PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Georgia

Lighterknot
12-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Hello all, I am new here and have been in touch with a local falconry club to get some hands-on experience. I had the opportunity to go on a falconry hunt with a fellow service member and was blown away. Looking to learn as much as I can about this endeavor and make sure that I would be well suited for the responsibilites that come along with all aspects of falconry.

Dirthawking
12-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Hello and welcome to NAFEX.

Please have a look around and familiarize yourself with how the forums work. One forum that most people find the most useful is the site information (http://www.nafex.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26). This is where you can learn to post photos (first thing almost everybody wants to know).

Also please take the time to go to user cp (located on the left side of your screen, near the top) and add your signature automatically to your post, real first name at a minimum please. This helps keep things friendly around the threads, as people will know who they are talking to.

If you are a pre-apprentice, apprentice, looking for information of falconry, etc...you will find this section extremely helpful. Please take the time to look here (http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=2007).

Again, welcome to NAFEX! Let one of the moderators know if you need anything.

NAFEX Moderating team

Lighterknot
12-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I will try to do more reading than posting at first to try to keep from asking questions that have been hashed out repeatedly. frus)

thunderheartiii
12-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Hello and (welc) to NAFEX.

Jimmy
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi, Chad.
Which local club did you contact?

MAGASKAWEE
12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself.:)

Lighterknot
12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Jimmy: When I first started researching falconry I stumbled upon the GFA website and e-mailed Buster because he seemed to be the closest person to me on their contact page. He said they had a guy just east of Athens but that he recommended I contact the Georgia Game Hawkers Club to make sure they didn't have anyone closer. His advice which I was thankful for was that to make the most out of a potential sponsorship I should try to find someone as close as possible so I could potentially spend more time with them learning and doing. I talked to Todd from the gamehawkers club and he said they have a member right here in Augusta. He was out in Oklahoma flying his bird when I called him and aske for me to call him back next week and he would put me in touch with the guy in Augusta. So until then, i am just reading as much as I can.

Jimmy
12-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I talked to Todd .......

I think you mean Tom?

Lighterknot
12-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry, yes it was Tom, I believe he is their Treasurer.

wesleyc6
12-09-2010, 11:44 PM
They have falconry in GA? Just kidding. Lots of great falconers in GA. So you thinking of a red tail on squirrels to start out?

Lighterknot
12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah Wes from what i have been reading that seems to be the consensus as far as the best combo of bird/prey to start with...any thoughts on that?

wesleyc6
12-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Yeah Wes from what i have been reading that seems to be the consensus as far as the best combo of bird/prey to start with...any thoughts on that?

I flew a rt on squirrels my first year and a kestrel on birds the next and flew probably 10 more RT after that while in GA. You will have a blast with a RT in Agusta.