Thread: Can't wait for September 1 to get here.

Default Can't wait for September 1 to get here.

Hi - I'm Dennis. Im a new member to NAFEX. A little history on my experience in Falconry: Got my license when I turned 14 way back in 1977. I flew mainly Red Tailed hawks from 1977 until 1988. Luckily I grew up in rural West Georgia and had access to unlimited hunting land. The main quarry was Squirrell with an ocassional rabbit. My sponsor in 1977 was Tim Dobbs. Tim was and still is a great falconer and good friend. I had the chance to fly with many of the early falconers in Georgia - just a few were Malcolm Edwards, Ed Scruggs, Greg Dobbs, Don Nixon, Don Ball, Joel Volpi. Could'nt ask for any better role models for a 14 year old kid. I was fortunate to be able to fly birds while in college; however, after college my career choice included constant travel. Unfortunately, I had to make the heart breaking choice to turn my birds loose and go into the professional world. Now - I'm 47 with my own business that allows me to be home everyday. Also, still live in rural Georgia with plenty of hunting options left. My new Mews and Weathering area are ready and I'm waiting for the Feds to reinstate my license.

Can't wait - anticipation is killing me. Just wanted to introduce myself. Hope everyone has a great season.

In closing, It's really amazing to me the quality of members that are on this Forum. Legends - is truly a better desription of the falconers that we all have access to. To these Legends - thanks for the guidance and inspirations.

Where about's in GA are you, Dennis?
    the consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere......... swinging in the air.

I'm right across the state line in alabama. Maybe we can get together to hunt sometime.
    Ross Spafford

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Where about's in GA are you, Dennis?
    Hi Jimmy,
    I live in Winston, Ga. Exit 30 (Post Rd) off of I20. I'm currently waiting on the DNR to process my new application etc.... but I hope to be ready to start trapping on Sept. 1. On another subject - I am interested in getting Harris Hawks between now and next year. In fact I would be interested in flying a Cast. I know that you are a Harris Hawk breeder and would like your input as to best combinations for flying Cast. I was around when Malcolm was flying his Harris Hawks (Male and Female) back in late 70's early 80's. Really alot of fun. Email me your phone and I'll be in touck.
    Thanks - Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ross.Spafford View Post
    I'm right across the state line in alabama. Maybe we can get together to hunt sometime.
    Hi Ross,
    Would absolutely be great to hit the woods with you. I live in Winston, Ga. Exit 30 on I-20. Currently awaiting DNR on processing new application. Please email me your phone# and I'll call you once I have everything in place.

Thanks - Dennis Miller

Is the DNR gonna make you start over, Dennis? Or pick up where you left off, as they should do?

As for the cast, what do you plan to hunt mostly? If squirrels like most of us here, I'd go with 2 females as a first choice. One of each as the second choice. If you're gonna try and just chase rabbits, it really doesn't matter.
    the consequence of conscience, is that you'll be left somewhere......... swinging in the air.

Hi Jimmy,
    I've sent an affidavit from a few of the guys that I flew with along with my application. Based on my conversations with rep from Fed - I should be able to be reinstated at General falconer. Only issue is that they are really backed up and can't give me a date. I would hope in the next month. I've pretty much got everything ready for inspection. If I can get everything done in time and you still have birds available - maybe we can talk about some options on Harris hawks. In regards to quarry - based on available quarry I will be flying alot of squirrel with the ocassional local rabbit. If I can find some good rabbit land in south Ga. I will do that on ocassion. My original sponsor was Tim Dobbs. Tim lives in Midland, Tx. and has mentioned a good population of Jacks in his neighborhood. I guess the answer is I plan on hunting when, where, and whatever I can.

Curious as to your afiliations / membership at one of the Falconry Club. When I was flying I was involved with The Georgia Hawkers. Obviously now there is the Georgia Falconry Assoc. and Georgia Game Hawkers. They both seem to be very well respected organizations with very good falconers. I can be emailed at den63hawk@yahoo.com or reached on cell - 678-873-7781.

Thanks - Dennis Miller

I'm the current president of the gamehawkers. We just had our picnic last weekend. If you had posted sooner, I'd have sent ya an invite.

Good luck with the feds. They are WAY behind, and falconry/propagation is on the back burner to all the other permits. I sent my prop renewal in on Jan. 1st, and I still haven't received my renewed permit. I spoke with them a week or two ago, and had an interesting conversation. They're way understaffed right now, and unfortunately, we aren't the priority.

I've got a male and a female not spoken for right now, ready in September. And one of my birds just laid an egg today to start another clutch. If I decide to hatch those, they'll be ready to go about December.

I'll shoot you a PM with my contact stuff..........

Regarding the cast thing, I have a male and a female from Jimmy and they've been great birds. The male was hunted by someone else on rabbits for his first 2 seasons, and is pretty sure footed. He caught a bunch of squirrels this year and didn't have much trouble with bites. If I have him at an ideal weight, he'll usually catch the squirrels before the female. If I fly him heavy, he'll chase them to her.
    Ross Spafford

I don't know the specifics of what Jimmy found out, but if it starts to come down to the wire, you might consider walking your permit through. Not sure if you'd be able to do so with the reinstatement thing, but the first time I got my permit as an apprentice, and when I upgraded to general, I walked it through both times and everyone was very accommodating. It's a good deal of driving between where you live, Social Circle, and Atlanta (and back to Social Circle), but it got it done for me. Of course, this was a couple/few years ago when I upgraded, and as Jimmy said, things have changed. Might be something you could inquire about though.
    Dave Hampton
    http://www.falconryconservancy.org/
    "Wars begin where you will, but they do not end where you please." Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by sevristh View Post
    I don't know the specifics of what Jimmy found out, but if it starts to come down to the wire, you might consider walking your permit through. Not sure if you'd be able to do so with the reinstatement thing, but the first time I got my permit as an apprentice, and when I upgraded to general, I walked it through both times and everyone was very accommodating. It's a good deal of driving between where you live, Social Circle, and Atlanta (and back to Social Circle), but it got it done for me. Of course, this was a couple/few years ago when I upgraded, and as Jimmy said, things have changed. Might be something you could inquire about though.
    Thanks for the input Dave. I'm going to give it a couple of more weeks, and if nothing happens I'll do exactly what you are suggesting. I see that you are in Carrollton, I happen to have a lot of time recorded at West Ga. College. I graduated from there in 1986. Seems like yesterday. I hope we can get together and dispatch some squirrel / rabbit in the future.
    Dennis Miller
    Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Ross.Spafford View Post
    Regarding the cast thing, I have a male and a female from Jimmy and they've been great birds. The male was hunted by someone else on rabbits for his first 2 seasons, and is pretty sure footed. He caught a bunch of squirrels this year and didn't have much trouble with bites. If I have him at an ideal weight, he'll usually catch the squirrels before the female. If I fly him heavy, he'll chase them to her.
    That was what I was leaning toward when I began thinking about getting together a cast. My thinking was 2 prone - flying style of both male and female - and possible small scale propogation a few years down the road. Getting kinda late at this point. Maybe I'll get lucky and get permit before all the birds are taken. If not -I'll trap and fly a red tail this season and see how I feel next summer.

Thanks for the perspective - Dennis
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information