. Good to have you here. Don't be a lurker now that you've come out of hiding. And good luck in your quest. 6 kids?? And 5 of them boys?? Holy crap! I can't imagine trying to keep up with more than one. At least you'll have plenty of brush beaters to help flush game. Have you had a chance to see a raptor hunt?

kimmerar
10-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Welcome Reba - nice to have another lady !!! Jimmy - make sure you tell your daughter what she did being a covergirl!!

Can't wait to hear stories. Sounds like your off to a great start. My husband and daughter are with me almost every day when I'm out. My 9 year old is using cheering and is great at keeping her eye on my bird. She loves it since that is her task when we are out.

Again - welcome and good luck on the test. There are alot of good falconers by you so you shouldn't have a problem finding a good sponser.

Oh - Wes can help you with your signature if it's not working

chamokane
10-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi, Reba, Welcome. You mentioned that you and your husband are hunters. What kind of hunting do you do? I thinks it's usually easier for a hunter to become successful at falconry than for someone who just likes hawks. It gives you a head start.

trillionairess
10-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome...

Jimmy, the boys are a piece of cake. I'd have 5 more if I didn't have to work. [smilie=eusa_sick.gif] Now, my daughter at 16... I can't even imagine what another one of those would do to my heart... [smilie=icon_hang.gif] So my brood is Bob (18), Michelle (16), Nick (8), Jim (4), Daniel (3), and Josh (1.5). My husband also came with 3 - Taylor (24), Laurenn' (22), and Rochelle (18). Taylor is like my own, but I didn't want to freak anyone out by giving you all the 9 number on our first date. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] All the boys (6) live with us. Taylor and his fiance', Mariel, live in the basement (set up like an apartment). We all have dinner together 3-4 times each week. I love it. [smilie=eusa_pray.gif]

Haven't seen a raptor hunt, yet. As you all might guess, I'm a lot shy.

Kim, I screwed up the signature, because I was working in two windows... One with the directions and the other setting it up. Once I got the avatar right, I posted... Hadn't saved the signature. That's what I get for being such a geek and perfectionist... [smilie=BangHead.gif] And, I almost missed the little check box as I was typing this...

As for hunting, if it moves and it's legal, we probably have some in the freezer. [smilie=banana.gif] We usually take 6-8 deer each year, 1 bear (YUMMY!). We also have a friend that has been a hunting buddy for a while and he shares his take, since he's single now. So, by January we will have about 14 deer in the freezer. Then on occassion, we take Nick hunting for squirrels. We are taking Nick and Jim next week to the adult/child hunt on Dawson Forest. It's their first time out for deer. Not sure Nick will be able to be quite. [smilie=eusa_think.gif]

Let's see, I love the crossbow because it is quiet and has a reverse kick. I also have a Marlin 336 ('67) 30-30. Sweet gun and as old as it's mama. I was in the woods last year only once or twice. My husband is a saint, an at home dad, and much better hunter than me. So with the little fellas being so little and him needing a much earned break, he spends more time in the woods than me right now. Not as much as we'd like, but enough to feed the herd for the year. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif] He's up in Dawson this morning. He's seen one doe every time he's been up in the woods. She crosses his path on his way out, almost got a shot on her yesterday. Well there is today, slightly over cast.

The whole family is excited about me becoming a falconer. Doug is as well. He has been interested his whole life but didn't know where to start. His support in this is his gift to me. Once I pass the test, he is going to work on his license. The kids, especially Nick, Jim and Daniel are excited. Well, I better run, Dan is up for breakfast and the others will soon follow.

I'll try not to be a lurker... [smilie=dontknow.gif]

everetkhorton
10-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Reba:
One of the thing that is hard for falconer is getting enough time to spend with the birds. With a family your size you have to be good in time management so I do not think you will find this a problem. This is a piece of advice that I did not follow myslef. Anything you do, do the best you can, not what you can aford. Build a mew with a big flight pen and put running water in it, elec. light etc. JMO Sounds life you have a great family that is fun and supportive and that is great.

kimmerar
10-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Awesome Reba - you'll do great - I bet your husband will try it too. My husband is a year a head of me in this sport. Sounds like you got a great thing going on with the family. You should find someone to go hawking with - it will get you wanting it more.

trillionairess
10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Build a mew with a big flight pen and put running water in it, elec. light etc. JMO Sounds life you have a great family that is fun and supportive and that is great.

I've looked at all the pics of the mews on the site. We definitely plan to build big. I figure we're gonna end up with at least one or two falconers out of the bunch. They all love the woods.

You should find someone to go hawking with - it will get you wanting it more.

Yeah, Kim, that's what I'm worried about, wanting it more...

Besides, I want to pass the test ( [smilie=eusa_pray.gif] ) and then I'll invite myself along on someone else's hunt. (It will give me more time to get the courage to ask...)

And, that will give us time to fill the freezer. Hunting is a huge savings for a family this size. We eat the best meat you can get.

... and still have extra money so mommy can become a falconer... [smilie=smileys13.gif]

everetkhorton
10-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Reba:
If you have a place where there is rabbits etc. do not hesitate to conctact any falconer to come up and hunt. It will open many doors if you have a good place etc. Just ask to tag along and beat the brush.

Jimmy
10-06-2007, 12:59 PM
and then I'll invite myself along on someone else's hunt.

http://nafex.net/viewtopic.php?t=789

trillionairess
11-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Doug and I drove down to Social Circle this morning so I could take the falconry exam. [smilie=banana.gif] I passed!!!

So, we are still looking for a sponsor here in Georgia and are ready to build the mews. [smilie=banana.gif] Doug is hoping to take the test in a week or so. [smilie=eusa_pray.gif]

And with the WRTC auction, I think we have nearly everything we need for that first bird. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

[smilie=icon_pray.gif] Thanks to everyone on the forum, reading about your experiences helped me see the practical application of the material in the CHC Study Guide.

Your stories and that guide is the sum total of my falconry experience so far (well except for that awesome hunt at Joe Kurz - Thanks Jimmy!!!).

With the week off, I hope we will get the mews done...

Bill
11-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I am amazed by all the knowledge on this board

Oh dear lord [smilie=smileys13.gif] [smilie=eusa_naughty.gif]

threetoe
11-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Congrats on Passing...I know how that feels.

You'll do fine.

kimmerar
11-19-2007, 10:47 PM
[smilie=icon_thumright.gif] Congradulations on passing your test. Keep us posted.

Jimmy
11-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Congrats, Reba. Good luck in your sponsor search. And post pics of the mews when you finish them.

Bodarc
11-20-2007, 12:12 AM
Congratulations Reba..........Let the fun begin!

chamokane
11-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Congratulations, Reba. [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

paganlove22
11-20-2007, 05:36 PM
[smilie=banana.gif] [smilie=banana.gif] [smilie=banana.gif] Congrats!!!!! Im so jealous!!!!!!! [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]

`Chris L.
11-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Congrats on the Pass [smilie=eusa_clap.gif]..keep us posted on your progress [smilie=icon_pidu.gif]

sharptail
11-20-2007, 09:52 PM
CONGRATS!

Jimmy
11-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey Reba. I heard you were on another hunt Saturday? How was it? And was it as good as your first time.... [smilie=eusa_doh.gif]

btw..... Your glove is going out tomorrow.

trillionairess
12-01-2007, 10:25 AM
The hunt was amazing - but you know nothing is ever as good as the first one... [smilie=banana.gif]

I took over 100 pictures at the hunt last week. They are great, but since they weren't my birds, I didn't post the pics or the stories - should I?

Also, got the glove. Man, they are awesome gloves.

Jimmy
12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I took over 100 pictures at the hunt last week. They are great, but since they weren't my birds, I didn't post the pics or the stories - should I?

Go ahead, if you want to share them. I know all those guys, it might be interesting to see/hear about how they did. Several of them are up there again right now. One of them was kind enough to just call and wake me up to tell me they were there........ [smilie=icon_hang.gif]

wesleyc6
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, let's see some GA pics. I heard all the handsome falconers moved out West though [smilie=smileys13.gif]

sevristh
12-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Yeah, let's see some GA pics. I heard all the handsome falconers moved out West though [smilie=smileys13.gif]

[smilie=eusa_sick.gif] [smilie=icon_hang.gif] [smilie=eusa_boohoo.gif]

[smilie=smileys13.gif]

Bodarc
12-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Reba

Did any of them cast fly their red-tails?