PDA

View Full Version : Found Hawk (Cooper's ?) with tag R. Berry

11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Found a hawk, I believe it is a Cooper's, with a tag on one of the feet with the name R. Berry. The hawk has leather straps around both legs. It was found in Allentown, PA. If you know anything post a reply with contact information.

PeteJ
11-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Found a hawk, I believe it is a Cooper's, with a tag on one of the feet with the name R. Berry. The hawk has leather straps around both legs. It was found in Allentown, PA. If you know anything post a reply with contact information.

I think I know who that might belong to.....I'll try to send you a private with a name of a local that lost one. I'll try to get his number...

PeteJ
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
I tried to send you a private with the information but apparently (according to the adminstrator) this didn't work and it came back to him. So contact me directly via my cell @ 575-312-6845 and I'll give you the numbers for the local that for sure lost this bird. Thank you.

boynamedsue
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I am friends with the person who is missing this bird. Please call me at 610-350-8683...ASAP. He is very anxious to recover the bird.

PeteJ
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
And...it is the same guy that both of us know, so contact either of us for the same info. and we'll put you in touch with the owner immediately. He's waiting by the phone...as are both of us!!!

Chris L.
11-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Just to let you guys know he ( guest) hasn't been back on here since he made the post. I hope he comes back to check this. I didnt want you all to think he was ignoring this

PeteJ
11-17-2010, 06:25 PM
We were able to find out who it was through various other sources that he/she had called in the local area (zoo). Often when someone posts as a guest something along this line, it is probably because they had tried other sources first and left word with them (animal control, game and fish, zoos, pet shops even). When I lose a bird I often put out the word to them first. As it is, the bird was in fact dead and the owner was able to collect it. By the way, it was not a Cooper's Hawk (as reported), it was an intermewed Ornate Hawkeagle. Sad to end, but closure does have its own value. It had been out several weeks and probably only recently had difficulty due to the bad weather in the last week up in eastern PA. I had heard that this bird had been lost a couple of weeks ago and guessed that it probably was the OHE based on the R. Berry band as Bob Berry in WY is one of the few producers of OHEs. I was sorry to hear of the initial loss and the terminal result.

Zarafia
11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Wow. That sucks, Pete.
Thanks for putting forth the effort to try and help those involved.

PeteJ
11-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Wow. That sucks, Pete.
Thanks for putting forth the effort to try and help those involved.
It was a very frustrating few hours once the original post went up on here. We didn't know if the bird was alive and there was no contact number or email or anything. Not very useful that way, but, it did alert to the possibility that the bird was recovered so the search could begin anew via other outlets. Too bad the two transmitters had been removed after the first two days and the terrain was difficult (too much vegetation, leaves on trees, corn fields, cover over your head). It would have been nice to have had a superior outcome.

Tasha55403
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Ouch! That's painfulfrus)

JRedig
11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
I wondered how mqany r. Berry's there could be....

allredone
11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
"I believe it's a coopers"? Oh no wait... It's an Ornate Hawk Eagle...

http://www.nafex.net/images/smilies/confusedd.gif

Wow...

PeteJ
11-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Now now, I've had worse. I had lost a Barbary falcon once and had ads in the paper...several people were convinced they had him right in there yard...one was a pigeon and the other was a Muscovy duck. So, since our 'guest' was not a falconer, at least he got it to the right family of birds. Pretty good I thought.

Hawkmom
11-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Too bad the bird had died. At least this person tried to find the falconer/owner.