Thread: Central NY Rookie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Central NY Rookie

Hey guys and gals, this is a fantastic forum you have here, feels like home! I'm currently doing my best to complete all the prerequisites necessary to acquire my apprentice license. I recently completed my test and did well, so that's one down. I'm beginning my search for a sponsor to share some wisdom with me, and doing some thinking about what my plans are as far as my first bird choice (kestrel vs red tail). Had an opportunity to watch a kestrel in action recently and I was impressed with the tenacity of her, taking mice and starlings. I still am most likely to choose the red tail (the most common choice from what I understand), but I'm certainly not positive about that (and many other things too haha). Though I'm sure my future sponsor will be able to point me in the right direction. Well I guess thats enough rambling for a first post , Once again thanks for having me!

Toadstool
    Welcome to our world, Cortland has some great hawking, we have held our meets there for several years.
    You have a few falconers in your area you should be able to find a sponsor down there, they are a good bunch of guy's.

Alan Scott
    Alan Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    Toadstool
    Welcome to our world, Cortland has some great hawking, we have held our meets there for several years.
    You have a few falconers in your area you should be able to find a sponsor down there, they are a good bunch of guy's.

Alan Scott
    Rachael S.

Toadstool,

Welcome! One of the few rules here is that posts be signed with your real name (at least first name). You can make this automatic by going into the User CP and setting it there. It's just to keep things more honest and friendly. Thanks!
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

to NAFEX, but we need a name on your post. One of the few rules. You can go to the User CP and have it added auto. Sounds like you are well on your way for a bird in the fall.
    EVERET K. HORTON, MICHIGAN
    Game is the name of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    Rachael
    Is that where you moved to?
    Alan Scott

Rachael
    Is that where you moved to?
    No, just moved down the road, literally. You're welcome to come hawking sometime when the season opens again, I won't try to watch because I know you've got shy girls. But we have plenty of land and game. I've been fattening up the rabbits and squirrels. Every morning with my coffee in one hand, I look out my window and see them eating and say, "that's right my pretties, get all nice and fat".
    Rachael S.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    No, just moved down the road, literally. You're welcome to come hawking sometime when the season opens again, I won't try to watch because I know you've got shy girls. But we have plenty of land and game. I've been fattening up the rabbits and squirrels. Every morning with my coffee in one hand, I look out my window and see them eating and say, "that's right my pretties, get all nice and fat".
    Haha! That is a good idea, I might steal that one myself. Not that the squirrels and cottontails around the house aren't already fairly tame, gluttonous, hawkfood. Soon they may be in for a nasty surprise though
    Anthony Scott - Apprentice -"My Lord Protector's hawks do tower so well; They know their master loves to be aloft And bears his thoughts above his falcon's pitch.”

Toadstool

Alan Scott
    Hmmm. Is that so? My daughter is going off to college in Albany so maybe I will need to make regular visits............
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    Hmmm. Is that so? My daughter is going off to college in Albany so maybe I will need to make regular visits............
    Hi Ron
    I only hawked in the Albany area once many moons ago, not sure how the hawking is there.
    Alan Scott

Hi Ron
    I only hawked in the Albany area once many moons ago, not sure how the hawking is there.
    But Cortland is a mere 3 hour drive from Albany. I could spend more time than than locating a single bunny in Vermont. More importantly I could spend more time than that and NOT locate one.
    Ron N1WT Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by rkumetz View Post
    But Cortland is a mere 3 hour drive from Albany. I could spend more time than than locating a single bunny in Vermont. More importantly I could spend more time than that and NOT locate one.
    I think you wouldn't have a problem finding any in Cortland plenty of farms.
    Alan Scott

Thread Information