PDA

View Full Version : hello from PDX

kelsey.goff
11-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi, If you havent figured it out yet, my name is Kelsey. Im a novice falconer with a RT named Simi. I was told this is a really cool site. I'm looking forword to actually catching stuff on a consistant basis. We got our first rat yesterday and she ate up on a cottontail today. (her crop is HUGE) :D

Chris L.
11-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi Kelsey,

thank you for taking the time to say hello. It sounds like you are off to a great start. What is your RT's weight?

Thank you for using your real name it helps keep things friendly here.

Happy hawking

Chris

everetkhorton
11-07-2010, 10:50 PM
(welc) Kelsey!

Richard F, Hoyer
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Kelsey:
There were three highlights that took place at our mini-meet in the Corvallis area this past Saturday.

The first was when your Simi flew up and took her first intended quarry, the Dusky-footed Wood Rat, up in the branches of that Ash tree. A second high note was that second year apprentice Jason Goss's new female Red-tail snagged her first cottontail. And the third highlight, I believe everyone was successful in flushing a Whopper or similar 'quarry' at the BurgerKing during our mid afternoon break.

Richard F. Hoyer

zero
11-08-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/welcome.gif!! Kelsey

Its good to have another local Falconer on Nafex!

zero
11-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Kelsey:
There were three highlights that took place at our mini-meet in the Corvallis area this past Saturday.

The first was when your Simi flew up and took her first intended quarry, the Dusky-footed Wood Rat, up in the branches of that Ash tree. A second high note was that second year apprentice Jason Goss's new female Red-tail snagged her first cottontail. And the third highlight, I believe everyone was successful in flushing a Whopper or similar 'quarry' at the BurgerKing during our mid afternoon break.

Richard F. Hoyer

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I was going to be there, got invited by Curtis but couldn't make it. Maybe you guys can have another mini meet in the near future :)

lupine
11-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Hi, Kelsey! Glad you had fun--that first kill is an amazing feeling, huh?

Richard F, Hoyer
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
SuFyAn:
What started out to be a small group flying 4 Harris's Hawks together (for the first time) plus one Goshawk ended up with adding 5 Red-tails to the mix. That meant that instead of dividing the day into two hunting sessions, one for the Harris's Hawks being flown together, and the one Goshawk, the day had to be divided into 7 hunting sessions. And since everyone was to meet at my residence between 10 - 10:30 AM, that meant trying have all hawks get in some hunting between about 11 AM to about 6 PM.

What we did was to split into two groups and were able to fly all Harris's Hawks and three Red-tails at two separate localities during two sessions in the morning and early afternoon before taking a break at Burger King. And one Red-tail was flown early in the morning before the falconer's showed up at my home.

As it turned out, we got all hawks a decent amount of hunting time and the weather gave us a break as well as it didn't being to rain lightly until just after 5 PM. And all but one Red-tail were able to take quarry on Saturday.

Just like last year, there is suppose to be an Ore. Falconer's Assn. winter meet at the end of January in the Corvallis region. I recall you weren't able to make it down last year but perhaps you can get down here for that meet this year. But if you can make it down before then, you are most welcome and I can guaranty giving your bird some slips on cottontails.

I can be reached at charinabotta@earthlink.net. If you decide to make the trip, bring your sponsor Lorne down with you as a month or more ago, he contacted me indicated he would like accompany me on a hunt.

Richard F. Hoyer

P.S. Curtis couldn't make it Saturday with his male HH as if I understood correctly, he came down with the flu. RFH

Michelle:
Were you able to get out with Ben and trap another passage Red-tail?

Richard FH

lupine
11-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Hi, Richard...

Ben and I went out all day Saturday after dealing with a wonky tire...saw few passage RTs, and those we did turned their noses up at different bait offerings. We were going to come by to see all of you, but I have limited time to come down and trap (here in Oregon, one has to be with their sponsor) and Ben's afraid I'll wash out if he doesn't get another bird on my glove ASAP (I won't, but don't tell him that). We went out again Sunday morning and had a few birds approach or hit the trap, only to be bumped by...

...cyclists
...Mr. Magoo getting his mail
....a combine
...a veal farmer who thought we were PETA.

After accusing one another of hexing the day, and my going through some serious superstitious antics (hawk dance, anyone?) and nail-chewing we called it quits. Plus, my trap that has been so awesome just might have lost its juju--I'm building a new one.

We've had a lot of warm weather, and the birds are fat and preeny. After a good cold snap, we'll have better luck!

cbdfox
11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Kelsey
I am glad to see you found your way onto Nafex. It's an awesome web site and if you haven't already figured it out this Forum has a lot to offer any Falconer.

I am still impressed with Simi's performance and can't get over how eager to hunt she was.

Michelle
Very amusing antics with Ben. I could just imagine the two of you out trapping! Good luck.

lupine
11-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks, Chris!

Trapping's fun, no matter the result...picked up a pretty nice road-killed gray squirrel as a consolation prize (still warm and fluffy!).

Kelsey, looking forward to meeting you sometime; welcome to the forum!