Thread: Hello from NE Ohio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello from NE Ohio

Hi Folks, I have had a facination with the Redtail since child hood. I am now 56 and still have it to the point I would like to be involved in Falconry. Based on my research it appears to be a major commitment. So I am in the decision making process . I am curious if Falconers actually have a life considering from what I have been reading its a 365 day a year commitment. Do you take Vacations or long weekends to do other things? What happens with your birds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Hi Folks, I have had a facination with the Redtail since child hood. I am now 56 and still have it to the point I would like to be involved in Falconry. Based on my research it appears to be a major commitment. So I am in the decision making process . I am curious if Falconers actually have a life considering from what I have been reading its a 365 day a year commitment. Do you take Vacations or long weekends to do other things? What happens with your birds etc.
    Falconry really kind of becomes a part of your life. Vacations can be taken if you have a fellow falconer that lives close by and you trust them enough to take care of your bird at the same standards as you do. It depends on the bird as well. Vacations are more than possible but not as easy as it would be if you had a domestic pet.
    Isaac

I am leaving for a week of trapping this Saturday and I have 3 birds at home and all I do is have someone throw food to them through their food chute each day. So yes, you can go on vacations during the off season. During the hunting season, most of your vacations will evolve around going hunting, so you will have your bird/birds with you. You will soon find out that falconry isn't a hobby, it really is a life style. My vacations are trips to the coast to trap falcons or driving 20+ hours straight to go to a state in the midwest to hunt my birds for a week. I have a son that lives in Hawaii and I can't seem to find the time to go out there because of my falconry, spring time is breeding seasons, can't get away, fall is trapping and hunting season, hmmm, can't get away. LOL It's a sickness, run, run very far away! LOL
    Fred
    "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kind of figured thats whats done with the birds during a vacation. Not like you can drop her off at the local bird sanctuary! First thing I need is to find out if there is any Falconers in the Northeast Ohio area before I persue the sport. Not having much luck with that yet.

I lived in NE Ohio till about 2 years ago. There is a good number of great falconers in the Cleveland area. You should join the Ohio Falconry Association.

Also for vacations, you can trap a red-tailed in the fall and release it in the spring so you will have your summers without a bird and can spend time with family and vacations. I have an old apprentice that does this and works great for her.
    Aimee P.

Oddly enough the Ohio meet was this past Sunday in Columbus. I was unable to attend. It would have been a great place to meet fellow Falconers and join the OFA that day. Definatly plan on going next year. Interesting concept on the vacation solution. Not sure i would not get attached to a bird be able to release it lol.

Joby Guest

Hi Nighthawk!
    Welcome to our obsession. Before the police get on you, you'll want to sign your posts with at least your real first name. It's one of the only rules we have around here and it helps keep things "pleasant" if you know what I mean.

Sorry you missed the picnic on Sunday here in Columbus. I'm the OFA Apprentice Director, so if you're interested in joining the club shoot me a pm and I'll get you straightened away. Also, I spent a good deal of time in the NE part of the state, as my sponsor was from the area. There are indeed a lot of good falconers, that I count also amongst my friends, up in your neck of the woods.
    -Joe

Thread Information