Thread: Synthetic Anklet Material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's my first set of biothane anklets for this season. I used the forming kit supplied by western sporting and I am very pleased with what I received. I primarily squirrel hawk so I added studs and lined the interior with leather as I typically do

-Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

Quote Originally Posted by bellerophon View Post
    Here's my first set of biothane anklets for this season. I used the forming kit supplied by western sporting and I am very pleased with what I received. I primarily squirrel hawk so I added studs and lined the interior with leather as I typically do

Very nice!
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

will this work for smaller birds...AK ?
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by REYNALDO View Post
    will this work for smaller birds...AK ?
    western sportings site says
    Each kit includes a set of 8 aluminum rods that are comparable to the sizes of anklets worn by many species of raptors. These aluminum rods range in diameter from 1/4" up to 11/16."
    I've never flown a micro so I'm not sure if 1/4" diameter is small enough for them
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

I would think so. what I use for my anklets for my ak is a bic pen. this will give me an inside diameter of 0.319" this gives the anklet a lot of play on my birds legs. I'm not sure what that is in fraction. I would like to try this material for an ak.
    anyone here used them before for micro birds?
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

great job with your anklets Lee!
    Rey

Warren, Michigan

Default Biothane anklets.

Hi, how did you attach the leather linings.
    Steve Skinner.

Lee, just thinking out loud here but did you consider using a wider piece of biothane for the inside piece instead of leather? I haven't made a pair yet but I have 3/4, 5/8, and 1/2 inch size biothane. I was thinking the whole reason to use biothane was it wouldn't wear out where the leather on the inside would wear out way before the biothane and you would have to replace it probably after a season. I know you fringed it at the top and bottom but my understanding is you don't have to fringe the biothane. Again, just thinking out loud because I have no experience with biothane yet.
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by FredFogg View Post
    Lee, just thinking out loud here but did you consider using a wider piece of biothane for the inside piece instead of leather? I haven't made a pair yet but I have 3/4, 5/8, and 1/2 inch size biothane. I was thinking the whole reason to use biothane was it wouldn't wear out where the leather on the inside would wear out way before the biothane and you would have to replace it probably after a season. I know you fringed it at the top and bottom but my understanding is you don't have to fringe the biothane. Again, just thinking out loud because I have no experience with biothane yet.
    I used the 1" biothane since it was closest to what I was taught to use and i would think spreads any forces over a larger area. I actually prefer to keep the leather inner for now. Since they're removable anklets and don't need to be destroyed to remove them, I can still pop them off during any downtime to recondition or peel/replace the leather pad and make sure there's no leg problems being hidden from view. I would also argue the leather molds better to any abnormalities and helps relieve pressure spots. I didn't worry about that as much with all leather anklets sine I knew they would stretch a bit.

As a side note I am toying with the idea of biothane jesses. Those I'm sick of stretching out over time.
    -Lee *3rd year General*
    Maryland (DC area)

I used the 1" biothane since it was closest to what I was taught to use and i would think spreads any forces over a larger area. I actually prefer to keep the leather inner for now. Since they're removable anklets and don't need to be destroyed to remove them, I can still pop them off during any downtime to recondition or peel/replace the leather pad and make sure there's no leg problems being hidden from view. I would also argue the leather molds better to any abnormalities and helps relieve pressure spots. I didn't worry about that as much with all leather anklets sine I knew they would stretch a bit.

As a side note I am toying with the idea of biothane jesses. Those I'm sick of stretching out over time.
    I would expect you will find the leather lasts a VERY long time. It is really doing nothing more than padding your anklet, and that puts very minimal strain on the leather.

I live 3 miles away from a bonifide rainforest. As famous as Seattle is for constant rain, I get a lot more at my house.

I used leather lined braided anklets and the leather lasted as long as I used the anklets. I didn't actually replace the leather, or replace worn out anklets - I switched to another design that I liked better after 4 years of use. Those anklets are still fully functional, and sitting in a box in case they are needed.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Thread Information