Thread: Hello from Utah

Default Hello from Utah

Well I guess I better say hello to everyone here. I am pr-apprentice. I have read a ton and "believe " I am ready for the test and then on to building my mews. I am hoping to have my first retail this time next year. I was introduced to falconry by my cousin since I am a huge fan of Aviation and he thought this would be fun for me. I guess you could say I am addicted. I really got on here to see how many Utah's do this but quickly found out it didn't matter where you lived you were all still good friends which has only encouraged my addiction. well I will shut up now just wanted to say Hello.
    Gerrick Huntsman
    Apprentice

Welcome to the rest of your life. Hey if you have time, the NAFA meet is in Vernal this year and it was some of the most beautiful hawking I have ever done there. Attend if you can, many falconers will take people out with them, and you will never have a better opportunity to see a zillion different types of birds.
    Sue
    Sue

Hi Gerrick:
    Glad to meet you and wish you the best on your testing and getting set up and ready to go. Your new lifestyle awaits you.
    Thanks, Keith Denman
    desertdragonfalconry.com

Quote Originally Posted by GHuntsman View Post
    Well I guess I better say hello to everyone here. I am pr-apprentice. I have read a ton and "believe " I am ready for the test and then on to building my mews. I am hoping to have my first retail this time next year. I was introduced to falconry by my cousin since I am a huge fan of Aviation and he thought this would be fun for me. I guess you could say I am addicted. I really got on here to see how many Utah's do this but quickly found out it didn't matter where you lived you were all still good friends which has only encouraged my addiction. well I will shut up now just wanted to say Hello.

Where in Tooele do you live? We fly almost everyday. We only fly falcons out here, but you are welcome to tag along if you want to see our birds fly. As for getting a redtail, you'll be doing a lot of driving to fly it on rabbits, there aren't really any rabbits in this valley anymore (1 or 2 every couple hours don't count for much). Rush valley and out towards Dugway still has some good fields, but not many. It is a shame..

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Proctor View Post
    Where in Tooele do you live? We fly almost everyday. We only fly falcons out here, but you are welcome to tag along if you want to see our birds fly. As for getting a redtail, you'll be doing a lot of driving to fly it on rabbits, there aren't really any rabbits in this valley anymore (1 or 2 every couple hours don't count for much). Rush valley and out towards Dugway still has some good fields, but not many. It is a shame..
    Gerrick, I don't know what Utah's apprentice regulations are like but a merlin might be better than a redtail for you, if like Chris says, there isn't much game suitable for a redtail in your area. That is a big problem in the west I think for apprentice's that can only fly redtails and kestrels. If you don't have a good rabbit population your pretty much stuck. Talk with some of the other falconers in your area and see what they think. And by all means take up Chris's offer to tag along.
    Richard

Depending on the experience level of his one-day sponsor he may be better off with a redtail if that is what the sponsor only has experience with. Merlins and Kestrels are tough to manage for an apprentice unless the sponsor has had success with them. I think a really small tiercel harris hawk would be the best choice for out here for an apprentice not flying a longwing. We have plenty of doves and pigeons to chase for a small male harris'. Accipiters work great out here too, but again the problem comes up with if your sponsor can actually show you how to handle and train one.

If you are willing to do the drive a few times a week out to Dugway or rush valley, a redtail will suit you just fine, just keep in mind that you are looking at 30-45 minutes one way each outing to find a suitable rabbit field, and by that I mean rabbits you can flush every 10 minutes for the bird. If you can find a field around here that has some rabbits in it, keep it a secret :-)

This valley used to have thousands of jack rabbits, but like most places they tend to get shot out of the area.

Default Hello

Hey Chris I am really happy to see you posted on here. When I saw you were in Tooele I hoped you could be one of my Falconry contacts here in Tooele. I only live on the other side of 1000 from you and was interested in getting some hoods from you in the future. I would love to go out with you and see the falcons in flight. I have been talking to Mr. Killpack in Grantsville and he has tried to encourage Peregrines or Gyr's as well since the falconers up here are Longwingers. The reason I chose a Redtail is because that is what my cousin had and I feel it a right of passage to trap a Redtail. I was very much interested in switching to Harris's after I went general. The more I look into flight behavior and opportunities with the Longwingers I have started to be more sixes on that and will more than likely get an Anatumn Peregrine at some point. If I can find a sponsor near by that wants me to do that longwing thing that is definitely the route I would take but I know I will eventually trap a wild Redtail (right of passage thing). I also like the Redtail because it is just a beautiful bird and I believe it is a under appreciated bird not to mention it is my wife's favorite (so far). I haven't found a bird that I would want to stay away from really but I would prefer not to go near the small birds like the kbird or merlin. I know they can be fun but I have a thing for the larger more "showy" species.
    Gerrick Huntsman
    Apprentice

Default Hunting

Oh and I was planning on going down by EG&G or Vernon for rabbits. I know of some places around Stockton that WERE good but like you said they have all been shot up and thought if I got further out of town then I would have a better shot at it.

As far as Vernal goes. I am definitely going to try and go. I have family there I Haven't seen in a little bit so I could stay with them and poke in at the meet and get to know some more people in this sport. Oh and of course seeing all the stars of the show. Anytime you can see a bird of prey you can consider it a great day.
    Gerrick Huntsman
    Apprentice

Good to have ya here!

Hope to hear more from ya in the furture; please keep us posted!

caleb
    Caleb Stroh
    Kaysville, UT

Just PM me if you want to watch the birds fly, we're usually in the field late afternoon each day..

Default I am ruined

Fred,Chris, and Matt I think you guys "ruined" me. I haven't stopped thinking about duck hawking and everything will longwingers and so now I am sure that's the route I want to go.
    Gerrick Huntsman
    Apprentice

Thread Information