PDA

View Full Version : Another Northern California Apprentice Want-a-Be

Donal
12-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey All,

I have been having one heck of a time chasing through all the posts on here . . . talk about a wonderful way to spend a cold and wet afternoon.

So, let's see . . . about me . . .

I have always been entrigued with raptors. In my youth I volunteered at the Phoenix Zoo, caring for raptors . . . and another one of my loves . . . Reptiles. For the most part, y skills were in the removal of scraps and . . . well, let's just say scraps from the pens. :D Later in life I had the opportunity of living in the great state of Alaska, where I again had the opportunity of volunteering with the care of a few Eagles . . . nothing exciting . . . other than being able to carry one on arm once in awhile.

Recently, my traveling schedule with work has come to a close, so I am seriously trying to become involved in the awesome sport.

A few weeks back, I passed the State Falconry test . . . made calls, ordered just about every book I could, and have had the opportunity to go out with two local Falconers . . . one of which recommended that I take a look around this site.

Hopefully . . . I will have the opportunity of joining the ranks.

Oh, and asking all sorts of silly questions. toungeout

REYNALDO
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
(welc)

Betelgeuse
12-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Welcome,
If you can make it to the Lincoln area let me know and I'll give you an idea of the times when my sponsor helps some local falconers with dog and falcon/hawk training.

awahl
12-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Good to see that you made your way here Donal. It is certainly a great resource of information. Take care.

Donal
12-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Hey Andy, you were spot on with recommending visiting this forum, and visiting it often. amennn

It's crazy . . . for four years I drove around this little town of ours, and really only noticed the red tails on the light poles. Now . . . my kids and I are fighting for the binoculars, so that we can be the first to identfy all the different hawks in the area. :D

We spotted 5 RT, 2 hag's and 3 passage; 2 PF's . . . no idea yet on how to identify age on these yet; and more than 15 kestrels.

This is just way too much fun.

Donal
12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Katy,

Thanks for the invitation. I will probably be taking you up on that offer in the near future. I may not know where Lincoln is . . . but my GPS surely does. :D

I have a little miniature long haired doxie . . . maybe I might get lucky enough to apprentice on a RT that won't see him as food, but rather another servant in the bushes. (dog)

Betelgeuse
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Katy,

Thanks for the invitation. I will probably be taking you up on that offer in the near future. I may not know where Lincoln is . . . but my GPS surely does. :D

I have a little miniature long haired doxie . . . maybe I might get lucky enough to apprentice on a RT that won't see him as food, but rather another servant in the bushes. (dog)

Lincoln is about an hour and a half from Chico. On Hwy 65 (you can take 99 to 70 to 65) just before Roseville.

My sponsor used to hawk with his 'Weiner' dog avidly. Says it was a great hunting partner.

PM me for more details.

All the best

Donal
12-23-2010, 08:48 PM
It might be hard to see . . . but I am actually jumping up and down . . . happily :D

As things have worked out, I have found a falconer in the area . . . almost walking distance from wear I live . . . that . . . with a little begging . . . agreed to take on an Apprentice.

He and a friend of his has allowed me and my daughter to go out and watch their falcons take pheasant. It's just too funny . . . there I am 'ooooing and awwwwwing' at how high their falcons go . . . and how you can hear the wind whistle as they tear by in persuit . . . yet the two of them mutter about how they aren't doing as well as they can. :D

This is really exciting . . . and it's fun to be putting my hands to making things.

I probably won't be able to trap myself a PRT before the trapping season is over . . . but luck be with me . . . I will have plenty of opportunities to walk, talk, and observe with my sponsor . . . so much to learn.

Donal
12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok, I might not have a Hawk yet, butI think I might have caught some type of bug. I am on a business trip in Tucson this week, and while here I hit all the Lowe's, Home Depots, and Ace Hardware, iin search of the ever elusive Daisy Mats. And let me tell you . . . I scored crazyy

Coming Home with TWO mats Baby :D

But here is something to keep in mind when shopping for Daisy mats. When one walks into a hardware store wearing a Hawaiian shirt, with another male, asking about daisy mats . . . not even saying they are for hawk perches can stop the head nodding and whispering . . . frus)