Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 NAFA Meet in Vernal, Utah

I'm getting so excited for this trip! haha Not fair that there's so long to go! A friend here in Boise is thinking about making this her first NAFA Meet, so I may not get to stay witht he Gypsy Hawkers this time around... Maybe I can talk her into it though
    Ryan - Boise, ID
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
    I'm getting so excited for this trip! haha Not fair that there's so long to go! A friend here in Boise is thinking about making this her first NAFA Meet, so I may not get to stay witht he Gypsy Hawkers this time around... Maybe I can talk her into it though
    Hey this is a family forum! What would Bernie say?
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Hey now, I never said nothin bout that! And I bet Bernie would just laugh at me!
    Ryan - Boise, ID
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I checked rates on the internet last weekend and found 2 motels in Vernal that had rooms with 2 beds for $70 a night which I didn't think was too bad. Not as good as the days when Motel 6 was 6 bucks a night but gas was under a dollar then too
    Richard

What hotel is everyone staying at?
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    What hotel is everyone staying at?
    Meet hotel
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Yeah that one is full. They wanted to put me in there older hotel. I decided with the sage motel. I was able to secure a discount. Have a look here http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?p=204265#post204265
    Chris Lynn

I just booked into the Super 8 for $65/night. After reading Chris' post, I might look into that instead. But at least we've got a place to stay for now.

I'd do the Gypsy Hawking thing again, but I'm not finding any nearby campgrounds. Anyone else having luck there? This time, though, I'm bringing TWO little boys so having an in-room bathroom is probably a good thing.
    Bryan Kimsey

Quote Originally Posted by NMHighPlains View Post
    I just booked into the Super 8 for $65/night. After reading Chris' post, I might look into that instead. But at least we've got a place to stay for now.

I'd do the Gypsy Hawking thing again, but I'm not finding any nearby campgrounds. Anyone else having luck there? This time, though, I'm bringing TWO little boys so having an in-room bathroom is probably a good thing.

Look in Jensen ut, its a very short drive and they have a least one campground that I know of. Not sure about a shower and bathroom though....
    Bill

Check Steinaker State Park, might be open year round, don't think they have showers though. There is the KOA which I'm sure has showers but I don't know if they are open then, maybe they would agree to open back up for that week? A couple of other RV parks but you will have to verify if they are open and then there is plenty of BLM land to camp out on.

-missy
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    here we go... The 2nd Annual Nafex Gypsy Hawkers' Encampment Sorry, my lodge poles don't fit on this yardtrailer
    As of now I know of at least 4 falconers possibly 6 that are planning on carrying on the Gypsy Hawkers "tradition" this year. I've been busy planning Elk hunts so haven’t had much time to investigate camp grounds but I should be able to start looking into it next week.

Hopefully we will be able to find a place that is a little more "campy". After the stay in Dodge City’s Watersports Campground last year I felt like we needed to change the name from Gypsy Hawkers to Ghetto Hawkers.

I'll start a thread so we can try and keep ideas for camp sites consolidated.
    Chad (DBH)
    Some people grin and bear it, other people smile and change it

Anyone driving or flying from the east coast? I really want to make it to the meet but as I'm looking at the driving times for it... it's really gonna cut into my hawking time to spend so much time getting there and back. I may end up driving it anyway, but for now I'm gonna start looking into flying out and just renting a car to hawk out of.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Default It's all math . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by superparabuteo View Post
    Anyone driving or flying from the east coast? I really want to make it to the meet but as I'm looking at the driving times for it... it's really gonna cut into my hawking time to spend so much time getting there and back. I may end up driving it anyway, but for now I'm gonna start looking into flying out and just renting a car to hawk out of.
    I've done NAFA Meets both ways (drive and fly).

For driving figure $.50/mile average actual driving cost for mid-size hawking vehicle PLUS maybe two extra hotel nights & two day's meals.

Now for flying figure the flight, car rental (talk to agency you will be picking the car up to be SURE you get the car you want/need), and, finally, figure air shipment cost for your hawk (at least $200 each way). I've heard Continental may offer the best animal shipping costs.

Finally, figure 40 hours of windshield time the flying will save you -

The real fly in the ointment is the hawk shipping costs. Let us know what your research shows.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter45 View Post
    The real fly in the ointment is the hawk shipping costs. Let us know what your research shows.

The closest airport to Vernal is Salt Lake City and for you guys from the east, there are only a few airlines that fly into it, not like the dozens that fly into an east coast airport. Delta and United both fly into it, and maybe some others, not sure which though. Denver would probably have more airlines going into it but it would be farther away and you would have to drive over the rockys, which might make for an interesting trip in late Nov. if the weather turns nasty.
    Last edited by Dirthawking; 09-02-2011 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by muwala View Post
    The closest airport to Vernal is Salt Lake City and for you guys from the east, there are only a few airlines that fly into it, not like the dozens that fly into an east coast airport. Delta and United both fly into it, and maybe some others, not sure which though. Denver would probably have more airlines going into it but it would be farther away and you would have to drive over the rockys, which might make for an interesting trip in late Nov. if the weather turns nasty.
    There used to be an airport in Vernal, I learned to fly there. Is it not there anymore....?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    There used to be an airport in Vernal, I learned to fly there. Is it not there anymore....?
    The airport is still there.

The airline that serves it keeps rotating around though. Looks like that is currently Great Lakes Airlines.

Those tiny regional airports are fun.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post

Those tiny regional airports are fun.

Oh indeed they are......................
    Bill

Me and my dad are flying out on United Airlines to Salt Lake City. From what I gather, United is one of the only airlines that will allow you to fly your birds out as checked baggage. I'm hoping everything is going to work out smoothly.
    Pat Moreland

Quote Originally Posted by harrishawker21 View Post
    Me and my dad are flying out on United Airlines to Salt Lake City. From what I gather, United is one of the only airlines that will allow you to fly your birds out as checked baggage. I'm hoping everything is going to work out smoothly.

Pat,

Not sure of the size of the bird but make sure you have the correct carry-on size for the pet container or they will not let you on. You may already know this, just a friendly reminder.

Please let us know how it goes.
    Chris Lynn

Yea we called United and they gave us information as to what is allowed and whats not. Were definately bringing our 2 HH's out right now but depending on what happens during trapping season we may add another to the mix.My dad has gone to several NAFA meets and most of the time he flew out to them but, he hasn't done it since 9-11. I'm praying everything is going to work out fine cause I can't wait!
    Pat Moreland

Thanks for the info Pat! Good to hear some other Falconers from MD will be making the trip. I am still checking into this as well, I'll let you know what I figure out. I have a female Hh that I want to fly with, will leave my dogs behind this time. So far I had been looking at shipping my hawk separately but if I can arrange to fly with her as checked baggage that would be ideal. I plan to look for a direct flight to SLC and rent a car, even if I have to drive as far as NY or DC on this end.
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Ken,

When are you going to arrive? Lets get together to fly the harris hawks again! I will be there early, November 16th, and leave that next Wednesday. When are you going to make it? Where are you staying? I sure hope we can get some flying time together. Be safe in your travels.
    Chris Lynn

Ken,

When are you going to arrive? Lets get together to fly the harris hawks again! I will be there early, November 16th, and leave that next Wednesday. When are you going to make it? Where are you staying? I sure hope we can get some flying time together. Be safe in your travels.
    Woohoo, I am booked!! I'm so excited I can't stand it... I didn't think I was going to make it this year because it's so far and I've got a lot going on, but I decided to just go for it and deal with the consequences later. I would love to do some hawking with you again!

I'm coming in on the 16th, and leaving on the 23rd... and staying at the Sage hotel (thanks for arranging the discount!).

For those that are curious, I've got a direct flight and reserved a spot for my hawk to fly as checked baggage. My flight was cheaper than it would cost to drive, and will only take me 4 hours to get there. I'm hoping the shorter travel time will actually be better for the hawk than the long ride in the truck. For costs, I figured it ends up being the same price or slightly cheaper to fly to the meet including the rental car costs and airline pet fees, etc.

Now I just have to do the NAFA registration, line up the health cert paperwork, and figure out how to fly with all my hawking clothes and gear.

See you there!!!
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Pat,

Not sure of the size of the bird but make sure you have the correct carry-on size for the pet container or they will not let you on. You may already know this, just a friendly reminder.

Please let us know how it goes.
    With all the great Giant Hood manufactuers out there these days, has anyone made one that is airline approved? You dont have to use a pet crate from a store, and getting an airline approved carrier is as simple as pulling up the FAA requirements and designing around them.

The most simple one is that it has to have ventilation holes on at least three sides. This is because the airline needs to be able to pack boxes tightly around it, and if it is only ventilated on one side that may be blocked by nearby bagage. That is also part of the reason why dog/cat crates are not shapes with square sides. Having angled sides makes it much harder to block things up by packing around it.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

Geoff

Yes the hoods I made were airline approved. I have shipped bird all over the USA with my PVC giant hoods. They also have to have a carry handle and a lock.

I forgot to add the birds were shipped as cargo. Not carry on. The hoods are to big for carry on
    Chris Lynn

Geoff

Yes the hoods I made were airline approved. I have shipped bird all over the USA with my PVC giant hoods. They also have to have a carry handle and a lock.

I forgot to add the birds were shipped as cargo. Not carry on. The hoods are to big for carry on
    Do you still make them? If so, can you point me to some info about them?

I am in the market for replacing my Giant Hoods. I was planning on building a nice one out of wood this summer, but I may have to opt for buying one or using the old beat up ugly ones for one more season.

Default A what?

What is going on at the meet and why would I want to go? Is there a schedule of events somewhere? I saw the post on NAFA about the meet and saw this one here but so far it's all geared toward people who already know they want to go. What if I can only come for a day or two, how do I know which days to come for what interests me? Help me out here.
    Gary
    "And while you're at it, keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul."

Default Top Ten Reasons Why I to go to the NAFA Meet . . .

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdawg View Post
    What is going on at the meet and why would I want to go? Is there a schedule of events somewhere? I saw the post on NAFA about the meet and saw this one here but so far it's all geared toward people who already know they want to go. What if I can only come for a day or two, how do I know which days to come for what interests me? Help me out here.
    It's become almost an annual pilgrimage for me. This will be my 40th NAFA Meet since joining in 1966. I go to

1. Visit with old falconer friends from all over the country.

2. Make new ones (hey, the old ones were new ones, once ).

3. Listen to interesting speakers/presentations in the evenings, attend workshops, catch up and/or learn more on the national issues regarding falconry, and get insight from other falconers flying the same and/or different species.

4. Try my luck at the awesome Nightly/Grand Finale Raffles.

5. Get Meet prints, memorabilia to make sure my bookshelves and walls at home are not empty.

6. Hunt game species and/or be in country I don't have at home - great photo ops.

7. Buy stuff direct from the vendors that are there, discuss their products' uses, issues, etc.

8. Great road trip! I just punch up Bobby Seger's "Roll Me Away" every time I roll up onto the interstate highway headed to the Meet!

9. Gets my head right from whatever cares and concerns bother me at home.

10. Contribute some time and effort to the sport that has given me so much joy for so much of my life!

shutterdawg, if I only had a few days to be there, I'd pick Wed-Fri to make the nightly raffles, the NAFA Business Mtg, the Thanksgiving feast and any Thursday evening presentation, and, of course, the Friday night Banquet and Speaker along with the Grand Finale Raffle. Yes, it's expensive to go these days, but heck, you want to die having money in your jeans and no lifelong valued experiences in your heart? Didn't think so. See ya there!

Oh, and my old friends reading this, be sure and give me heck and tell me what I've forgotten that is one of YOUR good reasons (that isn't listed here) for going to the NAFA Meet.
    Greg Thomas - Indiana
    NAFA DAL 2010-19

I just like the environment, there is a certain electricity in the air, I can feel it when I enter Vernal. The people, the birds, the dogs, the prey ......

I find it very enjoyable to bump into a Falconer I don't know and instantly have a bond, talking and learning about people is very fulfilling, I like to hear other peoples stories and I like to hunt with other peoples birds. I'm just as excited to see Jim's bird catch a rabbit as I am my own.
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

Greg, you should be the NAFA Meet poster child! You sold me after #3. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to look into joining NAFA (do you have to be a member to attend?) and costs of that and registration, etc. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...
    Gary
    "And while you're at it, keep the nightlight on inside the birdhouse in your soul."

Greg, you should be the NAFA Meet poster child! You sold me after #3. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to look into joining NAFA (do you have to be a member to attend?) and costs of that and registration, etc. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...
    You do have to be a member but can join at the meet. Cost depends on you. Want to go to the banquet? get an extra shirt? hat? mug? Raffle tix? etc. I think my registration with membership renewal and my daughter attending was somewhere around $200. You could do it on the cheap for probably $80 - $100 depending on weather or not you want to go to the banquet.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

. And get my wife to agree that Thanksgiving is better spent with live birds in Vernal than dead birds at the in-laws. Not sure if that'll fly...

Pun totally intended correct!
    http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    Do you still make them? If so, can you point me to some info about them?

I am in the market for replacing my Giant Hoods. I was planning on building a nice one out of wood this summer, but I may have to opt for buying one or using the old beat up ugly ones for one more season.
    Hi Geoff,

No I am sorry I do not. I do not have the PVC supplier like I did when I lived in Sc. They are made of expanded pvc 1/4. Have a look at this thread and PM if you need any help. They are great and I still have my original one. Its still looks great and is going strong. http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?t=4720 Also contact Laj on here. He makes some out of ABS. Both materials make great hoods that will last forever.
    Chris Lynn

Default Coops quarry?

Anyone know what kind of quarry might be available for a female coops in Vernal? She has taken pheasant, rabbit (western cottontails though, probably smaller than those in UT?), quail and duck (Northern Shoveler). I have no idea what to expect in Vernal!
    Simone
    Washington State

Quote Originally Posted by SimoneBird View Post
    Anyone know what kind of quarry might be available for a female coops in Vernal? She has taken pheasant, rabbit (western cottontails though, probably smaller than those in UT?), quail and duck (Northern Shoveler). I have no idea what to expect in Vernal!
    There are all those exact species (and more) in a 100 mile radius of Vernal, UT.

The area has five varieties of cavy, White-tailed Jacks, Black-tailed Jacks, Mountain Cotton-tail (slightly smaller than their eastern cousins, in my experience, and in much different terrain), Pigmy Rabbit (very small populations; recommend we don’t harvest) and Snowshoe hare.

Pheasant and California quail are hard to come by, and mostly on private land. But it’s doable.

Many species of waterfowl at your mercy, in a variety of settings (from big water to streams/rivers, to irrigation ponds)

Much of the area is like eastern Washington State (kinda), although a little drier and higher elevation. Typical steppe country, high desert sage, grass farmland, and mountain country.

Vehicles with 4x4 would be HIGHLY recommended however.

As far as the female coop's goes, there are some Eurasian Collared doves in town (lots of 'em), as well as starlings, sparrows, and a variety of ground and tree squirrels (most ground squirrels will probably be hibernating by then though.)

Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

Thread Information