PDA

View Full Version : Found Female Prairie

frootdog
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Found in East Dallas. Has a transmitter with dead batteries. Seems to be an imprint. No one in the DFW area is claiming the bird. Possibly from OK, KS, AR? Anyone?

Tom Smith
12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Found in East Dallas. Has a transmitter with dead batteries. Seems to be an imprint. No one in the DFW area is claiming the bird. Possibly from OK, KS, AR? Anyone?

Try searching on the transmitter for a serial number and trace it. I have had a bird returned by virtue of some one locating that serial number and contacting the transmitter people, in my case it was Luksanders who called me and let me know where my bird was. A pretty cool deal.

mainefalconer
12-27-2010, 05:32 PM
Or you could just give the bird to me, and keep the transmitter. :D

FredFogg
12-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Scott, that is a whole new thread, taking what I call "hand me ups"! LOL :D

NMHighPlains
12-27-2010, 08:58 PM

I want the bird AND the transmitter. frus)

Maybe someone will call me someday with the good news that they've found my peregrine and transmitter. Sigh.....

GONEHAWKN
12-27-2010, 09:50 PM
this is why i put my phone number on my transmitters....i hope that the bird gets reunited with the falconer who lost it....

kimmerar
12-27-2010, 10:23 PM
I know someone in Arkansas that lost one last year about this time - it was a newly trapped passage then? Haggard?

frootdog
12-28-2010, 02:40 AM
I know someone in Arkansas that lost one last year about this time - it was a newly trapped passage then? Haggard?

I have not seen the bird, but it does appear to be an adult. It also acts much like an imprint and not a passage bird. Did your friend have telemetry on the bird?

NMHighPlains
12-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Maybe someone will call me someday with the good news that they've found my peregrine and transmitter. Sigh.....

I was notified that a peregrine/transmitter WAS recently found. Not mine. Let me clarify that I lost mine 5 years ago....

I actually am pretty sure that an adult RT ate my peregrine (or the transmitter at least) as I tracked the signal coming from an adult RT waaaaayyyyy overhead. Either the falcon was up above the RT or... well, sniff, sniff... That was the first and only bird I've lost in the field, too.

Jack
12-28-2010, 04:50 PM
This bird is still blue, so is this years bird. I also think it is an imprint simply by it's behavior. It also appears not to have eaten for a while. I don't think it has been out more than a few weeks. Long enough at least for the batteries to die. Feather perfect still and very pretty.

Jack

frootdog
01-04-2011, 01:47 PM
This bird has been reunited with it's falconer. He actually saw the post here on NAFEX.:D

thumbsupp Thumbs up to Chris for keeping the forum running.clapp

Saluqi
01-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Well, let's the particulars, where was it from and how long was it out?

sevristh
01-04-2011, 02:02 PM

x2!

Good to hear a happy ending!

dirtwinger
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
I wish Clint would come and retrap his Prairie Falcon she is a pain in the ass when I am hunting. She messed up two different flights over the weekend although we did get a fabulous chase with her and my gyr/prairie on a meadowlark. I dont know where the chase originated as the had skied out but when they came over they were about 300ft up and started taking alternate stoops ending with my bird smacking the lark out of the sky and the prairie doing a swoop and scoop and taking off with the prey!

sevristh
01-04-2011, 09:58 PM
I wish Clint would come and retrap his Prairie Falcon she is a pain in the ass when I am hunting. She messed up two different flights over the weekend although we did get a fabulous chase with her and my gyr/prairie on a meadowlark. I dont know where the chase originated as the had skied out but when they came over they were about 300ft up and started taking alternate stoops ending with my bird smacking the lark out of the sky and the prairie doing a swoop and scoop and taking off with the prey!

Hey, that's perfect! You got to see the flight and didn't have to trade off or let the bird feed! Haha! ;) Now she'll probably try even harder next time! :D

dirtwinger
01-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Hey, that's perfect! You got to see the flight and didn't have to trade off or let the bird feed! Haha! ;) Now she'll probably try even harder next time! :D
It was cool, but then there was the chase on a jack that ended when the prairie knocked my bird out of the air and the hour they spent dogfighting all over the sky. To add insult to injury the next three chases went like this, first one the jack ran 100yds and went down a hole, next chase they bumped a burrowing owl and Cog checked at that. The last chase the prairie came down from the stratosphere stooping on the jack missed and then my bird started fighting with her again!frus)

frootdog
01-05-2011, 04:16 AM

It was a local falconer. That's all I know really. He called while I was asleep, but managed to find out who had the bird with a little effort. When I called him back he had found the people and had made arangements to pick up the bird that had already been placed with another falconer to fly. Honestly he must be a bit below the radar cause I had never heard his name before he called me.