Quote Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
Probably should ask anyone that has a bird at flying weight and being driven to the field where potential normal prey is seen along the way. The bird will use up all of its available energy bating at the passing prey. Thing about birds is that they are highly reactive to stimuli which is one of the reasons that they are generally readily trained compared to some other life forms. But, they do not normally have much ability to turn this reactivity off or tune it out, it isn't in their nature. You will thank them profusely for their reactive nature when you get out there and are hawking with one. Because trust me, when the conditions are uncomfortable for you and your bird is in a tree being calm and non-reactive to anything you are offering it...you'll be cursing profusely!
It can be a completely different story with some species when they are not at flying weight. Some will sit comfortably and ride across town through traffic etc., while other species (accipiters for example) would probably bate themselves to death in fear due to their very intolerant nature when above their flying weight and caught in slow traffic with full visual disclosure.
Again, I don't want anyone to set any animal in a vehicle going down the road and it not be safely restrained for everyone's safety. I would suggest that most animals are reactive to stimuli, just depends on what that stimuli is, and it's also different between individuals. What other animals are not readily trained? Are you sure they don't tune it out or over react because they don't get desensed properly? I see so much emphasis on reinforcing the bird for hunting, no wonder that's what it wants to get out and do, it baits because it's not getting anything for sitting on the glove. The bird is trained that you ain't gettin' nothin' here (lol like that NC slang), so why would it not try to get out there as soon as it can see? Does anyone have this problem but still reinforce heavily/regularly while they sit in the car (which you shouldn't do) or hang out on the glove?