Thread: "Keiger" Dutch Hood

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Keiger" Dutch Hood

Here is my new style Dutch hood. I bought a hood on e-bay from Montana falconer and hoodmaker Gerald Geiger. The hood was very well made and it was similar to the Chinook Dennis Maynes Dutch pattern, yet different. I tweeked Dennis' pattern and then added Geralds little twist being the throat slash.
    Gerald's hood is one of my favourites of my collection.

Ken Hooke
    Falconry Hoods International
    "Specializing" in unique, One Piece Hoods

Default Design

That's a great look Ken, with a design almost like a Arab-Syrian-Dutch cross.

Gerald made me four hoods around 1985. They looked and fit so well. Their shape allowed the hood to slip further onto the head if the falcons shook their heads. The design of those hoods then, reminded me of the style used when Bob Martin was making hoods. I believe that Jack Stoddart may know if Bob was using a particular block and pattern then and if Gerald used the same block and pattern. Maybe Jack will add some history to this.

Dan
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by California Native View Post
    That's a great look Ken, with a design almost like a Arab-Syrian-Dutch cross.

Gerald made me four hoods around 1985. They looked and fit so well. Their shape allowed the hood to slip further onto the head if the falcons shook their heads. The design of those hoods then, reminded me of the style used when Bob Martin was making hoods. I believe that Jack Stoddart may know if Bob was using a particular block and pattern then and if Gerald used the same block and pattern. Maybe Jack will add some history to this.

Dan
    Thank you Dan. The hood I got from Gerald is one of my favourites of my collection that is over 150. Well made and I really liked the look of it. I have photos of a Bob Martin hood but alas I do not have one of his hoods. One day maybe..
    Ken Hooke

Slick hood Ken. Always nice to see something different.
    John
    Still the finest hoods in Marshall.

Default Bob Martin

Quote Originally Posted by sakerjack View Post
    Thank you Dan. The hood I got from Gerald is one of my favourites of my collection that is over 150. Well made and I really liked the look of it. I have photos of a Bob Martin hood but alas I do not have one of his hoods. One day maybe..
    Ken,

Bob now lives in Montana. He talks of getting another falcon but I don't know if he has. A friend here has one of his hand carved wooden blocks and a hood. When Bob stopped making hoods is when my friend got the hood and block. Long time ago now.

Dan
    Dan Fenske
    Harrisburg, Oregon

Just finished I think these colors show off the hood better

Ken Hooke

Nice hood Ken! I've seen one of Geralds hoods years ago. It fit well and had a very interesting
    cut to it. I liked it!
    Jeremy Roselle

Just finished I think these colors show off the hood better

Ken,
    Just wondering what the point is of the lacing. Gerald does it because he can't sew piping of either kind because of arthritis in his fingers and the lacing was a throwback to Mavro and Luff Meredith patterns. Seems to be extra work on your part and serves no function. You make such beautifully crafted hoods, the pattern of this hood itself, plus all the intricate tooling would stand by itself without the lacing. Personally, I think it detracts from the obvious aesthetics. Just one mans opinion.
    Ray Gilbertson-Montana

That purple/yellow/orange is absolutely stunning. I love it, man!
    Christopher Ly
    "Life is a garden. Dig it."

Quote Originally Posted by christopher.vly View Post
    That purple/yellow/orange is absolutely stunning. I love it, man!
    Thank you, the photo does not really show how bright the colors are. I am using some new dye combos and the color are so vibrant. The hood is for my falcon.
    Ken Hooke

Wonderful. I love the brown and black hood...and the blue and tan...and the purple/orange. What size is the brown/black? Edit, what size is the Blue/tan too?
    Katy "A dog is going to see you in one of two ways. You are either an asset or a hindrance to him." Brad Higgins

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Wonderful. I love the brown and black hood...and the blue and tan...and the purple/orange. What size is the brown/black? Edit, what size is the Blue/tan too?
    Thank you, the bk/brown is a large falcon size and the blue/ tan is for a gyr/barbary male it is going to France.
    Ken Hooke

Thank you, the bk/brown is a large falcon size and the blue/ tan is for a gyr/barbary male it is going to France.
    Very nice, Ken. Someone in France is going to be very happy.
    Katy "A dog is going to see you in one of two ways. You are either an asset or a hindrance to him." Brad Higgins

Very nice, Ken. Someone in France is going to be very happy.
    Katy I think he will like the hood, fingers crossed, he has a great little hybrid. Christopher here are some better photos of the hood. I made three of them almost identical, in three different sizes but with almost the same design and the same color scheme.

Last edited by sakerjack; 01-04-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Ken Hooke

Those colors sure do sparkle in the sun. What was your inspiration?

What brand of dye do you recommend? Im using Tandy's Eco-flo. Its not doing it for me.
    Christopher Ly

What brand of dye do you recommend? Im using Tandy's Eco-flo. Its not doing it for me.
    Inspiration? Beer, lol. I will send you a pm to discuss dyes.
    Ken Hooke

PM sent, good luck.
    Ken Hooke

Nice ta see yer up and doing something. I like it
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    Nice ta see yer up and doing something. I like it
    AND you too, how did the class go my friend? I'll tell you what,, I remember lying in the hospital bed with tubes out my chest, two giant, pretty much open incisions and feeling like my world had collapsed when a volunteer came in to talk to me. At the time the last thing I wanted to hear but she went on and said that in a few months you will feel so much better than before your surgery,,Well Rich she was right on the money, I feel better than I did 5 years ago, I have yet to regain my strength and I am still weak after a few hours of work but I have no pain or shortness of breath issues and I cannot wait till summer to ride a bike and enjoy long summer nite walks with my wife and dogs.
    AND I am back making hoods, got 7 on the go now and I really am enjoying the time back at the work bench..
    More to come..
    Ken Hooke

AND you too, how did the class go my friend? I'll tell you what,, I remember lying in the hospital bed with tubes out my chest, two giant, pretty much open incisions and feeling like my world had collapsed when a volunteer came in to talk to me. At the time the last thing I wanted to hear but she went on and said that in a few months you will feel so much better than before your surgery,,Well Rich she was right on the money, I feel better than I did 5 years ago, I have yet to regain my strength and I am still weak after a few hours of work but I have no pain or shortness of breath issues and I cannot wait till summer to ride a bike and enjoy long summer nite walks with my wife and dogs.
    AND I am back making hoods, got 7 on the go now and I really am enjoying the time back at the work bench..
    More to come..
    I'm so pleased to read that Ken.

And I'll look out for that hood in France.

Best wishes,

Tony.

More to come..
    That's great news. I'll bet they can't wait for those walks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    I'm so pleased to read that Ken.

And I'll look out for that hood in France.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Tony, you lucky dog, you.

That's great news. I'll bet they can't wait for those walks too.

Thank you Katy, the dogs will go goofy especially after this brutally cold winter,,
    Ken Hooke

Don't tell anyone Katy, but I'll be there again at the weekend

And Ken my friend, your hood saver will be with me!

Best wishes,

Tony.

More to come..

and the class went fine, teaching basic color this week
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

That's great news too!

Great news are you working full time at Tandys as well?
    Ken Hooke

Great news are you working full time at Tandys as well?
    yes sir
    Rich in Illinois....

I echo what everyone else has said, thats great news. I got the email. Thank you for the advice my friend.

Cheers!
    Christopher Ly

I echo what everyone else has said, thats great news. I got the email. Thank you for the advice my friend.

Cheers!
    Great hope it helped.
    Ken Hooke

Thread Information