Quote Originally Posted by ericedw View Post
They are certainly bigger and stronger but they also can't fly away or leave the tank. Go trap a wild one and train it in the ocean
They can most certainly get away, or they could kill you. Some of the marine mammals I worked with were old enough that they were from the wild, and there are also places where they work with their animals in the ocean.

But seriously, I've trained and consulted a little on marine mamal training. And it's a huge advantage that you're operating in a VERY controled and consistent environment.
You are right about advantages of having certain situations being "controled", but I don't see it any different with these birds. There are some situations that are more controled and some that are not.

As far as the hood. It's an invaluable tool that most birds do not object to. And it's there for safety and to reduce the stress on the bird. There are times when an animal needs to be transported and very few of them do that well with it.
I agree 100%, transport is a huge stressor on most animals.

I did bird shows for years and when you would travel to a new venue you would spend days or weeks getting some of the birds to get comfortable with certain doorways, halls or even strange equipment. I wish I could have hooded parrots, storks, cranes and the rest. The hood is a wonderful tool that few birds object to once they are trained to it. Much like blinders on a horse it has a calming effect on the bird and makes the journey less stressful. (whether the journey is 100 miles or 100 feet)
Desense isn't easy, and sometimes seems impossible. I think maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to carry the hood over to other bird species.

It's not hard to train a red tail to the hood. Most falconers don't do enough "training" (I know I don't) to the hood, we get to the point of being able to get it on and that's about it. But I have had birds that I worked with more and at the approach of the hood would close the membrane over their eye and lean forward into the hood. I'm sure you could accomplish this with all birds if you wanted.
This is exactly the point I want to try and make it with any bird of mine. I'm shootin' for getting that darn thing to put the hood on itself!