Thread: How high does my falcon fly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How high does my falcon fly

AltimeterOne - A rechargeable digital altimeter for trained raptors, rockets, planes, and kites that reports the peak altitude of each flight on an LCD display using a highly sensitive atmospheric pressure sensor. Its tiny size and ability to ride along make it the most versatile altimeter on the market today. Choose the leather bewit size for your hawk--3 sizes available.

http://www.westernsporting.com/mm5/m...tegory_Code=A1

Gr8 Item
    Amad.

Great Item.....
    Sadhak

i have pretty easily been able to get a height using a standard range finder...takes a little practice and a steady hand but if you can target your bird and hit the button you can usually get a reading...harder after they are above 800. Once you do it a few times then you basically can calibrate your eye and you will be close from then on out just estimating. I have found that if you can range find your bird at 200-400ft then you can better estimate any increase in height after that.
    John
    Bend, OR

I bought my Jolly Logic Altimeter One from a local hobby shop for my rockets, it's funny I never thought of using these on birds, then again I'm flying a Redtail.
    The same company has just came out with the Alitimeter Two. This one will also tell you Decent speed of the rocket being used, would be interesting to see if it could measure a falcons stoop speed.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by canvibe View Post
    I bought my Jolly Logic Altimeter One from a local hobby shop for my rockets, it's funny I never thought of using these on birds, then again I'm flying a Redtail.
    The same company has just came out with the Alitimeter Two. This one will also tell you Decent speed of the rocket being used, would be interesting to see if it could measure a falcons stoop speed.
    Now this I would love to see. What model is it? Would make a great present for a friend of mine.
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
    i have pretty easily been able to get a height using a standard range finder...takes a little practice and a steady hand but if you can target your bird and hit the button you can usually get a reading...harder after they are above 800. Once you do it a few times then you basically can calibrate your eye and you will be close from then on out just estimating. I have found that if you can range find your bird at 200-400ft then you can better estimate any increase in height after that.
    Disclaimer: This is not intended to "flame" anyone or start an argument BUT...
    Doesn't a decent rangefinder cost as much as (or more) than the altimeter? Why mess around when you can have an accurate number for a reasonable price?
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Disclaimer: This is not intended to "flame" anyone or start an argument BUT...
    Doesn't a decent rangefinder cost as much as (or more) than the altimeter? Why mess around when you can have an accurate number for a reasonable price?
    Don't know if you have ever tried to put a laser rangefinder on a falcon mounting, I have and past 300ft with a decent rangefinder was difficult to say the least. My sponsor has a rangefinder that he can put on a falcon over 1000ft, but I think the list price on that is over $1000.
    -Kyle

I love this.....It will put to rest the tendency for longwingers to grossly over-estimate the pitch of their falcons. 500 feet wont be 1000 feet anymore!
    Ronald S. Kearney
    "The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see." -Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by haggardgyr View Post
    I love this.....It will put to rest the tendency for longwingers to grossly over-estimate the pitch of their falcons. 500 feet wont be 1000 feet anymore!
    Or prove falcons do fly high.........
    Bill

Default High Flying Ferruginous

The inventor of the AltimeterOne just sent me an email from one of my customers thanking him for the great gadget. The falconer has been flying Ferruginous Hawks for 20 years and never really knew how high they went. He obviously lives in an area conducive to soaring and is a very good falconer because his male went to 1443 feet the first time the unit was worn.

Kudos to that falconer.

David Frank
    Western Sporting

Thread Information