Thread: Greetings from Florida

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Greetings from Florida

Been flying redtails at rabbits since 2003. Fun in the cane fields here in Palm Beach County. Looking to try a Harris Hawk for a change.

to NAFEX. Have any pictures of the cane fields. I was surprised to see they still burn sugar cane fields. One of the very few rules on this site is that everyone sign there post. You can use the User CP to have your name added to you post every time you post a message.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Went to CP to add the signature. I will have to look for some pictures. Burning cane can be very dangerous, as the fire has been known to "leap" outside the field and even destroy trucks etcetera. I have heard the story that a football team in the area waits at the edge of a burning field to try and catch the rabbits running out as an agility drill.
    Timothy Powers O'Neill, Esq. Tequesta, FL
    It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody. ~Brendan Behan

Hello and to NAFEX.
    Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

Good to see more FL falconers popping up on here! I've seen pics of cane field rabbit hawking... looks like fun with relatively light cover, I bet you guys get some nice long flights!
    ~Matt (formerly of Tampa)
    Dogs are my favorite kind of people.

Matt:

Cover is light once they have burned and mowed the fields. We do get pretty long flights if the rabbit decides to run into the open field. Usually, they are pretty good at finding a thicket nearby, for us to try for another slip.
    Timothy Powers O'Neill, Esq. Tequesta, FL
    It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's rather that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody. ~Brendan Behan

Thread Information