Thread: Hello All!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello All!

My name's Nelly and I'm from Toronto, ON, Canada. I've been interested in this sport for quite some time.

I guess I should rather say interested in the birds themselves since I started volunteering at a wildlife center a few years back. Raptors have quickly grown to become my favourite birds and after having worked with them more recently in a rehabilitation setting I have grown to love and respect them even more. I have always found it amazing and inspiring to see people flying these marvelous birds and its long been a wish of mine to be able to do the same.

As you may have already guessed I do not own a bird of my own or have started an apprenticeship yet. I am still in school and living at home so unfortunately it may be a little bit tricky to get started on something that I know will be time consuming. I have had an offer (actually earlier this morning) on starting an apprenticeship with a local falconer but I am still mulling it over and trying to make the best decision for the bird, myself and my parents.

That's what brought me here. I am looking to find out more answers on some questions I may have and more about the sport to ensure I'm making the right decision. Even if I don't get into the sport right away, I'm sure I will later on.

So hello to all on the forum and thank you for having a place like this available to those of us just thinking about starting up!
    Nelly from Toronto, ON.

Welcome Nelly. There's lots to learn and this is a great place to get some answers. You'll find some disagreement but the folks are great and very helpful.
    tom
    The greatest glory of a free-born people is to transmit that freedom to their children. W.Harvard

Hello and to NAFEX.
    Jim Blackwell
    "Mitakuye Oyasin"

Welcome! It is a hard decision and you have to take the birds welfare in the highest consideration when getting into the sport. I personally have two jobs and a family. I got a kestrel because I know I can hunt my bird in between jobs and also I am very fortunate that I can bring my bird to both of mu jobs. I'm not saying get a kestrel. I am just giving you an example. If you you that you can spare an hour or two three a week preferably more you can get yourself started in falconry. Good luck and again look around here. Lot's of good reading!
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Thank you Tom, Jim and Rey for the kind welcome!

I commend you Rey for managing all of that at once. Kestrels were actually my preferred bird although the gentleman I spoke to about the apprenticeship had said to start with a Harris Hawk or a Red-tailed Hawk at first.

I've actually ended up deciding against the apprenticeship and sadly it is due to housing the bird. I live in a townhouse where the backyard is right up against my neighbours. It also faces the park and I don't think it would be the best location for a hawk to live in. I think it will have to wait until I either live on my own or have found somewhere to house my hawk.

I thank you for the advice though. I will definitely continue on this forum to gain as much information as I can about it all!
    Nelly from Toronto, ON.

Welcome to NAFEX.
    Tim Marshall-Lasting change, the kind that liberates nations, ends a dark age, or moves mankind forward does not occur by laws or mandates, and not by war or coercion. It happens one heart at a time, slowly, and only with noble passion.

Thread Information