Thread: OC definition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default OC definition

Is there an official definition for OC? I might be using some of these techniques (OC) already and not even realizing it.
    Rick Mayo

and to respond to your comment...you are using it (and responding to it) almost every waking second of your day it's kinda like gravity in that sense.

Andy Hall

Quote Originally Posted by andy hall View Post
    and to respond to your comment...you are using it (and responding to it) almost every waking second of your day it's kinda like gravity in that sense.

Andy Hall
    I'd like to clarify this a little.

OC encompasses some very technical concepts, terminologies, and techniques. Those are pretty cut and dried - either you know or you dont. Either you use it or you dont. Simple. (ok, not really, but lets leave it simple for now).

However, OC was developed by studying very carefully how animals learn and what motivates them. Its underlying theory primarily focuses on reward based methods, but certainly examines the effects of punishment based methods as well (and discounts them as being counter productive).

So, while you may not know and use OC, if your teaching using reward based methods you are using some of the basic biological principals that OC takes advantage of.

And this is where my "simple" statement above falls apart. If someone using OC conciously is working off of the same biological principals as someone who is NOT using OC, is there a real difference in the training methods used? I would submit that there is not, with the exception that the guy using OC can articulate and understand what is going on in ways that the other fella cannot.

I can take OC terminology and apply it to anyone who is using reward based training, and describe what they are doing in OC jargon. Well, maybe not me because I am not really all that well studied in it - I just study it enough to use it to make my training more productive. But someone could.
    Geoff Hirschi - "It is better to have lightning in the fist than thunder in the mouth"
    Custom made Tail Saver Perches - http://www.myrthwood.com/TieEmHigh/

Krys Langevin
    There's nothing like a trail of blood to find your way back home.

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/videogame/mario.gif Mario Nickerson
    www.Dirthawking.com
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike bar...

Thanks. I just hand ginger ale come out my nose.
    JEN

Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever towards it; let naught stop you or turn you aside.

I have a feeling lmgtfy is going to get alot of use...
    Greg

Thanks....that was easy
    Rick Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Is there an official definition for OC? I might be using some of these techniques (OC) already and not even realizing it.
    Falconers have been using OC for as long as there has been falconry............
    Bill

Thread Information