Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
One problem with high hotel rate at Dodge City, other than paying a lot for sub standard facilities, or so I was told, is that it set a precedent for future meets. I'm sure the management of the this years hotel called the Dodge City hotel to ask questions about having a convention of falconers, and I'm sure one of the questions was what room rate did they charge. These things tend to perpetuate themselves...
Good point, Paul. Something for the Board to discuss this year, for sure. Another thing we've forgotten that affects hotel rates is that the municipal fathers tax everything they can to milk the "outsiders" who don't vote there. And I'm not just talking about the hotel taxes you can see; they nail the hotel owners in sundry ways that roll on through as overhead that pushes the rates up.

But, hey, what are we going to do about it? There was a move some time back to buy out local Mom and Pop RV parks and consolidate them into a national system where they could offer somewhat nicer, more consistent facilities/other perks AND charge more.

I remember when Jim Weaver used to camp in his tepee no matter how cold it was I figure my body has a long time ahead in a cold grave, so I think I'll keep it comfortable while I'm still here !