Thread: Southeastern Director Nominee Michael Beran

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
    MUCH MUCH easier, things are running so much smoother now and NAFA is overall in a good place, in my opinion.

Within a few months of me taking office 4 years ago our agendas were up to 20 items (most of them nonsense) and we came out of those meetings bruised and bloody but right now there is a great group of directors that are working together for the members.

Read through and understand the Constitution and Bylaws as well as the policies and proceedures manual (that's a fun read) and you'll certainly be ahead of the learning curve.

And good luck in the election.
    I'd agree that NAFA is indeed overall in a good place thanks in no small part to the efforts of people like Eric Edwards and other NAFA directors who are not afraid to get involved, speak their minds and make an concerted effort to affect some meaningful changes to the organization.

Regards,
    Jon D.

Quote Originally Posted by jondarp View Post
    I'd agree that NAFA is indeed overall in a good place thanks in no small part to the efforts of people like Eric Edwards and other NAFA directors who are not afraid to get involved, speak their minds and make an concerted effort to affect some meaningful changes to the organization.

Regards,
    thanks to all for their efforts in my/our behalf. I appreciate it!!!!!
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

I've had several requests about what I've done as in Falconry.

I was raised in the swamps of Louisiana around Catahoula Lake in central Louisiana, a child of the 70's I always had a bird of some sort around, in 1973 I rescued a crow and free flew it around the house, in 1975 I rescued a young Red Shoulder Hawk and flew it for three years, never jessed it, never caged it just hunted craw-fish and frogs with it, for all accounts it was a free bird, but when I called it down with a leopard frog (it's favorite) it would come right away.

2003 I received my Falconry permit, I didn't know about NAFA that year, flew a RT "tweener", 2004 was my first NAFA meet in Garden City, KS (have attended everyone since then), released 1st RT, trapped and flew another RT, then a CB HH, in 2006 I traveled to AZ, Tuscon and trapped a passage HH, in 2009 I trapped another passage HH. 2009 was the year I imprinted a male Saker Falcon for an abatement job I was doing, turned out a perfect imprint, flying puppy dog and not a peep. 2010 I imprinted an EEO to hunt Jackrabbits with but the Film industry side tracked me, we have done a few films and a few commercials, currently I am imprinting two Saker Falcons, a brother/sister combo to fly this fall.

I'm active with the Texas Hawking Association, I teach an apprentice work shop for the summer picnic and I've done apprentice workshops during the winter meets.

I've hunted most of the central states and enjoy gang hawking HH's with other Falconers, I enjoy the company of other Falconers and really love the different meets I've attended.
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

Interesting personal story:

I'm securing funds for a large project coming up and I'm seeking the money from the private sector, one of the possible sources paid to have me take a personality test, very complex test, over 300 questions.

The results came in the mail Saturday.

Does anyone what to hear the results of this test?
    Michael Beran, NAFA Southeastern Director "If it is to be, then it is up to me!"

Quote Originally Posted by michaelberan View Post
    Interesting personal story:

I'm securing funds for a large project coming up and I'm seeking the money from the private sector, one of the possible sources paid to have me take a personality test, very complex test, over 300 questions.

The results came in the mail Saturday.

Does anyone what to hear the results of this test?
    Given that most falconers are slightly unhinged, I'd love to know

OK Tony you asked for it!

And I know this is "putting it out there" but I am who I am and thats what I am, wouldn't you like to know who your voting for ..... for a change?

It says I'm and "I/D" personality : Influence/Dominance, Interest in People/Directness, Witty/Task Oriented, Easy Going/Decisive, Outgoing/Organized

"I/D's" are persuaders who are outgoing and energetic. They enjoy large groups and use their power of influence to attain respect and convince people to fallow their lead. Sometimes they can be viewed as figity and nervous, BUT it comes from their need to be a part of challenges that have verity, freedom and mobility. "I/D's" could benefit from looking before they leap and spending more time being studious and still. They make inspiring leaders and know how to get results from and through people.

"Now the nitty gritty"
    Opportunities for Personal Growth:

If you are an "I/D"
    A. Weigh the pros and cons before making a decision; be less impulsive
    B. Remember to help with tasks more
    C. Exercise control over your actions, words and emotions
    D. Focus more on details and facts
    E. Remember to slow down your pace for other people
    F. Talk less; listen more

Having a sales background I've taken several of these over the years and they have always been very accurate AND I'm always exploring opportunities for personal growth.

Opportunities for Personal Growth:

A. Weigh the pros and cons before making a decision; be less impulsive
    B. Remember to help with tasks more
    C. Exercise control over your actions, words and emotions
    D. Focus more on details and facts
    E. Remember to slow down your pace for other people
    F. Talk less; listen more
    I can only imagine, if you take that advice, you could be a real asset to NAFA

Best of luck,

Tony.

I've had several requests about what I've done as in Falconry.
    Hi Michael,

I keep thinking about this, as I remember some of the most inspirational and valuable 'workers' in the various falconry clubs and associations I've had contact with.

Strangely, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there seems to be no connection between a falconer's experience or ability in the field, and their ability to provide valuable service to the members.

Sure, some of those members use any perceived inadequacy in falconry terms as a stick with which to beat you, and for sure it's nice to have a record that prevents them doing so, but in truth some of the finest defenders of falconry, and some of the most useful and committed 'club men' I've known, have not always been the best falconers.

I'm assuming the post of director calls for an understanding of 'direction' and good policy, commitment and a host of skills that may be used for the benefit of others, and yet the first thing we all want to know of anyone standing for election is, "What are your falconry credentials"?

Sorry, just thinking out loud.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Strangely, but perhaps unsurprisingly, there seems to be no connection between a falconer's experience or ability in the field, and their ability to provide valuable service to the members.
    This may be true, but I want gamehawkers running my club, not petkeepers or rehabbers. THA members recently elected a rehabber as a director and his first directors report was a pathetic paragraph. You reap what you sow.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    This may be true, but I want gamehawkers running my club, not petkeepers or rehabbers. THA members recently elected a rehabber as a director and his first directors report was a pathetic paragraph. You reap what you sow.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    Hi Krys,

sorry, I was taking that much for granted (nobody is keener than me to preserve the distinction between falconers and others with an interest in birds of prey).
    But, the best falconer may not necessarily prove to be the best servant of a falconry organisation, nor the best representative of other falconers.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    Hi Krys,

sorry, I was taking that much for granted (nobody is keener than me to preserve the distinction between falconers and others with an interest in birds of prey).
    But, the best falconer may not necessarily prove to be the best servant of a falconry organisation, nor the best representative of other falconers.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    I agree with you on that 100%.
    Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

Thread Information