Thread: UHF telemetry and HAM operators.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by chuck View Post
    this last bird I lost has been the most heart breaking experience in the last ten years. I don't think I can fly another bird without telemetry. I'm just having a bit of a tough time deciding on the right system. I live and hawk in hardwood forests, rail road right of way and industrial parks.... can anyone advise on a system for my style of falconry... I fly RT on rabbit and squirrel, with some luck I hope to get a HH for the coming season.
    Hi Chuck,

I'm very sorry you lost your bird. I know what that can feel like.

I'm sure there are several rigs that would work with your style of hunting and the birds that you like to fly. I guess I can only speak to the equipment that I'm familiar with. For the last ten years or so, I've used Marshall equipment. Maybe others can chime in with info on other systems.

I think that if I was getting my first receiver, I'd choose something in the 216 mHz frequency. It's the most common one used and other falconers might be able to help check for a signal if your bird is lost. Also, there are a lot of reasonably priced transmitters in 216.

I'd probably choose the Marshall FM800 receiver. I think it sells for $895.00. You can check Marshall's web site. It comes with a small, folding, attached, center loaded, three element antenna that makes it very handy to carry on your belt or in your vest, and still gives you approximately the range of a full sized three element yagi. It has noise filters that can help a lot anywhere near towns or power lines. You can use it with or without the quick detachable pistol grip.

I have never hunted squirrel, so someone else will have to give their views on the type of transmitter mount that works best for that. I've flown Redtails and one HH in sagebrush and heavy riparian cover with a lot of Russian Olive and Hawthorn, and in the mountains with thick evergreen forest. My opinion is that, in all cases, the more power the transmitter has, the better; but especially in the mountains and forest. For my type of hunting, I'd use a Marshall PowerMax transmitter with either a tail mount or a TrackPack. There is always some chance that any transmitter, of any brand, might fail, so I'd also use a leg mount RT Plus for back up. If you don't want to use a leg mount because of the squirrels, you could use a TrackPack and a tail mount. A lot of falconers use just one transmitter, but I like to use two. I like transmitters with short antennas - less likelihood of electrocution or entanglement.

A Redtail or HH usually won't wander off too far, but if one gets up in a thermal they can go a long way. My advice would be to do your research and get the best equipment you can afford. And change batteries often. Also, spend a lot of time playing with your new equipment before you use it on a hawk. It's not always as straight forward as one would wish.

Good luck, and have fun.
    Last edited by chamokane; 04-06-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: sp and added text
    Dave

Thread Information