PDA

View Full Version : Book whispers and rumors

frootdog
12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Thought this might be a fun thread.

What falconry books do you know of coming out soon? And I mean soon in falconry book terms.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/rofl.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

For example

The Coulsons are "finishing up" a book on HHs.
New edition of NAFAHH
I've heard rumors for years about a 2nd edition of Buteos and Bushytails.

Anyone else have one? or add to my info?

Someone mentioned a Merlin book. By who?

Saluqi
12-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Jim Nelson's book on Hoods, hood making, and hooding. I've heard rumors of this book for at least 9 years.

frootdog
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Jim Nelson's book and Hoods, hood making and hooding. I've heard rumors of this book for at least 9 years.

Yes. Forgot about that one. Even had an excerpt from that book in an American Falconry article a year or two back if I remember right.

kimmerar
12-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Jim Nelson's book and Hoods, hood making and hooding. I've heard rumors of this book for at least 9 years.

I've seen it (read some of it to help me through my hood making lesson) - it's really going to happen sometime :)

Dutch
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
The new books I’ve read in 2010 are “The Sinews of Falconry” by Gordon Robinson and “The Art of Falconry from Arabia Westward” by Dr. Kenton E. Riddle. Robinson’s book is a good read on the history of falconry in the British Isles up to 1954 when raptors were protected. Ken Riddles treatise contains the most detailed descriptions of the manning, training and entering of raptors, I’ve read. Although Ken’s treatise is focused on large non-imprint falcons, it will be a good resource for anyone interested in passage Goshawks as well.
My wife and I are currently reading “Footprints on the Toilet Seat” by Dr. J. David Remple. Dave’s book is a fun read which outlines Dave and Cheryl Remple’s experiences while they lived in Dubai.

I'm beating Jim Nelson's book will be out in 2011.

J. Stoddart

goshawks00
12-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Surely Harry is working on another edition... Probably "Jungle hawking with the natives"

Well maybe ....toungeout

AK Rev
12-22-2010, 06:48 PM
I forget where I read about the new merlin book but one of the falconry suppliers also told me about it...Western Sporting maybe? I didn't have specifics but I was told it would be good. Maybe some of the merlin guys know more about it. There are certainly some US merlin guys I would love to read more from.

Oh, Hollinshead has a new eagle book coming out in a month or two called "Hunting eagle: the development of German and Austrian eagle falconry". It will be a signed/limited edition. Looking forward to that one.

tumble
12-22-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice move Krys...shame them all into publication!

frootdog
12-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Nice move Krys...shame them all into publication!
:D

adam norrie
12-23-2010, 03:58 AM
There will be a new book out, not sure when, relating to flying Merlins, Authors are from all over the globe, superb art work, which I have seen. Really looking forward to when it is out. It will be a winner thats for sure.

Tony James
12-23-2010, 05:10 AM
There will be a new book out, not sure when, relating to flying Merlins, Authors are from all over the globe, superb art work, which I have seen. Really looking forward to when it is out. It will be a winner thats for sure.

Hi Adam,

it'll be well worth buying for the artwork alone. Ron Digby at his best I think.

Happy Christmas,

Tony.

Ross
12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
There is a book on gyrfalcons in the works from Vic Hardiswick and Kent Christopher. I was able to proof read quite a bit of it several months ago. Very good read. I believe it was mostly done before Kent died in the skiing accident. Those who enjoyed Pitchers book will also find this interesting.

Joby
12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Isn't there a new version of "Falconry Equipment" coming? Plus, I think Bill Boni was working on a new book on passage coopers.

Paul Mascuch
12-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I believe Kent Carnie is working on a book on the history of falconry.

AK Rev
12-23-2010, 12:56 PM
We need more books on coopers and sharpies...and micro-hawking in general. Would love to see a good falconry-based book on prairies too.

gratefool1
12-23-2010, 01:39 PM
I am working on a coffee table book tentatively entitled "Footing: An Artful Pictorial of an Idiot's Pain", in which I reveal slightly touched up photos of my bird hanging on to my fingers, hands, arms, head, etc. The touch ups will simply be to enlarge the talons a tad so my wife won't think I am such a wimp complaining about "those little punctures"... The cover will be painted in my own blood...

In it I will describe the absolute best ways of positioning your hands at just the opportune times to ensure maximum damage and the most staggering pain. I will also have an appendix on important alternatives about what to do when the hand is too swollen to type, or what different antibiotics taste like...

Should be a hit in my target demographic of masochists with an IQ under 70...

Lowachi
12-23-2010, 01:55 PM
I am working on a coffee table book tentatively entitled "Footing: An Artful Pictorial of an Idiot's Pain", in which I reveal slightly touched up photos of my bird hanging on to my fingers, hands, arms, head, etc. The touch ups will simply be to enlarge the talons a tad so my wife won't think I am such a wimp complaining about "those little punctures"... The cover will be painted in my own blood...

In it I will describe the absolute best ways of positioning your hands at just the opportune times to ensure maximum damage and the most staggering pain. I will also have an appendix on important alternatives about what to do when the hand is too swollen to type, or what different antibiotics taste like...

Can I get in on the pre-publication price?? Might be able to furnish a few shots....Ed Fitch w/a euro gos firmly imbedded in his right hand, era +/- 1974, Dick Glasow w/Stanley, and of course myself, with an imprint female redtail literally "swiss cheesing" my right hand. No photo shop needed.:eek:

gratefool1
12-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Rich,

Absolutely can do. Was also hoping to see if I could swing a deal with Krys as I understand that he has had birds hanging off of almost all aspects of his anatomy at different times. What do you say Krys??? I am sure there are pictures...

Hmmm. Is it appropriate to apologize for hijacking ones thread in the same post as you bust on them?

Lowachi
12-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Rich,

Absolutely can do. Was also hoping to see if I could swing a deal with Krys as I understand that he has had birds hanging off of almost all aspects of his anatomy at different times. What do you say Krys??? I am sure there are pictures...

Hmmm. Is it appropriate to apologize for hijacking ones thread in the same post as you bust on them?

It's Christmas...gahead!;)

frootdog
12-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Rich,

toungeout That sh*t happens when you fly an imprint coop!

Leather
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I get the American Falconry magazine (It is a great magazine) and in the latest issue towards the back of the mag is an article Harris' Hawks in Lima, Peru and right in the middle of the article is a section that states
" Writers Sought for Passage Cooper's Hawk Book"
Individual chapters for a book on passage Cooper's hawk to be published in 2011 are being solicited. This anthology is expected to result in a much needed consensus concerning the controversy surrounding this hawk's true potential within the realm of falconry. Success with this bird is not a prerequisite for publication. Honesty and candor will be well- received.

For further information please contact: Bill Boni @ falconer@cox.net

Now I have been thinking forever as to why there has not been a book published like this (that I know of), and I know there are several experienced short wingers out there ( just like you) with a ton of knowledge that you could share on a book like this. Anyway- I know I would get my name on the list to get this book- I know I can't be the only one - Could this not be a great book???. Just thought this could be important to post confusedd - or not.
Eric

frootdog
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Now I have been thinking forever as to why there has not been a book published like this (that I know of),

Desert Hawking II and Desert hawking with a Little Help from my Friends. There are a few others too.

Saluqi
12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
There really hasn't been a book published since Bert, on training and flying passage goshawks, and they've been used in the sport far longer than Coops, so it's no wonder really...

wyodjm
12-24-2010, 01:52 PM
There really hasn't been a book published since Bert, on training and flying passage goshawks, and they've been used in the sport far longer than Coops, so it's no wonder really...

Good Point. That's true. Mavrogordato's A Hawk for the Bush, published in 1960, was basically the next book to come along on passage Accipiters after Bert. Mavro's book focusing mainly on sparrowhawks.

Saluqi
12-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Good Point. That's true. Mavrogordato's A Hawk for the Bush, published in 1960, was basically the next book to come along on passage Accipiters after Bert. Mavro's book focusing mainly on sparrowhawks.

Ooops, forgot about Mavro's book...

wyodjm
12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Ooops, forgot about Mavro's book...

But you're right Paul. Bert's book was focused on passage goshawks. There hasn't been one since to my knowledge.

That would be cool. A new book on passage goshawks. A united, multi authored effort from a group of people who really know them. Interfacing a collective knowledge. Trapping, manning, training, housing, and general husbandry. Quarries to hawk and methods.

That would be a book.

Leather
12-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Desert Hawking II and Desert hawking with a Little Help from my Friends. There are a few others too.

Krys,
I have had an interest in passage coopers for some time now -So these books you have mentioned above would be good to look into getting for preparation for a PASSAGE coopers? I know you have discussed on this subject before- on a different thread - somewhere, but I was thinking of gathering all the info I could find that could help me out-
Thanks Eric

GONEHAWKN
12-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Hey Eric, those books that Krys mentioned are out of print. They are out there and surface from time to time, but prices can fluctuate. i have seen some of them as low as $75.00(in bad shape) to prices approaching the $700.00 range.

Leather
12-24-2010, 02:31 PM
to prices approaching the $700.00 range.
Bill,
Wow- I'm still saving for my telemetry, my wife would love it if I told her I spent that kind of money on a book.:eek:
Thanks though Eric

frootdog
12-24-2010, 03:55 PM
to prices approaching the $700.00 range.
Bill,
Wow- I'm still saving for my telemetry, my wife would love it if I told her I spent that kind of money on a book.:eek:
Thanks though Eric

Yes they are both on passage coops. DHWALHFMF is on Western Sporting right now for $300. You can easily pick up both for $700. I paid $400 for DH2.

AK Rev
12-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Krys, I have the first one on loan from Paul and love it. I would like to get my own copy. What are some of the differences between the two versions?

AK Rev
12-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I meant to say that I have borrowed DHWALHFMF, not the very first book. Just wondered what the differences were as that one is over twice as long as the other. Totally different material?

TiercelR
12-24-2010, 11:47 PM
In the IFF someone said that the book of Symon Latham will be reprinted again in a near future. I can´t wait for read it.

AK Rev
12-24-2010, 11:58 PM
That's one of the reprints I haven't seen in person yet. One recently sold for 400 pounds on ebay. Woof!

I ordered the DHWALHFMF that Krys mentioned. Thanks for the heads up and now I can return my sponsor's book. Had some Christmas $ and it might as well go for more books. I can keep wearing the same clothes from the 90's until they fall off.

I know the contents of DHWALHFMF but I am curious about the contents of the other version. Maybe I'll take a peek at Krys' book next week.

Zarafia
12-25-2010, 01:51 AM

ROTFPMSL!!!!!!!

Hunter45
12-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Can I get in on the pre-publication price?? Might be able to furnish a few shots....Ed Fitch w/a euro gos firmly imbedded in his right hand, era +/- 1974, Dick Glasow w/Stanley, and of course myself, with an imprint female redtail literally "swiss cheesing" my right hand. No photo shop needed.:eek:

I am glad no one got pics of Stanley fastened to me, circa '70s in Alamosa. I had agreed to help Dick carry the whitetail jacks Stanley caught (in the game bag portion of my hawking coat). Here's "the rest of the story".

Stanley didn't see the first jack go into my coat, but he did the 2nd, and bent over and gave me his best, "You dirty so and so . . " look. Despite dropping back 100 yards behind the line of beaters, on the next flush, some 30 minutes later, Stanley faked like he was going for the jackrabbit and then did a 180 and came straight for me.

I turned at the last second and presented the jack filled portion of my coat, while bending forward and trying to shield my neck and head. One of Stanley's big rear killing talons went through my coat and curled just enough that the backside skipped off my spine . . . we won't even talk about the possible results if it hadn't!

Dick came running in as fast as he could yelling "Oh, Sh**! Oh, Shi**! repeatedly as I whirled around like a giant jackrabbit. When he got there, Dick yelled to me, "Stop!" and he grabbed Stanley's legs. As Stanley released me I was all too aware of everyone laughing their butts off!

Well, it was funny . . . except for Dick and I! LOL!