Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
I used the 1" biothane since it was closest to what I was taught to use and i would think spreads any forces over a larger area. I actually prefer to keep the leather inner for now. Since they're removable anklets and don't need to be destroyed to remove them, I can still pop them off during any downtime to recondition or peel/replace the leather pad and make sure there's no leg problems being hidden from view. I would also argue the leather molds better to any abnormalities and helps relieve pressure spots. I didn't worry about that as much with all leather anklets sine I knew they would stretch a bit.

As a side note I am toying with the idea of biothane jesses. Those I'm sick of stretching out over time.
I would expect you will find the leather lasts a VERY long time. It is really doing nothing more than padding your anklet, and that puts very minimal strain on the leather.

I live 3 miles away from a bonifide rainforest. As famous as Seattle is for constant rain, I get a lot more at my house.

I used leather lined braided anklets and the leather lasted as long as I used the anklets. I didn't actually replace the leather, or replace worn out anklets - I switched to another design that I liked better after 4 years of use. Those anklets are still fully functional, and sitting in a box in case they are needed.