Thread: Now here's something you don't see everyday . . .

Default Now here's something you don't see everyday . . .

Some of you, especially the avid trappers, will find this intriguing: pictures from a remote region in Turkey, where trappers have been catching and training hawks this way for a very long time.

These may the first images seen by westerners of these falconers in this little town. Take note of what they are feeding during the initial manning process.

Found here.

Enjoy.
    RB

Very nice. Thanx for sharing.

Check this out http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=9094 , if incase ya havent seen this. Videos of trapping Sparrow Hawks in Turkey.
    Karan

i have seen the video but what i was intrugued by was the use of hard boiled egg for manning the bird. i was also wondering is what that string hanging from that one bird.
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by REYNALDO View Post
    i was also wondering is what that string hanging from that one bird.
    That's probably a whatchyamacallit.... they use it to help throw the bird. It holds their head down and in position. It's in my book but I have to go look it up. EDIT- Halsband!!! Whew!!! The ol' memory's still working!

I was wondering if the eyes of any of those birds spontaneously erupted from their skulls. Bug-eyed rascals, for sure.
    Bryan Kimsey

Great photos. Interesting that the one bird was being fed hard boiled egg.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

RB,

Do you have any idea of the logic behind the feeding of the eggs? Seems maybe akin to washing meat to me possibly? Something that they obviously want to eat but that might not add much weight? Are you able to contact the person who sent the photos and ask this question?

Thanks for posting the slideshow!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by RLBagley View Post
    Some of you, especially the avid trappers, will find this intriguing: pictures from a remote region in Turkey, where trappers have been catching and training hawks this way for a very long time.

These may the first images seen by westerners of these falconers in this little town. Take note of what they are feeding during the initial manning process.

Found here.

Enjoy.
    RB
    That was really cool, thanks for putting that together.

There was a video floating around youtube a couple years ago of those guys from that same region of Turkey trapping, training, and hunting cotournix with their sparrow hawks (or were those Shirkas? they look to be bigger than sparrow hawks). I tried hunting the video down but couldnt find it.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    That was really cool, thanks for putting that together.

There was a video floating around youtube a couple years ago of those guys from that same region of Turkey trapping, training, and hunting cotournix with their sparrow hawks (or were those Shirkas? they look to be bigger than sparrow hawks). I tried hunting the video down but couldnt find it.
    Look at the link in the second post of this thread...
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    Look at the link in the second post of this thread...
    Well, now aint I just a dumb..........

Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by NMHighPlains View Post
    That's probably a whatchyamacallit.... they use it to help throw the bird. It holds their head down and in position. It's in my book but I have to go look it up. EDIT- Halsband!!! Whew!!! The ol' memory's still working!

I was wondering if the eyes of any of those birds spontaneously erupted from their skulls. Bug-eyed rascals, for sure.
    Halsband?(sp?) Also used to prevent bating?

Beautiful birds! The eye coverings, or whatever that is, on the bait birds is interesting as well.
    Michelle M., Fort Thomas, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by borderhawk View Post
    Halsband?(sp?) Also used to prevent bating?
    I thought I had it in the orange book, but I just checked and I don't. It seems like I remember Carnie giving me a lecture on the correct use of the thing and it was NOT used for baiting. He said that was an error that's been repeated. The correct use of the device is to hold the raptor's head down in preparation for a throwing launch.

But, I'm going on memory. I could be wrong.
    Bryan Kimsey

I thought I had it in the orange book, but I just checked and I don't. It seems like I remember Carnie giving me a lecture on the correct use of the thing and it was NOT used for baiting. He said that was an error that's been repeated. The correct use of the device is to hold the raptor's head down in preparation for a throwing launch.

But, I'm going on memory. I could be wrong.
    Your not wrong - at least not about this.

The Halsband helps keep the hawk from falling off the fist as it is thrown.

I am not sure where the benifit really is - I have thrown my goshawks, redtails, and Harris hawks without ever having one of them fall off the fist. I have never flown (or thrown) a small accipiter, so there may well be something I am not grasping about the equation.

I am not sure where the benifit really is - I have thrown my goshawks, redtails, and Harris hawks without ever having one of them fall off the fist. I have never flown (or thrown) a small accipiter, so there may well be something I am not grasping about the equation.
    Have you ever wound up and THROWN the birds? Somewhere I've seen footage of a Japanese falconer winding up like a major league pitcher and slinging that goshawk. The halsband keeps the bird in a head-down attitude, ready for this maneuver.

It's an ancient thing anyway.
    Bryan Kimsey

This video and the videos linked in the other topic are superb. I love seeing how other cultures do different things.

Mike

Have you ever wound up and THROWN the birds? Somewhere I've seen footage of a Japanese falconer winding up like a major league pitcher and slinging that goshawk. The halsband keeps the bird in a head-down attitude, ready for this maneuver.

It's an ancient thing anyway.
    Yes I have, while holding tightly to their jesses until its time for the release.

I am not japanese though, and probably dont have quite the umph in my throw that you are describing. Also, its pretty rare, although it does occur, for me to have the presence of mind to THROW at quarry, instead of just giving a thrust assist so they can get to a perch.

It just occured to me, as I replayed the scene in my mind of watching myself toss my hawks what the difference may be. Goshawks are roughly 7-8 times the size of a sparrow hawk, and significantly stronger. It probably boils down to they have the strength to lean into the thrust, whereas a mush smaller sparrow hawk does not.

I am not japanese though, and probably dont have quite the umph in my throw that you are describing. Also, its pretty rare, although it does occur, for me to have the presence of mind to THROW at quarry, instead of just giving a thrust assist so they can get to a perch.
    Have you ever seen the video of which I speak? It's something else... it scares me.
    Bryan Kimsey

Maybe I'm just slow but, my goshawks were already half way to the quarry before I would have had a chance to throw them. It would maybe be a good thing with a small accipiter though, I have never flown one.

Incidentally, I seen a sharp shin and a merlin, just a few minutes ago, chasing the same dickie bird around my house. I have never seen that before with wild birds.
    Tom Smith, Sometimes, someone unexpected comes into your life out of nowhere, makes your heart race, and changes you forever. We call those people cops.

Quote Originally Posted by borderhawk View Post
    Halsband?(sp?)
    Also (most likely in that part of the world) called a jangoli. It and the art of the throw (batola) is described in detail in the book Life with an Indian Prince by the Craighead Brothers.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

I've seen photos of a halsband on a goshawk, it was in middle eastern countries and semi common from what the article said.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Thank you so much for sharing this with the forum!
    Bob Payne
    "So many hawks, so little time"

That was pretty neat, thanks for posting. A lot of the hawks had that string. If someone contacted the guy who sent the pics to Marshall and confirmed its purpose I sure would like to know. In that first pic it looked like it had the potential for a mess o'tangle.
    -- Andrea Chen, Hayward CA
    finally an austringer

Few pics of Haggard Goshawk ( Hind Baz in local language ) fitted with traditional Jangoli.

And a video of Sparrow hawk hunting Quails fitted with traditional jangoli.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMENY...layer_embedded

Video of casting Turumti to hunt Sparrows. Ppl cast there Tumumtis & Shikras at the quarry from the palm of the hand as it gives impetus to these little hawks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcJ6t...eature=related
    Karan

Love seeing the 3 fingered glove and the intricate leashes that seem so popular in India.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

It's too bad that falconer in the second video was so unenthusiastic...
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

First pic got deleted by mistake, here it is

Karan

that was brill thanks for sharing
    lonely is when your not with your bird of choice,mine is my bengal owl

Those are some fascinating pictures and video, Karan. Very interesting Indian falconry equipment and beautiful bird!

Thanks Karan, very nice!
    -- Andrea Chen, Hayward CA
    finally an austringer

Thread Information