Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peregrine training books

Default Peregrine training books

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books for Peregrine training? In B. Haak's The Hunting Falcon - he refers to British authors as having the really good books for training the Peregrine but do not mention what they are. If anyone has some ideas or knows of any American books that are any better please post ideas. Just about anything in general that actually concentrates on the Peregrine. Thanks in advance. My library is getting bigger and my account is getting smaller but I love tracking down various books to get different perspectives on this wonderful sport.
    A.J.
    Litchfield Park, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books for Peregrine training? In B. Haak's The Hunting Falcon - he refers to British authors as having the really good books for training the Peregrine but do not mention what they are. If anyone has some ideas or knows of any American books that are any better please post ideas. Just about anything in general that actually concentrates on the Peregrine. Thanks in advance. My library is getting bigger and my account is getting smaller but I love tracking down various books to get different perspectives on this wonderful sport.
    The best Peregrine book would be the Flying of falcons, Ed is a Peregrine guy through and through..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Proctor View Post
    The best Peregrine book would be the Flying of falcons, Ed is a Peregrine guy through and through..
    I agree, if you have the space and the birds at yer disposal. May I reccomend Ray Turner's" Game Hawk Field & Moor" as well. Spent some time with Ed, years ago, and learned alot, but I found this book enlightning as well.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

So what do you mean if you have the space and birds? Just getting some incite...$85 for a book that doesn't have a lot of a description on the website. The example pages is more talking about his experience rather than how I've read other sample pages. I hope I don't come across as bagging on the guys, its just not he usual type sample readings I'm used to. More incite please.... LOL.... thanks.
    A.J.
    Litchfield Park, Arizona

So what do you mean if you have the space and birds? Just getting some incite...$85 for a book that doesn't have a lot of a description on the website. The example pages is more talking about his experience rather than how I've read other sample pages. I hope I don't come across as bagging on the guys, its just not he usual type sample readings I'm used to. More incite please.... LOL.... thanks.
    I think he means space to fly a large falcon, since falcons eat up the sky. $85 for a book that will teach you how to understand the falcon, fly it the way it was born to fly according to it's genetic make up (Gyr Vs. Pere..etc) and why falcons do what the do is well worth it coming from a guy who knows how to fly falcons. If you're looking for a cheap alternative, may I suggest just finding a good longwinger in your area and go flying with them?

The good falconry books will always be the more costly ones..

"Falconry: art and practice" by Roger Upton is another good book fucosed lonely on the training of the peregrines in the middle of the XX century. Its one of my main favourite books.

"The art of falconry" by Fredrick II is another no time read with excellent knowledge about the training of the peregrines and another falcons. Its another one of my main favourite books.

You will go right with this two books despite that they were published long time ago.
    Roberto. Mexico City.

More incite please.... LOL.... thanks.
    I love the book. VERY informative, but don't take my word for it. There's a handy dandy search feature on NAFEX.........

http://www.nafex.net/showthread.php?...flying+falcons

Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

If you're looking for a book on the peregrine written in the UK, you can't do better than "Observations on Modern Falconry" by Robert Stevens.

Stevens knew the peregrine.

Great chapter on hooding. Small book, lots of knowledge inside.

Good luck, Dan.
    Dan, aka oldguy.

If you want to go British then add "The Art and Pracise of Hawking" by E.B. Michell to the list. Ronald Steven's and Ray Turner's books are my other favorites. Ed Pitcher's book is intriguing but, not a beginners book. Ed's philosophy requires a lot of self examination to apply to one's own situation, he has the insight into the Peregrine's brain finely presented, but flying one like he does will not apply to everyone's hawking grounds. Definitely a recommended book though, I love it.
    Bob
    1 John 3:23

Quote Originally Posted by Pedioecetes View Post
    If you want to go British then add "The Art and Pracise of Hawking" by E.B. Michell to the list. Ronald Steven's and Ray Turner's books are my other favorites. Ed Pitcher's book is intriguing but, not a beginners book. Ed's philosophy requires a lot of self examination to apply to one's own situation, he has the insight into the Peregrine's brain finely presented, but flying one like he does will not apply to everyone's hawking grounds. Definitely a recommended book though, I love it.
    Thanks Bob,
    I wasn't very eloquent after working a double yesterday. Thanks for clearing that up some.
    Rich in Illinois....
    "Man has emerged from the shadows of antiquity with a Peregrine on his wrist......."

Quote Originally Posted by frootdog View Post
    I love the book. VERY informative, but don't take my word for it.
    Doubt we'll be seeing it on Reading Rainbow....
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Proctor View Post
    I think he means space to fly a large falcon, since falcons eat up the sky.

$85 for a book that will teach you how to understand the falcon, fly it the way it was born to fly according to it's genetic make up (Gyr Vs. Pere..etc) and why falcons do what the do is well worth it coming from a guy who knows how to fly falcons.
    Right. And by "...birds" he means that you stand a good chance of losing your bird when you teach them to hunt the big sky rather than waiting on directly overhead like a falcon on a string. Ed's pretty up-front about the fact that you're more likely to lose the bird, too.

Agree on the 2nd point, too. It actually costs about $105 by the time it gets delivered to your door.
    Bryan Kimsey

Quote Originally Posted by TiercelR View Post
    "Falconry: art and practice" by Roger Upton
    The right title is "Falconry: principles and practice" by Roger Upton. Sorry
    Roberto. Mexico City.

Thanks all. I am by no means saying price is the factor. I was just saying with the sort of vague description, I wanted to make sure it had what I wanted. We all know we can't go to Barnes and Noble and thumb through them first. I love getting the perspectives from all sorts of people and eras. Keep titles coming... I want good reading material.
    A.J.
    Litchfield Park, Arizona

Gamehawk is a great book, but is pricey now, (probably $500 plus). Ronald Stevens books have all recently been republished so should be very affordable.

Some others worth considering are:

The Art and Practice of Falconry by the Hon Gerald Lascelles
    Hints on Hawking by James Harting
    The Falcons Lure and Cure by Symon Latham

The first two were published in the Victorian days, Latham's book was published in the 1600's. It is written in old English which takes a while to get used to, but it is a gem.

Regards

Alex

Thanks all. I am by no means saying price is the factor. I was just saying with the sort of vague description, I wanted to make sure it had what I wanted. We all know we can't go to Barnes and Noble and thumb through them first. I love getting the perspectives from all sorts of people and eras. Keep titles coming... I want good reading material.
    Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

So far as good reading material about peregrines goes, you've had some great advice already.
    I'd suggest, reading between the lines, that Ronald Stevens' Observations on Modern Falconry should be first on your shopping list. Perhaps not entirely applicable to your hawking aspirations, but possibly the best thing ever written to acquaint the reader with the peregrine as a hawking partner.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Stokes View Post
    Gamehawk is a great book, but is pricey now, (probably $500 plus). Ronald Stevens books have all recently been republished so should be very affordable.

Some others worth considering are:

The Art and Practice of Falconry by the Hon Gerald Lascelles
    Hints on Hawking by James Harting
    The Falcons Lure and Cure by Symon Latham

The first two were published in the Victorian days, Latham's book was published in the 1600's. It is written in old English which takes a while to get used to, but it is a gem.

Regards

Alex
    Hi Alex,

still a Brit at heart eh?
    I think you've rolled Lascelles' Art of Falconry and Fisher's Art and Practice of Hawking into one there. But both good books for sure.
    Funnily enough, I was looking through the bookshelves earlier and realised that of the hundreds of falconry books, it's the same handful that draw me back time and again.
    As someone said earlier, it's worth investing the money required to buy the best of those books.

Hope you're well,

Tony.

Stevens book has a brilliant chapter on making a falcon to the hood. Well worth getting just for that chapter alone.

Regards

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
    So far as good reading material about peregrines goes, you've had some great advice already.
    I'd suggest, reading between the lines, that Ronald Stevens' Observations on Modern Falconry should be first on your shopping list. Perhaps not entirely applicable to your hawking aspirations, but possibly the best thing ever written to acquaint the reader with the peregrine.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

Stevens book has a brilliant chapter on making a falcon to the hood. Well worth getting just for that chapter alone.

Regards

Alex
    Absolutely.
    I'd go so far as to say 'Observations' should be compulsory reading for anyone intending to fly peregrines.
    Sadly, at least in today's Britain, with its dumbed down falconry culture, it's not a book that is sought out as it deserves to be. The home life of many falcons, as well as many falconers, would be enhanced by an understanding of what is so easily available in that little book.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony,

Your right, well spotted. I'm a sucker for books, and hate to think how much money I have spent over the years.

Correction though-Fisher's book was "Reminiscences of a Falconer", Michell's was The Art and Practice, unless that is there is a book I dont know about!

Regards

Alex
    Hi Alex,

still a Brit at heart eh?
    I think you've rolled Lascelles' Art of Falconry and Fisher's Art and Practice of Hawking into one there. But both good books for sure.
    Funnily enough, I was looking through the bookshelves earlier and realised that of the hundreds of falconry books, it's the same handful that draw me back time and again.
    As someone said earlier, it's worth investing the money required to buy the best of those books.

Hope you're well,

Tony.
    Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

Tony,

Your right, well spotted. I'm a sucker for books, and hate to think how much money I have spent over the years.

Correction though-Fisher's book was "Reminiscences of a Falconer", Michell's was The Art and Practice, unless that is there is a book I dont know about!

Regards

Alex
    I can't believe I made a mistake like that, and especially so while being a smart arse!

Instead of looking for a book specifically on peregrines, just find a good one on training falcons in general. I have flown a small sampling of falcons, like 3 hybrids, 2 peregrines, and a saker, and for the most part they were much the same. I used the very same methods and techniques with them all, and the results were pretty much the same.
    In this country we tend to do a lot of different types of hawking that was not done in the old days across the Atlantic. So I think I would look for something that is more related to our kinds of hawking. If you have North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks you don't really need to spend a great deal more on books. Use that money for important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Instead of looking for a book specifically on peregrines, just find a good one on training falcons in general. I have flown a small sampling of falcons, like 3 hybrids, 2 peregrines, and a saker, and for the most part they were much the same. I used the very same methods and techniques with them all, and the results were pretty much the same.
    In this country we tend to do a lot of different types of hawking that was not done in the old days across the Atlantic. So I think I would look for something that is more related to our kinds of hawking. If you have North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks you don't really need to spend a great deal more on books. Use that money for important stuff.
    Hi Jack,

I guess you've read Steven's Observations and Turner's Gamehawk. How do you rate them?

Tony.

In spite of a huge amount of good material out there, if I could only choose one book it would be "Observations on Modern Falconry" by Ronald Stevens.
    Bob
    1 John 3:23

Jack,

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I feel that there is a huge amount to be gained from studying differing texts on falconry.

Limiting yourself to only one book would deny you access to an awful lot of knowledge.

Regards

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    If you have North American Falconry and Hunting Hawks you don't really need to spend a great deal more on books. Use that money for important stuff.
    Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

I agree totally with you Alex, and Tony, I haven't read Stevens's book but I love Turners book. I'm hoping to get "Observations" in a week or so. I respect many of the guys on here saying how good the book is. I'm never to old to learn something new, or be reminded of effective techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by STait View Post
    I agree totally with you Alex, and Tony, I haven't read Stevens's book but I love Turners book. I'm hoping to get "Observations" in a week or so. I respect many of the guys on here saying how good the book is. I'm never to old to learn something new, or be reminded of effective techniques.
    Hi Steve,

'Observations' is unlikely to alter what you do in the field, and frankly, given your obvious talents and experience, may alter little or nothing of what you do --- but I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear your thoughts on it.
    I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I remember talking to Ray about falconry literature, and the merits of various contributions. I told him that 'Observations' had been a revelation to me at the time I read it, and was interested to learn it had been to him also, some twenty years earlier (of course, ground breaking literature appears less ground breaking as its influence takes effect, much as can be seen with Ray's own book Gamehawk, but nonetheless, true classics remain forever relevant).

Sadly, the best of Stevens' observations remain unread by most modern falconers of even limited experience, who have little inclination to read chapters entitled 'Hooding and Manning', 'Taming' and suchlike, believing they have nothing left to learn in that respect.
    There are absolute gems littered throughout his book, and if just one of them makes a positive contribution to your falconry, well, I can't wait to hear.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Jack,

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I feel that there is a huge amount to be gained from studying differing texts on falconry.

Limiting yourself to only one book would deny you access to an awful lot of knowledge.

Regards

Alex
    Indeed Alex,

a willingness to learn from the experience of others can save many years wasted in pursuit of what has been made freely available.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony,

I'm sliding off here on a bit of a tangent, but is Ray still flying falcons? I never heard anything about him after the book was published, other than he was breeding peregrines.

Regards

Alex
    Hi Steve,

I remember talking to Ray about falconry literature, and the merits of various contributions. I told him that 'Observations' had been a revelation to me at the time I read it, and was interested to learn it had been to him also, some twenty years earlier (of course, ground breaking literature appears less ground breaking as its influence takes effect, much as can be seen with Ray's own book Gamehawk, but nonetheless, true classics remain forever relevant).

Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

Tony,

I'm sliding off here on a bit of a tangent, but is Ray still flying falcons? I never heard anything about him after the book was published, other than he was breeding peregrines.

Regards

Alex
    He does, but in a vastly different manner than as gamehawks. He told me about when I met him last time, please pm me if you want to know.
    Björn Eilers, Germany

Tony,

Regards

Alex
    Hi Alex,

Ray's passion, as Bjorn alludes to, is for the classic haut vol in particular, and he spends a good deal of time seeking out spectacular falconry.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Tony/Bjorn,

Interesting to know. I recall him writing about that in one of the concluding chapters in the book.

Maybe he thought he had seen the best of gamehawking and needed a new challenge.

Regards

Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by barbary06 View Post
    He does, but in a vastly different manner than as gamehawks. He told me about when I met him last time, please pm me if you want to know.
    Hi Alex,

Ray's passion, as Bjorn alludes to, is for the classic haut vol in particular, and he spends a good deal of time seeking out spectacular falconry.

Best wishes,

Tony.
    Alex Stokes
    Alberta, Canada

Tony, Stevens book may not change the basics of what I do in regards to training and such, but it sounds informative and well written. I have no doubt there's something in there for me to learn from.

I love all the suggestions and all the strong opinions. That should be a clue to some to get the books and maybe pick up on something new. If you just happen to get that one "different" BOP then maybe a different perspective or hawking style will help... just don't admit it later. All the books I've read that come from the same era can be helpful depending on the areas we live. I don't think its wasting money at all and we all know this lifestyle is not for the money challenged people. Regardless of the fact that ALL books might not help, I love reading about falconry, past and present. We can't lose the history of the sport that makes us all nuts!!!!!
    A.J.
    Litchfield Park, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by STait View Post
    Tony, Stevens book may not change the basics of what I do in regards to training and such, but it sounds informative and well written. I have no doubt there's something in there for me to learn from.
    Hi Steve.

Very few falconry books are without some little nugget that makes them worthwhile (even a book like the Ehon taka kagami, in which only the plates are understandable to me), and Stevens' Observations has many more nuggets than most.
    It's no coincidence that the best books are written by falconers who are both intelligent and well read themselves, and I can't help but be fascinated by the influences that shape us all, be that Latham to Turner, or Campbell to Stevens.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Thread Information