Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 2011 NAFA Meet in Vernal, Utah

My vet left a message and got a call back rather promptly. No issues at all.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    Anyone having trouble getting an entry permit?? Utah is not responding to my vet's requests or returning phone calls
    No not at all. It was really painless.

Keep trying dude!
    Chris Lynn
    -Owner and Admin of NAFEX.net.

So, does anyone know if Utah is 3.2? Gotta know if we need to stock up on beer before we leave or can buy it there.
    Brandi

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Owl View Post
    So, does anyone know if Utah is 3.2? Gotta know if we need to stock up on beer before we leave or can buy it there.
    State liquor stores.....stock up!! Kim & I am!!!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Some hawking buddies landed there yesterday and caught three bunnies today. They said they saw 5 or 6 jacks but it was slim pickens at the traditional spots. They were expanding their search parameters today.

Have to sit this one out this year but good luck and safe travels to all of you.
    Phil Smith
    Rolla, MO (By way of Neah Bay, WA; Yakima, WA, Stanwood, WA; Anchorage, AK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lowachi View Post
    State liquor stores.....stock up!! Kim & I am!!!
    I remember the state liquor stores, but the question was about the alcohol content. Anyone know the answer?
    Krys Langevin

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    I remember the state liquor stores, but the question was about the alcohol content. Anyone know the answer?
    You can buy full strength beer at the state liquor stores, 3.2 from grocery stores.

http://www.utah.com/visitor/state_facts/liquor_laws.htm
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    You can buy full strength beer at the state liquor stores, 3.2 from grocery stores.

Gotcha. Thanks!
    Krys Langevin

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig;[URL="tel:217038"
    217038[/URL]]So when's everyone getting into town?
    Monday or Tuesday depends on the weather and hunting in KS.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi;[URL="tel:217769"
    217769[/URL]]You can buy full strength beer at the state liquor stores, 3.2 from grocery stores.

I might bring some 3.2 home.
    Fred Seaman
    “Ask, Listen, Learn, Grow”

Default Bailing

The NAFA meet is not looking good for me at all this year. I have a 10 yr old son with severe anemia (not the one in my avatar) who is requiring blood transfusions to stay alive. If any of you know your blood, his hemoglobin was 3.5 g/dL on Thurs. Unfortunately, the frequency of those transfusions is increasing to every other week. He had 2 units this past Fri and 10-14 days falls right on Thanksgiving week.

I _could_ come up by myself, but I'm not comfortable leaving home under these conditions. I think I"ll probably cancel my Motel 6 reservations and bail. Hate to miss it, but there are sometimes more important things.
    Bryan Kimsey

Quote Originally Posted by NMHighPlains View Post
    The NAFA meet is not looking good for me at all this year. I have a 10 yr old son with severe anemia (not the one in my avatar) who is requiring blood transfusions to stay alive. If any of you know your blood, his hemoglobin was 3.5 g/dL on Thurs. Unfortunately, the frequency of those transfusions is increasing to every other week. He had 2 units this past Fri and 10-14 days falls right on Thanksgiving week.

I _could_ come up by myself, but I'm not comfortable leaving home under these conditions. I think I"ll probably cancel my Motel 6 reservations and bail. Hate to miss it, but there are sometimes more important things.
    Bryan,

That is not good news to hear. Hope things turn around soon. Your priorities are certainly in the right place.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Default Hunting locations?

Would love to get a PM from anybody who has been to Vernal and would share hunting locations. I have a Tiercel RT and Tiercel Goss and I'm hoping for a black tail jack, cottontails and ducks.

Maybe I could tag along as well with a group?

Ian Hollaman
    Ian Hollaman

Bryan that is very low, what are his oxygen sats when it's that low?! Are his platelets ok? I am so sorry

If you need anything please dont hesitate to call
    Chris Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Chris L. View Post
    Bryan that is very low, what are his oxygen sats when it's that low?! Are his platelets ok? I am so sorry

If you need anything please dont hesitate to call
    Oxygen is usually around 97-100%. Platelets run from 22k to 50k.

As of Friday, we have a preliminary diagnosis of porphyria from the Mayo Clinic. More testing to commence, of course.

Thanks,
    Bryan Kimsey

Bryan,

Best wishes for your son. If anyone can help him get better it's the Mayo Clinic.
    Ryan - Boise, ID
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Oxygen is usually around 97-100%. Platelets run from 22k to 50k.

As of Friday, we have a preliminary diagnosis of porphyria from the Mayo Clinic. More testing to commence, of course.

Thanks,
    Im so sorry Bryan, Please hang in there... We are hoping the best for you and your son.
    Chris Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
    Hmmm...trying to get my 5 day license but I don't see it in the available options...I thought I had till midnight, but maybe not?
    5 day license are back online,I got one yesterday.

Chris
    Comeaux
    IT'S NOT THE KILL...IT'S THE THRILL OF THE CHASE!

"Emperor Coon Ass"

Quote Originally Posted by mewskeeper View Post
    5 day license are back online,I got one yesterday.

Chris

From the meet chair.......

Hunting Licenses
    I stopped by the local Division of Wildife Resources office to confirm that they had recieved the 5 day Meet hunting licenses. I was told that they had decided not to print the licenses due to costs and the fact that they had no idea how many to print. Rather, they are still offered online and will be until the Meet is over. If you don't have computer access, well, you're probably not reading this but, for those who don't they can still go to the DWR office. However, the process will be to stand in line and use one of their computers to do it online. My advice is to purchase the license online and print it out now. To purchase online go to https://secure.utah.gov/serv1-hflo/hflo/login
    Krys Langevin

Ha! Saw the email and got mine today!

Made it to Rock Springs, WY. 2" of snow & zilch visibility. Staying here til morning and will try the rest of the way in the daylite. Thanks for the heads up on the licence, 'dog!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Hey all,
    Richard (muwala) and I are staying at the Motel 6 just a few blocks down from the Meet hotel. I'm here with a passage female RT that just had her first free flight and we're going to see if we can get her on a CT.
    We'll be at the shrimp boil and the banquet, got in late last night and will be staying the full week.
    Anyone else at the Motel 6? Would love to go out with a few folks from here, hope to see you around.
    ~~~Ally~~~ Missoula, MT
    If you dislike a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, you are a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

I'll be there wednesday evening and can't wait. Does anyone know where I can find the meet itinerary online I've been searching but can't seem to find it. I was mainly wondering what was happening wednesday evening when I arrive. After that It should be easy to figure out.
    Darren Lemieux

Quote Originally Posted by DLemieux View Post
    I'll be there wednesday evening and can't wait. Does anyone know where I can find the meet itinerary online I've been searching but can't seem to find it. I was mainly wondering what was happening wednesday evening when I arrive. After that It should be easy to figure out.
    Darren, that is an excellent idea to have the meet itinerary online but nobody gave it to me to put there. I will add that to my list of things to add to the Meet page next year. Thanks for the idea! Have fun at the meet, wish I were there.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Darren, that is an excellent idea to have the meet itinerary online but nobody gave it to me to put there. I will add that to my list of things to add to the Meet page next year. Thanks for the idea! Have fun at the meet, wish I were there.
    I know I saw it somewhere. Was it in the latest Hawk Chalk? Or maybe in a presidents report e-mail? If anyone has it could they please post it.
    Darren Lemieux

Default Update please

I know it is hard to break from the field, seminars and bird talk, but how about an update on the hunting? Is there much quarry? Weather?
    Sue
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by DirtHawker View Post
    I know it is hard to break from the field, seminars and bird talk, but how about an update on the hunting? Is there much quarry? Weather?
    Sue
    Rabbits are hard hard hard to find. Been here 6 days now. Caught 5 cts and today FINALLY saw out first jack and caught it. Saw only 2 more after that. What no one bothered to tell anyone was that according to the DNR the pop crashed 4 years ago and then 2 years ago a tuleremia outbreak nearly finished them off.

Weather is great. Snowed Sat/Sun/Mon. Now the highs are in the 40's.

Having a blast. Great friends and great scenery!
    Krys Langevin

Here's the Meet Itinerary I had from my email:
    Sunday, 11/20/2011
    1:00—6:00 PM Registration (Weston Plaza)
    7:00 PM Orientation Meeting (Weston Plaza)

Monday, 11/21
    1:00—3:00 PM Old Timers Meet & Greet
    1:00—3:00 PM Registration
    7:00—8:30 PM Aspergillosis Findings—Steve Layman

Tuesday, 11/22
    8:00—Noon NAFA Open Board Meeting
    1:30—5:00 PM NAFA Strategic Planning Meeting
    7:00—8:00 PM Annual NAFA Business Meeting

Wednesday, 11/23
    Noon—? Marshall Telemetry Fox Hunt
    7:00—8:30 PM NAFA Meets in Review—Cliff Kellogg

Thursday, 11/24
    At your Leisure Thanksgiving Dinner
    7:00—8:30 Accipiter Food Relations— Steve Layman

Friday, 11/25
    9:00 AM—Noon Sky Trials Demonstration Flights
    7:00—8:30 PM NAFA Banquet

Saturday, 11/26 Collapse on couch and dream of that Goshawk I just haven’t been able to trap.

My passage RT got her first and second hunts, and had a great wingover and crash on a CT this afternoon but just barely missed.
    The most slips I've seen was when I was out with Krys and Michael on Monday morning, since then it's been kind of hit and miss. We got about 5 CT slips for Geoff's goshawk this morning, 2 for my RT in the afternoon, and 2 for an ornate hawk eagle yesterday. I'm with Krys...bunnies are suuuupppeeerrr hard to find. I think he may be the only person to take a jack so far, yes? (congrats by the way!!!)
    ~~~Ally~~~ Missoula, MT
    If you dislike a person, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, you are a mile away from them, and have their shoes.

Happy Thanksgiving Nafex friends!!!

I just got home from the meet, and had a great time! I was glad I got to hang out with some other Nafex folks this time. Yes, it was tough finding game this year, you had to really work for it and put in a lot of walking, driving, scouting, walk some more, etc. It reminds me of something one of my duck hunting friends used to say, if it were easy we'd have to call it "killing and catching" instead of "hunting and fishing" ... But the scenery was fantastic and so were the fine friends to spend it with. I only caught one rabbit on my own out there, was hoping to catch a jack on this trip... but I did get to see Krys and Heather get one and that was awesome too. I think we must have been at least 2 miles from the truck or more with nothing else in sight in any direction. You gotta realize how cool that is for an east coast hawker like me where it's rare to hunt anywhere so remote and peaceful. I spent a bit of time hawking alone with just my HH, probably 20 miles or more from the closest blacktop, and it's cool how quiet it is... no cars, houses, or people for miles and miles in any direction. At one point I was walking up a rocky canyon alone to scout out a spot where I had seen a roadkilled jack, and I realized that if I fell or something, I could't even explain on the phone to someone where I was. Maybe not too smart in hindsight. But yeah, there were jacks out there if you worked for it. Chris and I got at least 3 or 4 flights on jacks, you really had to put in some miles walking for them. Although we did bump one 10 feet from the truck at one point before we even unloaded the hawks... that's how it works sometimes.

Maybe I will post some pics later.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone! Hope to see everyone next year!

(... And I hope everyone has a safe trip home. )
    -Ken
    (Maryland/Pennsylvania)

Default happy Thanksgiving to all!

Ken, glad to hear you returned home safely. I really appreciated your time, freindship and advice while you were here in Vernal. I am also glad that you enjoyed our area so much. I know how you feel about being out in the open space with the quite. There were many times I would just sit and listen to the sounds of those wetlands we hunted that day. To bad the Rabbit pop's are so far down. Look forward to seeing you next year in Nebraska
    Rex Hall

Thread Information