Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC Articles

Default OC Articles

Thought I would be nice to get a list of falconry OC articles and the Journals they are found in. I've come crossed a few of Layman’s in some old NAFA publications but other than those few nothing else. Will have to look up the ones I found after work.

missy
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

There is Laymans "Hawk Whispering" in the April 2001 Hawk Chalk
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by Shehawker View Post
    There is Laymans "Hawk Whispering" in the April 2001 Hawk Chalk
    Any that you can post a link to?
    Tim A.

Here's a link to a Karen Pryor article on operant condition of hawks for falconry:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/282
    Mike O'Keefe
    Blue Grass, Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Here's a link to a Karen Pryor article on operant condition of hawks for falconry:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/282
    Good website, there are a few books and videos I plan on buying, a book on training Chickens caught my eye
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by canvibe View Post
    Good website, there are a few books and videos I plan on buying, a book on training Chickens caught my eye
    lol, Don't buy a book on training chickens: go to a chicken camp! It'll change your life as a trainer!
    Audrey Marquis, Rouyn-Noranda, Canada

I don't have one, you will probably have to get a copy of that HC. The Modern Apprentice site also has some good stuff on it.
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

What is it you want to train your hawk to do? Chances are its been done for several thousand years under another name......
    Bill

About the Hawk Chalk: how could I have access to past issues? Are they available somewhere on the net, for sale maybe, or scanned? i feel like I've been missing a lot of things.
    Audrey Marquis, Rouyn-Noranda, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kitana View Post
    About the Hawk Chalk: how could I have access to past issues? Are they available somewhere on the net, for sale maybe, or scanned? i feel like I've been missing a lot of things.
    They are only available to NAFA members. If you are a NAFA member, you can get a copy of any article from any publication by contacting the Archives of Falconry. They do charge a copying fee, last I paid attention it was $6.

When Kent Carnie was the curator he was very good at knowing what issue a particular article came from just by the name of the author or the subject matter, but you should know the month and year before contacting the archives.

You could also ask a NAFA member to do the copying for you if they have the article.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Thanks Geoff, that is good to know as I do not have that HC copy either. Stumbled on a reference to it while going through the archives of the Yahoo Falconry OC group and was just going to try and track it down through friends that might have it. Still need to dig out my HCs from storage as there are several others I know of.

For anyone that is interested I have also been going through those archives indexing the posts (by number only) into what I think are relevant topics (hooding, imprints, aggression, exercises, ect) You will still need to be a member of the group to look the posts up, but if it is alright with Paul I'll put it up here when its done. Loads of good stuff in there!

missy
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    What is it you want to train your hawk to do? Chances are its been done for several thousand years under another name......
    Refinement of course
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by outhawkn View Post
    How about play basketball with a ping pong ball?
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"

Quote Originally Posted by goshawkr View Post
    How about play basketball with a ping pong ball?
    That would be something to see
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by canvibe View Post
    That would be something to see
    It could be fun - we could set up leagues - and challenge some parrot folks to a game. OF course, when the hawks loose they just might get frustrated and eat the other team.

Somehow the sacrelidge of teaching my falconry hawk to play innane parrot games is very appealing. Anyone who thinks I am not a serious falconer simply needs to spend some time in the field with me - but there is no reason it cant be fun and even irreverant as well.

It could be fun - we could set up leagues - and challenge some parrot folks to a game. OF course, when the hawks loose they just might get frustrated and eat the other team.

Somehow the sacrelidge of teaching my falconry hawk to play innane parrot games is very appealing. Anyone who thinks I am not a serious falconer simply needs to spend some time in the field with me - but there is no reason it cant be fun and even irreverant as well.
    Slicing on command, can you imagine the possibilities
    Greg

Ahh just stand over here sir...

In American Falconry Volume 52 is Jim Nelson's article on hood and high level tidbiting
    In the December 2001 Hawk Chalk is an article on dealing with aggression in the Imprint Coopers Hawk by Steve Layman.
    April 1994 Hawk Chalk has Steve has one on the "conditioned response" and jumps ups
    The 2001 California Hawking Club Journal is supposed to have several good articles in it.

That’s all I can find for now.

missy
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

Thanks Geoff, that is good to know as I do not have that HC copy either. Stumbled on a reference to it while going through the archives of the Yahoo Falconry OC group and was just going to try and track it down through friends that might have it. Still need to dig out my HCs from storage as there are several others I know of.

For anyone that is interested I have also been going through those archives indexing the posts (by number only) into what I think are relevant topics (hooding, imprints, aggression, exercises, ect) You will still need to be a member of the group to look the posts up, but if it is alright with Paul I'll put it up here when its done. Loads of good stuff in there!

missy
    Fine by me, go for it!
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Was just about to PM you about that. Only to post 400 right now, and there are about 1800 so it may be awhile.
    Lots of fun stuff though, favorite quote so far
    "I am a perch, not a catapult"
    so true..

missy
    Melissa (Missy) Wardle

I also have a version of Layman's "Hawk Whisperer" article in Word format that he sent to me. I don't know what the copyright rules are for posting it.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    I also have a version of Layman's "Hawk Whisperer" article in Word format that he sent to me. I don't know what the copyright rules are for posting it.
    It should just be a question of asking Steve, but last I checked into it NAFA was insisting on giving their blessing first for items published in NAFA publications.

If I may take a moment for an off topic rant, the fact that NAFA does not pay for contributions to their publications in any fashion AND that they insist on takeing ownership of them is precisely why I have never submitted any material to them. If some NAFA board member were to effect change of that policy, I would gladly submit material. Either pay me for my work or let me keep ownership of it. Then again, I dont think NAFA's claim of ownership would ever stand up to a challenge against the original author.

It should just be a question of asking Steve, but last I checked into it NAFA was insisting on giving their blessing first for items published in NAFA publications.

If I may take a moment for an off topic rant, the fact that NAFA does not pay for contributions to their publications in any fashion AND that they insist on takeing ownership of them is precisely why I have never submitted any material to them. If some NAFA board member were to effect change of that policy, I would gladly submit material. Either pay me for my work or let me keep ownership of it. Then again, I dont think NAFA's claim of ownership would ever stand up to a challenge against the original author.
    That used to be so Geoff, but reading the last page in the latest HC Kenn Filkins has cleared the way by posting what the new bylaws read.

The NAFA copyrights cover the publications and uses submitted articles, stories, cartoons, photographs, and artwork on a one-time basis by permission. The ownership of the articles, stories, cartoons, photographs and artwork remains with the author/writer, photographer or artist. Permission to reprint a specific article, story, photo, cartoon or artwork is granted by the author/writer, photographer or artist.
    Paul Domski
    New Mexico, USA

Was just about to PM you about that. Only to post 400 right now, and there are about 1800 so it may be awhile.
    Lots of fun stuff though, favorite quote so far
    "I am a perch, not a catapult"
    so true..

missy
    Hi Missy.

Just for being willing to go through all that material, I am compelled to buy you a beverage of your choice in Vernal. Thats a lot of work....

This Index you are putting together should probably be its own thread. Perhaps there should be one index for print, and another for the yahoo forum? Would be nice to have it (them?) as a stickey at the top of the OC sub forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Saluqi View Post
    That used to be so Geoff, but reading the last page in the latest HC Kenn Filkins has cleared the way by posting what the new bylaws read.

The NAFA copyrights cover the publications and uses submitted articles, stories, cartoons, photographs, and artwork on a one-time basis by permission. The ownership of the articles, stories, cartoons, photographs and artwork remains with the author/writer, photographer or artist. Permission to reprint a specific article, story, photo, cartoon or artwork is granted by the author/writer, photographer or artist.
    Well in that case, let me break out my pen and get an article written for the journal...

Just talked to Steve Layman and he doesn't remember the date of publication for the article "Passage to Imprint". What is the date for that and can I get a copy from someone?

Love what you are doing with the index! I look forward to seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Rev View Post
    Just talked to Steve Layman and he doesn't remember the date of publication for the article "Passage to Imprint". What is the date for that and can I get a copy from someone?

Love what you are doing with the index! I look forward to seeing it.
    I have a photo copy of it at home - I'll try to remember to look it up. I could send it to you as a PDF, if I can remember.

Thanks Geoff. A PDF would be perfect.

I believe the article I'm looking for is in the April '96 Hawk Chalk. I'll check my stack when I get home to make sure I didn't overlook it.

I have passage to imprint somewhere on my phone, ill try and dig it up this weekend. I read every post on that yahoo group this spring/summer, some great stuff there. The first 800 or so messages had some of these articles and some unique exchanges.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Whoever has the article, I would love a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    I have passage to imprint somewhere on my phone, ill try and dig it up this weekend. I read every post on that yahoo group this spring/summer, some great stuff there. The first 800 or so messages had some of these articles and some unique exchanges.
    In that case, I'll just defer to you providing it.

It would be nice to have a library of that material somewhere though. I could set up a spot on my webserver to host it if someone dosnt have a better location. I know Layman would love to have them all available online somewhere.

In that case, I'll just defer to you providing it.

It would be nice to have a library of that material somewhere though. I could set up a spot on my webserver to host it if someone dosnt have a better location. I know Layman would love to have them all available online somewhere.
    I only have it in a paper copy and don't have access to a good scanner at the moment. It is in the April 1996 Hawk Chalk for anyone who's interested.
    -Jeff
    "You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." --Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by JRedig View Post
    I only have it in a paper copy and don't have access to a good scanner at the moment. It is in the April 1996 Hawk Chalk for anyone who's interested.
    In that case I will scan it sometime in the next few days.

Those who are interested in it should PM me an email address.

In that case I will scan it sometime in the next few days.

Those who are interested in it should PM me an email address.
    I still havnt managed to get this scanned, but I did get several requests.

I'll post here when I have sent them out.

Thanks Geoff.
    Stavros Lehoudis
    Athens/Greece

Thread Information